[FIXED] Stall/high cpu usage with youtube, high tab count, firefox

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Francois

Re: Stall/high cpu usage with youtube, high tab count, win7 firefox

Post by Francois »

Good to know I'm not the only one with the slowness issue. If it's any consolation, twitter is quite a bit worse than youtube. Half the time a new twitter link times out before filling the screen then you have to reload the tab. Disable ns, no problem at all.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
Nacho

Post by Nacho »

Hey so it was getting so bad I had to do something to fix it, if not remove it all together (which would be terrible).
I found a fix!

I went through the Github and started trying previous versions. I found one that doesn't have the stall with youtube.

Version 11.0.11 works. V11.0.12 has the issue. So something between 11.0.11 & 11.0.12 and future release is causing this issue for me.

tldr: If you having this issue try V11.0.11 on github temp fix for me now.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:82.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/82.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Nacho wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:49 am Version 11.0.11 works. V11.0.12 has the issue. So something between 11.0.11 & 11.0.12 and future release is causing this issue for me.

tldr: If you having this issue try V11.0.11 on github temp fix for me now.
(Old NoScript versions can also be obtained from
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/noscript/versions
*or*
https://noscript.net/feed?quantum&c=100
)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Unicous

Post by Unicous »

I've been having this issue for a while now and it was seemingly fixed when i updated to FF Beta 82 or at least not that noticeable. I was thinking it was caused by Firefox and some incompatibility but it seems obvious now it's actually NoScript.

I have a lot of tabs, almost 800, I'm on Windows 10 and Beta 84.0b3, and I installed the latest NoScript DevBuild, but that didn't fix it. Opening a private window fixes the hanging/lagging.

It's mostly happening with Youtube and embedded Youtube Videos, but Twitter is also affected.

Opening Youtube or having embeds in opened websites hangs the Browser for up to 30 seconds. Opening Twitter is slow, opening multiple Twitter links makes the Browser laggy for a few seconds.

Is there any fix planned cause i can't find the 11.1.3 anymore and to be honest I don't feel too comfortable going back in versions that came out moths ago.

I also found a bug that was filed at Bugzilla, it describes the problem as well.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1677393
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:84.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/84.0

Post by Guest »

Unicous wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:48 pm Opening a private window fixes the hanging/lagging.
I was surprised to read this, I remember having the problem even in private windows. So I checked it and I can confirm: Firefox 83 for Linux, freshly started in a rebooted PC, I opened a private windows (in addition of the thousands of tags in 6 not-private windows I already have), and in that windows I tried opening a not of you tube video: none of them caused any problem, at all.

Then I tried opening a youtube video in one of the not-private windows... and BAM! Firefox froze, but this time, for a very, very long time.
The problem was getting worse and worse in time, so maybe it was caused by this, I don't know. Or maybe opening all these video before cumulated something that made the next hang worse, I don't know. But at this moment the problem seems absent from private windows (I tried both after a login on You Tube and without logging in, both were the same)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:83.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/83.0
Unicous

Post by Unicous »

The dev release 11.1.6rc6 seems to have alleviated the hanging a lot, it might have been a coincidence with a new Firefox Beta Release though.
Opening Youtube now doesn't hang the whole browser anymore but there is still a noticeable lag and the site itself takes a little longer to load than in a private window.
Opening Twitter and some other websites seems to be a little worse now though.

Sadly there hasn't been much of a response regarding this issue although it has been persistent for months now.

Can anybody else using the dev release confirm my findings?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:84.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/84.0

Post by Guest »

Unicous wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:20 pm The dev release 11.1.6rc6 seems to have alleviated the hanging a lot, it might have been a coincidence with a new Firefox Beta Release though.
Opening Youtube now doesn't hang the whole browser anymore but there is still a noticeable lag and the site itself takes a little longer to load than in a private window.
Opening Twitter and some other websites seems to be a little worse now though.

Sadly there hasn't been much of a response regarding this issue although it has been persistent for months now.

Can anybody else using the dev release confirm my findings?
I am using NoScript 11.1.6 (not the rc) and the problem is still there, as soon as I opened a page with a you tube video, FF hang for minutes, and WebExtensions gobbling up more that 3GB of memory and 100% or the cpu.
Then I tried opening the same page in a private window, and it ran without problems
So I didn't see any difference, the problem is still bad as with 11.1.5

("why don't you watch yt video always in private windows?" "It's what I do when I know that a link go to a page with a yt video embedded, but these times you find yt videos embedded everywhere without any warning, and I am tired of having mu FF freze when I open a new page)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:83.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/83.0
vadimm

Post by vadimm »

Hi everyone. Registered just to report the same issue. Very high (up to 100%) CPU usage with nosrcipt on youtube page loading. Haven't noticed such issue on other websites though. Sadly oldest version available on AMO has it too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:85.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/85.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

vadimm wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:00 pm Sadly oldest version available on AMO has it too.
Older versions than that can be found through the noscript.net feed I linked above. Were you looking for a specific older version?
-
vadimm

Post by vadimm »

barbaz wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:42 pm
vadimm wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:00 pm Sadly oldest version available on AMO has it too.
Older versions than that can be found through the noscript.net feed I linked above. Were you looking for a specific older version?
Installed version 11.0.11 from github, and it has no issue as it was described above, 11.0.12 has.
Unicous

Post by Unicous »

Is that really the suggested solution to that bug? Using an almost one year old version?

I also have other websites that are seemingly affected by this bug, namely web.de.

I can mitigate that for a while by deleting the cookies but with every visit to the site the problem and stalling/hanging gets worse. It seems to work for Twitter too, but it lasts only a few times and then it gets worse again. It might be a problem with Firefox as well, the Bugzilla Thread i mentioned suggested that the Nightly version of Version 85 seemed to fix the bug, but since i'm now on Beta 85 i can't verify that claim unfortunately. Again as I said before, 11.1.6rc6 seems to have helped a bit but it's still far from being fixed, and other than reverting to an old version or private window, there seems to be nothing you can do "fix" it. After months and months of this happening it is becoming pretty frustrating. We know the cause to be most likely NoScript, but how and why is still unknown.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:85.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/85.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Unicous wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:56 pm Is that really the suggested solution to that bug? Using an almost one year old version?
IMO it is no solution. But it does provide useful information.
vadimm wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:52 pm Installed version 11.0.11 from github, and it has no issue as it was described above, 11.0.12 has.
Thanks.

Those of you who can test old versions, what is the last working rc version and what is first broken rc version?

11.0.11rc2
11.0.12rc1
11.0.12rc2
-
vadimm

Post by vadimm »

barbaz wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:46 am Those of you who can test old versions, what is the last working rc version and what is first broken rc version?
I've tested and 11.0.12rc2 is the first version that has this issue.
11.0.12rc1 doesn't load CPU for a long time like tens of seconds when youtube page loads (even when i just refresh page with video), CPU load just peaks for 3-5 sec and firefox doesn't stall.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks vadimm for testing! Naively going through those commits, I would suspect one or both of the ServiceWorker-related commits: Youtube and Twitter both use ServiceWorkers, and I'm seeing some tab enumeration in those commits.

Does this problem depend at all on the selection of "Disable restrictions for this tab" or how many tabs for which you've selected "Disable restrictions for this tab"?
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

barbaz wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:12 am Thanks vadimm for testing! Naively going through those commits, I would suspect one or both of the ServiceWorker-related commits: Youtube and Twitter both use ServiceWorkers, and I'm seeing some tab enumeration in those commits.

Does this problem depend at all on the selection of "Disable restrictions for this tab" or how many tabs for which you've selected "Disable restrictions for this tab"?
Thank you both for this insight. I'll try to check if I can go deeper from there.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:84.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/84.0