Pivileged Pages

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
thorpie

Pivileged Pages

Post by thorpie »

Hello
I am asking about this as previous questions and answers have failed to clarify the situation, they intimate it is a "firefox" issue but do not provide any guidance whatsoever.
A google search and clicking on the headline advertisements provides a new tab at https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/.....[long string] and the page is a blank, white page. Clicking on the noscript icon give the header icons but rather than a list it states "This is a privileged page, whose permissions cannot be configured." clicking the icon "disable restrictions for this tab" results in no change to the page but removes the privileged page message in the noscript area. clicking the icon again to reset the "disable restrictions for this tab" and the message does not return.
It is my recollection that this message has always appeared on pages such as about:config, but only on very few pages which were "firefox internal pages". This on googleadservices.com is the first time I have seen it on a non-internal page.
So is it now possible for anyone to create a "privileged page" that will not load if noscript is installed? has this always been possible? Why have web designers who want to banish noscript and ad blockers never used this before now? Is it something new that the firefox team has implemented in response to commercial interest pressure? Has it not been discussed because it is determined by google fact checkers to be fake news?
Thank you for your time
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Pivileged Pages

Post by Giorgio Maone »

What most likely happened is that some kind of adblocker, either inside or outside of your browser, prevented the page from even beginning loading, and NoScript's content scripts didn't load either because there was no page to host them.
Under these circumstances, NoScript cannot "see" the page (which is not there) and suppose it's a privileged page (which produce the same effect).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:83.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/83.0
thorpie

Post by thorpie »

Giorgio
Thank you for getting back to me.
I closed the browser, & restarted, so one new tab, & turned off scripts globally. Same thing, only happens on premium ads with pictures.
I went into settings and fully turned off noscript, it now works - it opens a new tab that ends up on the ad site - aliexpress.
The google search I used is ebike battery, which gives pictures with the premium ads. Other searches such as ebike Italy do not give these pictured premium ads.
[added edit] Note that have to allow scripts for google.com to show these premium ads when noscript is enabled.
Thanks
Glenn
ps If google have figured out how to do it how long until others follow suit??
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:82.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/82.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Could you try "NoScript Options>Advanced>Clear XSS Choices"?
thorpie

Post by thorpie »

Thank you Giorgio, that worked, is there any explanation as to why?
Glenn
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

thorpie wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:23 am Thank you Giorgio, that worked, is there any explanation as to why?
Yes. My guess, which you've proved correct, is that you had previously faced a XSS prompt for a request landing on www.googleadservices.com and you selected "Never allow", so my original assumption that something blocked the load before it was started, leading to the "empty privileged" status, applied not to a 3rd party content blocker but to NoScript's own XSS filter.
thorpie

Post by thorpie »

you ripsnorter,
thank you