[RESOLVED] NoScript blocking Startpage & DuckDuckGo

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Blackbird

[RESOLVED] NoScript blocking Startpage & DuckDuckGo

Post by Blackbird »

Windows 10.0.19041.19041 (2004 upgrade, patched to current), NoScript 11.2.1 extension in Vivaldi 3.6.2165.36 browser

Starting just today (16 February 2021), NoScript is suddenly blocking the ability to search for a textual search term on the Web on NoScript-'trusted' Startpage and DuckDuckGo search engines when using the search bar in the Vivaldi browser. Prior to today, both search engines and NoScript worked fine together. Disabling the NoScript extension restores the ability to search for a text term in both search engines from the browser. In the StartPage web partial page that initially appears when searching anything from the browser search box, ability to actually search works within that page for Images, Videos, and News options but not for the Web option, either when clicked on the page or when auto-selected by searching for text from a browser search box with NoScript active. In DuckDuckGo, only DDG's own search box appears at the top of a blank page when a search is initiated from the browser search box, but none of their options (All, Images, Videos, News, Maps, Shopping) are even present on the DDG page - the page is almost totally blank. Google and Bing search engines appear to work fine.

I've tried with the "noscript" option box both checked and unchecked in the NoScript trusted options, with no difference... both search engines are still blocked from textual searches. Other search engines like Google and BIng still work OK with NoScript active. I'm not sure what has suddenly changed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.151 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Re: NoScript blocking Startpage & DuckDuckGo

Post by barbaz »

Any difference with NoScript latest development build?
Do you have any XSS choices listed in NoScript Options > Advanced?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Yesterday (16 Feb), both Startpage and DuckDuckGo were experiencing the problem 100% of the time. A few minutes ago this morning (17 Feb), I noticed that both sites were no longer being shown as Trusted by NoScript like they had been all day yesterday, but instead had both somehow reverted to Default level. After manually setting each site back to Trusted in NoScript, both sites are now again working fine with NoScript!

Not having rebooted nor manually updated anything on my system nor even turned off the browser during all that time, I'm mystified at what has actually occurred - but in any case, things seem to working fine now. FWIW, I never got to the point you suggested of manually trying the latest development build before the problem cleared; likewise, there are/were no XSS choices listed in the Advanced options. I guess I must chalk it all up to the mysterious peculiarities of electrons being too small to see...

In any case, thank you so much for your suggestions and your time taken in responding!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.151 Safari/537.36
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Just a final word on the problem... apparently NoScript's extension auto-updated sometime early on 17 February to 11.2.3 (from 11.2.1) in my Vivaldi installation, and that seems to be the reason the problem cleared once I re-Trusted the 2 search sites. In any case, now all is well.
barbaz

Re: [RESOLVED] NoScript blocking Startpage & DuckDuckGo

Post by barbaz »

Guest, your issue is different from the OP of this thread, so I split your post and replies to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26246 so you can get proper attention.

This thread issue is specific to NoScript 11.2.1 on Vivaldi, and upgrading to 11.2.3 fixed it.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-