Noscript suddenly stopped working for profile

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Blubby

Noscript suddenly stopped working for profile

Post by Blubby »

I'm using Firefox 70.0 and Noscript 10.0.4 (also tried the .5 RCs). Since today Noscript doesn't work anymore. The button in the toobar doesn't react, it always shows a questionmark, if I go into the settings via. the extension page, the UI looks incomplete, certain pages of it don't work at all (doesn't load the urls), export, reset doesn't work. Also it blocks all scripts from all sites, regardless of the settings. I recently updated Noscript from ~6 months old version. I tried reinstalling of course, doesn't change anything.

However if I use another user profile (so start as admin for example) and install noscript there, everythign works fine. Which probably means something in my settings is fucked up which noscript doesn't like.

Any way to fix it? My profile is 5 years old with lots of setting changes, so I don't want to create an entirely blank new one.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Noscript suddenly stopped working for profile

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Could you open your development panel (ctrl+shift+K) and see if any error message pops up in the console tab?
Does disabling other extensions (especially content blockers) help?
-- G
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
Blubby

Post by Blubby »

I assume you mean from any random page I load? It shows this:

Code: Select all

[NoScript] undefined DOMException: "A network error occurred." A network error occurred. suspend@moz-extension://62b03e41-337d-436c-a8cf-188f09a7a022/lib/SyncMessage.js:206:15
browser.runtime.sendSyncMessage@moz-extension://62b03e41-337d-436c-a8cf-188f09a7a022/lib/SyncMessage.js:215:11
fetchPolicy@moz-extension://62b03e41-337d-436c-a8cf-188f09a7a022/content/staticNS.js:54:36
@moz-extension://62b03e41-337d-436c-a8cf-188f09a7a022/content/content.js:103:4
log.js:15:13
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at inline (“script-src”). index.php:7:1
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at [...url...]/public/js/3rd_party/prototype.js (“script-src”).
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at [...url...]/public/js/ipb.js?load=quickpm,hooks,board (“script-src”).
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at [...url...]/public/js/3rd_party/scriptaculous/scriptaculous-cache.js (“script-src”).
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at [...url...]/cache/lang_cache/1/ipb.lang.js (“script-src”).
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at inline (“script-src”). index.php:100:1
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at inline (“script-src”). index.php:107:1
[... and so on ... ]
Disabling other extensions doesn't change anything, but I'm not really using any other except a theme/font changer anyway.
twobarkingdogs

Post by twobarkingdogs »

My ctrl shift k looks very similar to what is posted.

Running foxfire 66.0.3 I am finding the noscript is freezing up. My tool bar has the icon but with what looks like a question mark overlayed. When I click on it no list of active/ blocked scripts appear and it appears like I have disabled all restrictions. Clicking on any of the buttons, remove temp, temp, disable tab, disable global does nothing. I either have to fully close firefox or disable and then reenable the addon to get it to free up. This has started within the last couple of days

system is i5-3470 8gb Linux Mint 18.1

Thanks
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

And this happens also with 11.0.5rc2?
Could you please try temporarily disabling any other content blocker and see whether the problem disappear?

[Side note]
What's "foxfire 66"? Is an old (obsolete) version of Firefox? Could you please update?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hi, after automatic installation of v11.0.4 in Firefox 70.0 on macOS 10.14.6 (18G1012) shows same behaviour as already described.
For Tor Browser 9.0 NoScript 11.0.4 still works fine.
Installation of v11.0.5rc2 in Firefox 70.0 temporarily solves the issue and NoScript works again until restart of Firefox. Then even v11.0.5rc2 stops working.
Re-installing (v11.0.5rc2) makes it work again...

Regards,
Joe
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
Vincent12

Post by Vincent12 »

NoScript doesn't show any sub-menu any longer on web page's scripting information to grant certain scripts. So it blocks all scripting, and I can't see anything to choose from to grant permission.
Sometimes the NoScript-icon displaying a quotation mark only.

Mostly it shows now an "S"-symbol with a number of all currently exisiting scripts from the web pages being blocked, but when clicking on "S" it says, that the TAB needed to be reloaded for NoScript to work properly. Reloading TAB/weg page or via noScript doesn't help, still that message.
This behiour increased on more and more web pages the last month.
Also NoScript began to work slower to list all scriptings of a visited web page, until now on all sites nothing displayed, trouble on all URLs visiting regulary.

Using Vivaldi 2.9.1705.31 (64 Bit), on Win 8.1 x64. NoScript 11.0.5
Same issue with NoScript since ca. three older Vivaldi versions since ca. 30 days.
Removing addon "UBlock origin" (Raymond Gorhill) and ""UBlock origin extra"(Raymond Gorhill) "didn't help.
DIsabling/Re-enabling addons didn't help.
Removing NoScript, uninstalling and reinstalling Vivaldi and NoScript didn't help, too.

I just can still reset NoScript and get into the settings dialog and change any settings. But also resetting NoScript listdoesn't solve the issue.
Ealier it helped a bit, but not 100% always, now not all.

---
My Father using WIndows 10 Ver. 1903 64 Bit instead , also Vivaldi 2.9.1705.31 (64 Bit), and NoScript 11.05 either.
He does NOT have that issue like I have with NoScript.

Is my Computer infected?
I'm not using any Malware scanners, and only visiting my own trusted web sites, not required to grant many scripts etc.,always with noScript on, and I'minstalling WIndows-Updates and browser and email messanger regulary, and I don't download files nor execute them from unknown sources, nor opening email attachments except pdf attachment rarely from a seller right where I had placed an order, I got right at the moment.

Will I have to need to remove my local WIndows account and recreate it, or even need to reinstall Windows to try to solve the NoScript issue?
WIndows working fast and only 17-19 GByte storage used from C-Partition, CPU usage low, many programs are installed on a second partition (D:) (for Apps).

---
(OK I know how to do recreate my local Windows user account properly)

by enabling a "Admin-account" in ->Computer-Management" ->"local users and groups" ->"Administrator" -> Right klick "activate"/"enable" or s.th. like this (this probably needs admin rights/admin password)

Due to Win8.1 or WIn10 new boot manager can't press F8 to boot safe mode:
E.g. to solve that issue.in a "cmd" as admin:
bcdedit /set ID bootmenupolicy legay
or
bcdedit /set current bootmenupolicy legagy
( there's a space between current and bootmenupolicy(!)

then logging off, restarting WIndows. When Windows starts starting press F8, choose "safe mode", OK

logging in, still into my own local account again
Still in own user account (maybe must be an admin account/changed to that or admin password needed),
(Run command Win+R , type in msconfig, in "msconfig" disabling all services checkboxes, running for e.g. own local account which would prevent deleting all User account's files and directories), even if were not logged in.

then logging off, restarting WIndows,
login to activated named "Administrator" local account (Windows safe mode propbaly NOT needed now)

Then ->Control Panel, ->User accounts, ->manage other user account, ->Delete own user account (with Removing all user files)
Check that in C:\Users the old own's account name folder is deleted.

Reboot WIndows.
Again Login to activated Admin account
->Control Panel, ->User accounts, ->manage other user account, ->Create new Account (Admin account or local restricted accoutn without admin) with same account name as before (e.g.)

This procedure should work fine, tested working:
Check when e.g. with same account name recreated, so that there's not a double/similar account name folder with incomplete directory is lised, so that new user account with e.g. same name has all it's standard directories/links included, and not scattered over a 2nd similar reappearing folder in C:\Users
This was tested to work properly to recreate new account even with same name as before,
When the procedure with msconfig trick etc. done properly, this should work fine and the issue with a double/similar reappering user-directory in (C:\Users\Username2) and that scattered user accountfiles should not be happening, (tested working properly then.), after logging in to recreated account (with e.g. same name)

Maybe there are still some unwanted side effects by recreating new local user account with same name,that I don't know of, not tested yet.
And I don't want to reinstall WIndows.
So I'd like to avoid reinstalling my user account if possible, and WIndows if possible, because I'd need to set user settings again inother programs, too etc.
-----

Before pressing Submit this report, to try to allow all scripts, that I can send this report, the issue suddenly appears resolved, häh? ;) , :o - LOL
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.72 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/2.9.1705.31
Vincent12

Post by Vincent12 »

Sry for 2nd post, (cannot find an edit-button):

NoScript, just (appeared) to work, but only temporarily for a moment (on all currently 5 open tabs). But now after 1/2 minute it has stopped working again.

I have too add, when noscript had seemed to tork more earlier
it showed a question mark, or an exlamation mark sometimes on some pages (as if noscript was set to allow all scripts generellay, (but it wasn't) (often blocking them all)

At last period it appears more often, now only an "S" with a number web pages scripts, but not which are listed.

Earlier it showed what all those are, and a could click see one, to click on it to "Trust", which switched choosen scripting sitedisplayed as "Trusting", but it didn't result in really unblocking that:
Noticable on (on another forum's web page e.g. where I had clicked to trust(one) necessary script-link, that all text-editor-post-features available.
But recently allowing the necessary script didn't unblock those features (just showing as (trusting).

Now there' not any scripting displayed, always/most often as an "S" and only the number of blocked scripts, nothing more.

I have exact same issue as Blubby has, but on Vivaldi browser (64bit), too, here on Windows 8.1 x64, too like him with MacOS

2nd thing.

Also in the recent months I had issues, when allowing a script from a visiting page, e.g. google.com , sometimes google.com disappeared completely from the noscript-list, and only resetting NoScript, NOT by revisiting the web page, only by resetting NoScript, made e.g. "google.com" to reappear in the list
(and I don't know of any option in NoScript, that would do remove a line of e.g. visited page" without resetting whole noscript list.)

---
Here's Output from NoScript-debug checkbox:
---

{
"DEFAULT": {
"capabilities": [
"frame",
"fetch",
"other"
],
"temp": false
},
"TRUSTED": {
"capabilities": [
"script",
"object",
"media",
"frame",
"font",
"webgl",
"fetch",
"other"
],
},
"UNTRUSTED": {
"capabilities": [],
},
"sites": {
"trusted": [
"§:addons.mozilla.org",
"§:afx.ms",
"§:ajax.aspnetcdn.com",
"§:ajax.googleapis.com",
"§:bootstrapcdn.com",
"§:code.jquery.com",
"§:firstdata.com",
"§:firstdata.lv",
"§:gfx.ms",
"§:google.com",
"§:googlevideo.com",
"§:gstatic.com",
"§:hotmail.com",
"§:live.com",
"§:live.net",
"§:maps.googleapis.com",
"§:mozilla.net",
"§:netflix.com",
"§:nflxext.com",
"§:nflximg.com",
"§:nflxvideo.net",
"§:noscript.net",
"§:outlook.com",
"§:passport.com",
"§:passport.net",
"§:passportimages.com",
"§:paypal.com",
"§:paypalobjects.com",
"§:securecode.com",
"§:securesuite.net",
"§:sfx.ms",
"§:tinymce.cachefly.net",
"§:wlxrs.com",
"§:yahoo.com",
"§:yahooapis.com",
"§:yimg.com",
"§:youtube.com",
"§:ytimg.com"
],
"untrusted": [],
"custom": {},
"temp": []
},
"enforced": true,
"autoAllowTop": false
}
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.72 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/2.9.1705.31
Blubby

Post by Blubby »

I did some try & error testing. I had to delete those 3 lines from my pref.js to get noscript working again:

Code: Select all

user_pref("extensions.incognito.migrated", true);
user_pref("extensions.webextensions.ExtensionStorageIDB.migrated.doh-rollout@mozilla.org", true);
user_pref("extensions.webextensions.ExtensionStorageIDB.migrated.{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}", true);
No clue what those settings mean actually (and no time right now to look into it).
cbelov

Post by cbelov »

I too am having this issue.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Firefox 70.0.1
NoScript 11.0.6

Firefox developer console shows:
DOMException: "A network error occurred." SyncMessage.js:218:23
suspend moz-extension://a424423d-0968-4645-85e3-755815c2e91c/lib/SyncMessage.js:218
domSuspender moz-extension://a424423d-0968-4645-85e3-755815c2e91c/lib/SyncMessage.js:224

I also tried deleting extensions.incognito.migrated as well as setting it to false and Firefox sets it back to true. Same with extensions.webextensions.ExtensionStorageIDB.migrated.doh-rollout@mozilla.org

I don't see extensions.webextensions.ExtensionStorageIDB.migrated.{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.14; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
cbelov

Post by cbelov »

I actually have two Firefox profiles, my normal surfing profile and a second one for specific tasks. I just discovered that NoScript was working in the specific-task one. So I edited prefs.js in the non-working one to copy specifically the NoScript prefs from the working one, and removed the prefs in the non-working one. Now NoScript works in both profiles.

I'm happy to post the diffs but want to make sure before I do so that there are no security concerns about revealing my info. Can you advise?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.14; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0

Post by Guest »

Same for me (Firefox 70, Noscript 11.0.4). The problem is connected with the setting of dom.indexedDB.enabled. If this is false, noscript is not working any more. If this is true, noscript is working flawlessly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(I really, really, fail to see how people use such drek.)

dom.indexedDB.enabled. If this is false, noscript is not working any more.
Confirmed.
Appears that a browser restart is required after toggling that Pref (to see the effects, or lack thereof).

Win7, FF 72.0a1, NoScript 11.0.7rc1.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

dom.indexedDB.enabled. If this is false, noscript is not working any more.
Appears that extensions, in general, are broken - not just NoScript.

Bug 1335919 Toggling dom.indexeddb.enabled to false breaks IndexedDB for WebExtensions

P5, baby :-).
"We basically never want this. If somebody implements it and asks for review, we might look at it. If a posted patch involves any significant complexity, it will likely be rejected."
(Translated. We put out drek, we know. It was never intended to work. That it did, thank the heavens. You want it fixed? Do it yourself.)

(Closed. Bug 1593508 Add-ons broken in v70 and 70.0.1.)

So maybe 1335919 doesn't need to be fixed, particularly, Bug 1488583 Remove unsupported, misleading "dom.indexedDB.enabled" preference.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
cbelov

Post by cbelov »

Re: "dom.indexedDB.enabled. If this is false, noscript is not working any more."

Perhaps that is sufficient to fix (setting dom.indexedDB.enabled to true), but it is not necessary. I have it set to false, and NoScript is working for me after copying the settings as I described above.

So perhaps there is a conflict between a particular NoScript preference and the dom.indexedDB.enabled preference. At least that would be my guess.