Pages fail to load without throwing an obvious error (split from t=25929)

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
defegge

Pages fail to load without throwing an obvious error (split from t=25929)

Post by defegge »

I am also seeing this issue in which pages fail to load without throwing an obvious error. I updated to the development version of NoScript 11.0.23 to no avail. I made certain that I was using the latest Firefox 75.0. No joy. [Windows 10 64-bit]

I disabled all extensions and re-enabled them in different orders. It did not matter which were enabled ... once NoScript was re-enabled, the problem returned.

As suggested, I created a new profile from scratch. Installed only NoScript 11.0.23 with default settings. Problem 'solved.'

Now I am off to perform the standard diagnostic, as suggested.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:75.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/75.0
barbaz

Re: Pages fail to load without throwing an obvious error (split from t=25929)

Post by barbaz »

defegge wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:02 pm As suggested, I created a new profile from scratch. Installed only NoScript 11.0.23 with default settings. Problem 'solved.'

Now I am off to perform the standard diagnostic, as suggested.
So to be clear...
barbaz wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:22 pm what if you then import your NoScript settings into the clean profile using the Import and Export buttons in NoScript Options?
... this step did *not* produce the problem again?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
defegge

Post by defegge »

Thanks for splitting the post out for me and thanks for the reply.

It looks like there are no per-site permissions any longer and all settings are at the default (unchecked). That might explain why the EXPORT button does nothing.

I will have to check to see if I can transfer settings from another system running the same browser version.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

defegge wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:55 am It looks like there are no per-site permissions any longer and all settings are at the default (unchecked). That might explain why the EXPORT button does nothing.
That sounds like your NoScript Options page is outright broken. Does uninstalling NoScript (Tools > Add-ons Manager > NoScript > triple dot > Remove) and reinstalling it have any effect?

I think uninstalling/reinstalling will delete all your NoScript settings. Make sure you have a backup before proceeding.
-
stolen time

Post by stolen time »

I woke up yesterday morning and I seem to have the same problem. Symptoms are:
- with the plugin disabled, everything works normally
- as soon as I enable Noscript, the only way I seem to be able to get a page to load is from my own machine using file:/// Tabs I loaded before I enabled Noscript still display, but Noscript displays the S? icon - (this therefore differs from what defgee reports). Clicking on the icon does nothing, and the manage option from the add-ons manager takes me to a page that doesn't work, so I can't save my whitelist. My guess is that there is some corruption in the configuration.

I've removed Noscript, rebooted and re-added, it but the symptoms are still the same.

I'm reluctant to nuke Firefox and re-install it because that will affect other settings and users. Interestingly, Noscript is still working for other users on my machine.

Windows 10, 1909
Firefox 75.0 64-bit
Noscript 11.0.23
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Any related messages in the Browser Console (Ctrl-Shift-J) or debugging toolbox for NoScript (about:debugging > This Firefox > NoScript > Inspect > Console)?
(if you don't know what's related, turn off CSS warnings and post everything else you see)
-
defegge

Post by defegge »

I got busy with essential work and was getting nowhere in determining what was interfering with NoScript. I did discover that the update to Firefox 75.0 had altered the behavior of another extension, Zotero Connector.

My solution was to uninstall all extensions and then Firefox. I reinstalled from the offline installer. Installed the extensions and, lo and behold, NoScript is working again.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Stay safe. Stay healthy.