Feature request: In the drop-out display, allow to view which resource it was that has been blocked

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Moini

Feature request: In the drop-out display, allow to view which resource it was that has been blocked

Post by Moini »

Hi,

today I was confused quite a lot by NoScript showing that it has blocked an IP address.

I've been looking everywhere in the web page's code and in Firefox's network analysis to find out what the IP address is trying to load. I was worried it could be some injected Javascript. NoScript doesn't appear to provide an easy way to see what exactly it has blocked.

In the end, it turned out to be an mp4 file linked by a chat user via http, that rocket.chat tried to embed, but couldn't.
The file was not visible in the chat tab I was in, and it had long left the viewport for the channel that it was in. So I couldn't see any 'blocked media' frames.

I'm asking for a feature that shows me which urls exactly NoScript is blocking, i.e. the concrete links to js and media files.
If that feature already exists, I'd like to ask for it to be more visible, because I really cannot find it :(
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:71.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Re: Feature request: In the drop-out display, allow to view which resource it was that has been blocked

Post by musonius »

You are right that it can be difficult to see what is being blocked by NoScript. Making this information more readily available would indeed be a very helpful improvement.

Personally, I use the web console of the development tools to see what is being blocked for now, unless it is easy to guess what is required for a page to work.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:72.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/72.0
barbaz

Re: Feature request: In the drop-out display, allow to view which resource it was that has been blocked

Post by barbaz »

Would it be sufficient for your case to just see a list of URLs that were blocked by an extension, without listing which extension did the blocking?

Because it's possible to use a separate extension to get that information. I don't know if such extension already exists publicly available.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Moini

Post by Moini »

musonius wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 am Personally, I use the web console of the development tools to see what is being blocked for now, unless it is easy to guess what is required for a page to work.
How do I find out what is blocked that way? My console didn't show any messages, I had looked there, too - but maybe it needs some command?
barbaz wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:15 pm Would it be sufficient for your case to just see a list of URLs that were blocked by an extension, without listing which extension did the blocking?
Hm. Not sure. I have this double-combo of Ublock origin + NoScript installed. Probably a bit redundant ...

A list of items blocked per domain/subdomain in the current dropdown would be what I'm looking for. (Edit: to be clear, that list should not be displayed in the dropdown, I'm only describing the location of the domain/subdomain list here). That would also help in those cases when I'm trying to find out which one of the 30 or so third-parties I need to allow for playing a web video, or sending a form.

I don't have an urgent need for this (so wouldn't install yet another extension/addon), but it would be very useful to have this. I assume that NoScript knows what it blocks? Or is there some problem with seeing the exact urls?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Moini wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:21 pm I assume that NoScript knows what it blocks? Or is there some problem with seeing the exact urls?
NoScript knows the exact URLs it blocks. When I talked about separate extension, I was just offering a suggestion in case it could help you achieve your goal sooner. Giorgio currently has a number of major NoScript-related things on his plate, I doubt he'd have time to deal with new feature requests anytime soon.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Moini

Post by Moini »

Ah, okay, thank you, @barbaz ! This can wait.

I had been very impressed with how quickly a previous bug report had been handled, and I agree those things that impact functionality should have precedence.