NoScript permissions erased when FF closes

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
jjr2

NoScript permissions erased when FF closes

Post by jjr2 »

I see a very old thread (starting 2011)about Firefox Sync overwriting NoScript permissions, but I'm not knowingly using Sync, or any cloud servers (shut down the Win10 mandated cloud service early on).
When Firefox closes, all my NoScript permission settings vanish. Not aware of any other devices synching with my main computer. This just started happening yesterday.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:79.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/79.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: NoScript permissions erased when FF closes

Post by therube »

Are you using CCleaner?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
jjr2

Post by jjr2 »

Yes, only manual analyze/clean. It did occur to me that CCleaner might be responsible. Don't see any settings that should remove NoScript permissions. The loss of permissions seems to occur after a FF restart (after I restored most of the permissions) without running CCleaner.
MajorPayne

Post by MajorPayne »

This is not a Ccleaner + FF issue. I see those threads on the Mozilla forums and just kinda laugh.

I have Ccleaner on one machine, no ccleaner on another. Both have the same FF + Noscript install and both started failing to save Noscript permissions after the last update. I can't tell you if it was a FF update, Noscript update or both, but I have since permanently disabled FF from updating.

I really appreciate the contributions the Noscript dev has put into this extension, I also appreciate the work Mozilla puts into FF, but updates are starting to get into the Microsoft Windows update realm, where we (the end users) are the guinea pigs - oh sorry, our update broke something, please wait until the next update. I'm just tired of wasting not minutes, but hours of my precious time trying to reverse engineer and diagnosis why this browser no longer saves my settings.

Back to Chrome!
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

MajorPayne wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:09 am This is not a Ccleaner + FF issue.
Well, maybe. Just because you never experienced a Ccleaner + FF issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
MajorPayne wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:09 am I really appreciate the contributions the Noscript dev has put into this extension, I also appreciate the work Mozilla puts into FF, but updates are starting to get into the Microsoft Windows update realm, where we (the end users) are the guinea pigs - oh sorry, our update broke something, please wait until the next update. I'm just tired of wasting not minutes, but hours of my precious time trying to reverse engineer and diagnosis why this browser no longer saves my settings.
MajorPayne, best just skip the unconstructive ranting. It only distracts from the OP's issue and obstructs whatever help you're seeking yourself if any.
MajorPayne wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:09 am Back to Chrome!
Says the person posting from Firefox.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

Post by Guest »

Same for me started maybe 1-2 weeks back. I have backed up all No Scripts settings so I just have to re-import them. But it is a royal pain. It occurs when and when I don't use CCleaner (and have used this for years without any problems ) This started with Build 79 and there is also a NoScripts recent update.
Something is way off.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:10 am It occurs when and when I don't use CCleaner (and have used this for years without any problems ) This started with Build 79
(emphasis mine)

Guest, could you please try the following?

1) With all your NoScript settings in place, Completely quit Firefox.

2) Open your Firefox profile folder. There should be files: storage-sync-v2.sqlite, storage-sync-v2.sqlite-shm, storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal

3) Open storage-sync-v2.sqlite in sqlitebrowser. Don't change anything, just open and close it. The -shm & -wal files should disappear, the data being written to storage-sync-v2.sqlite.

4) Start Firefox again and change some NoScript settings. Now what happens if you don't apply CCleaner to Firefox?

Let us know, thanks.

Also, are you using the latest CCleaner? - https://hackademix.net/2020/08/05/cclea ... rk-around/
-
OEM

Post by OEM »

This topic was a little bit older but I recently moved to Firefox 82.0.2.

I did as you wrote. Opened in SQLITE the storage-sync-v2.sqlite-shm and storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal was deleted then. But after adding one page in NoScript, the files still remain after closing FF. So I think No_Script has a problem to close the database correctly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/86.0.4240.183 Safari/537.36 Edg/86.0.622.63
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

OEM wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:25 pm So I think No_Script has a problem to close the database correctly.
It is a Firefox problem, not NoScript problem. NoScript doesn't have access to that level of Firefox internals.
-