[FIXED] Stall/high cpu usage with youtube, high tab count, firefox

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
therube
Ambassador

Re: Stall/high cpu usage with youtube, high tab count, win7 firefox

Post by therube »

If you disable NoScript, does the issue subside?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5

Post by Guest »

therube wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:10 pm If you disable NoScript, does the issue subside?
It does. With NoScript enabled, 'about:performance' stalls or is slow to update, tab clicking is delayed for seconds, and youtube playback and window rendering stutter or are very delayed. Disabled, all interactions and rendering are very rapid. (Using the link and instructions I provided 3-4 replies back.) It isn't a matter of minutes as had happened before but it is now in the 10-20 second range which is higher than experienced in recent releases of FF/NS.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0

Post by Guest »

I can confirm the issue is deteriorating. It isn't as bad as originally, but something like 1/3 to 1/2 as long freeze. While v80 reduced the impact into useable levels it has since gone to bad enough freezing that Youtube is basically unuseable with 8000 tabs in the session. Also the time the session has been on affects the slowdown/freeze. Even in v80 it would start as slowing down for 1-2 seconds or so but after a week or two of session uptime it would be freezing for 1-2 seconds and causing slowing down for 10 seconds or so. With v81 it starts at around 20 second freezing and still goes worse as time goes on.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0
nacho

Post by nacho »

Also confirming the issue back. Was gone for a solid month. Disabling no script completely fixes the freezing/lock-ups.

Noscript 11.1.2rc1
Firefox 81.0.2 (64-bit)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0

Post by Guest »

Now with Firefox 82.0 (64-bit) and NoScript 11.1.3 it is even worse than before. 8400 tabs and just resumed session causes *90* seconds of freeze loading any Youtube page. Tons of random pages have embedded YT video in them and loading any such page causes the issue as well. With Ryzen 9 3900X that long freeze is really bad. Unless the issue gets fixed sometime soon, I really don't have any other options to just not use NoScript.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:82.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/82.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Are tabs being loaded "on demand"?
IOW, you are not loading them all on browser start up, correct?

About how many browser windows do you have?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus

Post by Guest »

therube wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:16 pm Are tabs being loaded "on demand"?
IOW, you are not loading them all on browser start up, correct?

About how many browser windows do you have?
On demand yes. So by just restored session it means that less than 10 tabs are loaded which is also shown in about:performance. 5 windows one of which has over 7000 tabs while the rest are smaller. Previously the window with 7k tabs had notably longer freeze than windows with less tabs, but with FF 82 there doesn't seem to be notable difference anymore.
M-R

Post by M-R »

I have 7 windows with 11.000 tabs that I keep from session to session (I am slowly reducing them, they were 15.000 last year, but I didn't have the problems I have now...), and a window in incognito mode that I use now for the things that made me read 11.000 tabs (a lot of them are things that I kept "because I will read them tomorrow", and then forgot, using the incognito mode window removes them if I don't read them before closing firefox)

I don't know what you mean with "on demand", but when I start up firefox the 7 windows come up rather quickly these days (years ago it took a really long time), when I change tab in one of these windows afterward sometimes (if I have visited that tab in the previous few days or even less) it's "already there" (but it's not "current", meaning that it's the copy in cache), if not Firefox has to reload it again. if there is a you tube video somewhere in the page at this point Firefox freeze, simply by going on that tab

I have noticed the worsening of the problem, so I still have not upgraded to Firefox 82, I am waiting to hear from other people if it does make firefox (or noscript) unusable again...
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

and a window in incognito mode ... using the incognito mode window removes them if I don't read them before closing firefox)
But that is expected, isn't it.
Private Windows are not expected to be restored (from Session Restore) on a FF restart (or even if closed during the same session).
on demand
Only restore tabs when I need them (or however it reads in FF).
IOW, you are not restoring 11,000 tabs when starting FF.
Only 1 tab, per window (10 windows noted above), so only 10 tabs actually load (fully).
The others will only load (fully) "on demand" - if you actually click the tab in question.

Also worth knowing, would be (Firefox, & total "firefox", not just a particular process of it's) CPU & memory usage during these times.

And I'll also note that over time, different browser versions have worked better/worse with... huge numbers of tabs... And as you can no longer expect consistence between any FF release, no telling what may or may not happen, work better/worse... And, if you were to bring up 11,000 in bugzilla, they'd simply laugh that off & say it's not realistic. ["sorry, but that's just absurd", is a direct quote I've gotten.] (I'm a tab user, but don't believe I've hit those kinds of numbers.)

Post by Guest »

therube wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:21 pm
and a window in incognito mode ... using the incognito mode window removes them if I don't read them before closing firefox)
But that is expected, isn't it.
Private Windows are not expected to be restored (from Session Restore) on a FF restart (or even if closed during the same session).
Yes, it's the reason I use it, to avoid adding to the number of tabs carried over from session to session..
on demand
Only restore tabs when I need them (or however it reads in FF).
IOW, you are not restoring 11,000 tabs when starting FF.
Only 1 tab, per window (10 windows noted above), so only 10 tabs actually load (fully).
The others will only load (fully) "on demand" - if you actually click the tab in question.
Yes, and this is the reason I STILL have 11.000 tabs: to check (or read) one and the close it, I have to load it, adding to my PC problems with Firefox and noscript. And a lot of these tabs have movie clips or other youtube content inside...
Also worth knowing, would be (Firefox, & total "firefox", not just a particular process of it's) CPU & memory usage during these times.
I have 10 firefox processes going on at any given time (1 "Main Thread", 8 "Web Content" and 1 "webextensions"). When I reboot the PC and stant firefox the CPU and memory use is low (I never did the addition of the total cpu and memory use, but for the entire PC and all the ongoing processes usually is less than 20% (3 GB) at the start, and I seldom have only Firefox going). With use the memory occupied by the main thread and webcontant increase, but in a reasonable way (at this moment, after days from the last reboot and heavy use, each webcontent is around 1GB, MainThread is 2GB). Webextension stays low even after days, it's at around 0,1 GB now.

But if I load as tab with a youtube video on it, both MainThread and Webextensions would spike by around 2 GB each, freezing firtefox for almost a minute (it was 10-15 minutes at the time the problem was worse) and at this moment such and increase would hang the PC, too (so I can't risk opening old tabs to close them, until I have finished work and can reboot). If I try to save any web page, it still freeze for 5-10 minutes, with the same memory use increase.
And I'll also note that over time, different browser versions have worked better/worse with... huge numbers of tabs... And as you can no longer expect consistence between any FF release, no telling what may or may not happen, work better/worse... And, if you were to bring up 11,000 in bugzilla, they'd simply laugh that off & say it's not realistic. ["sorry, but that's just absurd", is a direct quote I've gotten.] (I'm a tab user, but don't believe I've hit those kinds of numbers.)
It's very easy to reach that number if:
1) You follow one or more social network where people post a lot of links
2) You usually open a tab for that content "for later" instead of putting it on pocket or among the bookmarks
3) You end up not looking at it until you reboot and the you forgot about ut.

It was a behaviour facilitated by the fact that, for years, Firefox "didn't mind", it gave me no problem at all, Firefox would stay reactive no matter how many tabs I added to it, so I had the sense that all I needed to do was a sweep of useless tags "any day" and remove most of them (but I had to look at each one of them, because among them there are tabs I use regularly)

Then, one day, I don't remember the exact Firefox version, it became a problem, and an additional problem was that at that point looking at older tabs increased the problems too much to do a big sweep, so I was limited to examine and close a few tabs each time, not hundreds. And only at that time I realized how many tabs i had opened (count 20-30 tabs every day for almost 2 years, as I said I have closed lots of them in the last years, but in only a couple of years I had gotten more that 15.000 open tans, many probably repeated in multiple windows

And I started to use incognito mode for these "I want to look at them but If i don't find the time I don't want them to keep returning after every reboot" tabs.

If people on mozilla think that having so many tabs it''s absurd, they don't know how people really used Firefox when that tactic was problems-free, and how they "broke" Firefox for a lot of people when they suddenly made it a problem.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0
Nacho

Post by Nacho »

I feel like this thread is getting de-railed. This happens even if you have only 1 tab. The only factor is having Noscripted enabled or not.
M-R

Post by M-R »

It's getting worse and worse, again.

The strange things, is that it happened even without any upgrade on my PC: I didn't upgrade Firefox after reading about the new versions in this thread, and for a time I didn't upgrade noscript... but the problem still got worse and worse. I have no idea why. Maybe it's youtube that changed something? Maybe this problem is caused by some sort of file corruption on noscript, so it gets worse with time because the corruption get worse, even without upgrading the applications involved? I don't know.

So, seeing that the problem was getting worse anyway, i DID upgrade Firefox and noscript... and it was like pushing the brakes on my PC functionality. Now, if I make the error to look or open or even CLOSE a tab with any yt video on it... BAM, suddenly 4-5 GBytes of memory get lost immediately, firefox totally freeze, and the rest of the PC become sluggish and unresponsive. I can't avoid this, when I realize that I opened the "killing page of the death" by mistake and try to kill the tab before it kills firefox, it's too late. The freezing is immediate, it's the first thing, it's impossible to react quickly enough to avoid it. The mad increase of memory and cpu use then starts. I have seen my PC eat more and more memory, with the cpu at 100%, until it crashes taking was I was doing with it. Even if the PC doesn't crash because it still have enough free memory (usually, only for very little time after each reboot), after being totally useless for 5-10 minutes, it never returns exactly where it was, some memory is lost, and the next time it goes even higher... and you crash the PC the next time.

It's impossible to avoid any page with yt video embedded, these days people post them everywhere, I am reading a forum, I open a thread, and the PC freeze. I look at newspaper site, and the PC freeze. I look at my bank account, they post a video, and the PC freeze. I look at any page, somebody put a video somewhere on it, and my PC freeze. And then crashes.

It's impossible to work like this, I suppose my only option is to stop using nostript...
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:82.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/82.0

Post by Guest »

therube wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:21 pmAnd I'll also note that over time, different browser versions have worked better/worse with... huge numbers of tabs... And as you can no longer expect consistence between any FF release, no telling what may or may not happen, work better/worse... And, if you were to bring up 11,000 in bugzilla, they'd simply laugh that off & say it's not realistic. ["sorry, but that's just absurd", is a direct quote I've gotten.] (I'm a tab user, but don't believe I've hit those kinds of numbers.)
However this time the problem is not Firefox. Since Firefox works perfetly fine with this amount of tabs even with various add-ons just as long as NoScript is not enabled. And just having Firefox with no other add-ons but just NoScript causes the issue. As such it is fairly safe to assume the reason is NoScript.

It is up to the add-on devs to figure out the issue and in case if the underlying issue is a bug in Firefox add-on interface then for them to make a bug report about it to Firefox. It is unreasonable to expect Firefox to fix issue in a single add-on when other add-ons work fine.
abayo

Post by abayo »

Can confirm the issue on my end as well. Only disabling noscript resolved the stalling.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

Post by Guest »

The challenge now is that YT is the Flash of the 2020s. Every blasted website has 'helpful' videos starting on their home page. Good luck avoiding it...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:82.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/82.0