NoScript messes with Firefox downloads

Bug reports and enhancement requests
saladgoat

NoScript messes with Firefox downloads

Post by saladgoat »

For the longest time, I could go to a page and hit CTRL+S and the entire page would save. It would save an html file and a folder with all the files needed for that page.

Since updating to Firefox version 68, when I hit CTRL+S on a page, I get a little yellow dot on the download icon. This is something that has shown up a few times - it means something didn't download. But always if I click the icon I can hit the circle arrow thingy and it will complete the download. So naturally I did that and it said the download completed. But when I went to look for it, it was not there. Sometimes the folder is there with one or two files - or no files.

But here's the wacky thing: if I DON'T attempt to refresh the download and just go to my Downloads folder - the entire page is there. The whole thing. Fully downloaded. But the little yellow dot is on the download icon and there is a circle arrow thingy saying it Failed. If I click that circle arrow thingy - after seeing the files had downloaded - it will tell me the download is complete, but the files will have disappeared!

If that ain't a bug, I don't know what is.

It only happens with full page downloads. Everything else downloaded in the normal way (ie right-click, etc) is properly downloaded and the icon displays as expected.

I thought this was a Firefox bug, but after shutting down my Add-Ons one by one, it turns out it works just fine with NoScript disabled.

I've used NoScript for a few years and this hasn't happened before, so I guess something changed in a recent update. Maybe it's got something to do with not having downloaded the script stuff on the page? But in that case, it shouldn't delete the downloaded files when I click the download refresh.

So can ya please fix it? It's really annoying to see that yellow dot, as it doesn't go away if you download something else.

Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript messes with Firefox downloads

Post by Giorgio Maone »

saladgoat wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 pm I thought this was a Firefox bug
And you were right (Bug 1445211).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:71.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0
saladgoat

Post by saladgoat »

Hmm ... nope. That was posted two years ago. This just started happening recently.

And that shows the opposite results.

"Download (save page as...) with some ad-blocker fails (because some subresources are blocked) and succeeds when retried"

I'm saying Download (save page as...) succeeds, but shows a fail, and fails when retried.

(My browser is always up to date and Extensions are on auto-update.)
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

You're right.

(How's that for being ambiguous ;-).)

[saladgoat is right :-).]

The first save shows as failed, but does complete successfully.
The second save shows as success, but in fact failed.

Oh, don't hold me to it, but it looks like the created subdirectory holding the .css & whatnot is the same, but the created .htm is different.

(I put FF into offline mode, as I suppose that is needed?
Or maybe not.)

Absolute vs relative URLs, or something like that, among other diffs.

URL: http://www.gena01.com

left is 2nd attempt, that "succeeded" - right is 1st attempt, that "failed"

1. is 2nd attempt, that "succeeded", 2. is 1st attempt, that "failed"

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Is this same issue as viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25656 ?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
saladgoat

Post by saladgoat »

Thanks for confirming, therube.

I never put FF into offline mode - I don't even know what that is! lol I also don't know what you mean about absolute and relative, but if it helps the developer to fix this, that would be great!

barbaz, it looks similar, but I don't think it's the same. Could be. Again, I don't know a lot of the lingo used there, so not sure.

As for using Web Scrapbook ... FF takes up too many resources already without adding more extensions - especially an extension that does what FF already does. (Not hating on that plugin or your suggestion, I'm sure it's great for your purpose. I just would rather not, if possible. I've recently had to install an extension just to avoid Google's new redirect pages. Ugh!)