Firefox zero-day exploit (CVE-2019-11707 and CVE-2019-11708)

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
barbaz

Re: Firefox zero-day exploit (CVE-2019-11707 and CVE-2019-11708)

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:17 pm one of WF's main purported advantages, is that it doesn't send all that much back to the mothership. I had asked at the WF support forum quite a while ago, what about disabling everything telemetry in FF, and if that would bring the 2 more in line with each other regarding privacy. Never got a reply there, but wonder what you think?
This is actually one of the main reasons I use Waterfox. Disabling that stuff in Firefox settings is not as thourough as what Waterfox does, and wouldn't be sufficient for me.

Also, disabling stuff in Firefox doesn't solve the problem of Firefox adding more crap in new releases, that you then have to disable yourself after upgrading.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
kukla

Re: Firefox zero-day exploit (CVE-2019-11707 and CVE-2019-11708)

Post by kukla »

This is actually one of the main reasons I use Waterfox. Disabling that stuff in Firefox settings is not as thourough as what Waterfox does, and wouldn't be sufficient for me.

Also, disabling stuff in Firefox doesn't solve the problem of Firefox adding more crap in new releases, that you then have to disable yourself after upgrading.

Suppose that's a good reason to stick with WF and keep FF as a go-to when things get dicey with security as they often do with WF. Will continue to use WF as long as the 52.6 keeps getting security patches. As for FF adding crap in new releases, I'm just sticking with the 68 ESR until EOL in another year. Have done a fair amount of tweaking using CSS (surprisingly, the 68 didn't need as much revision as anticipated from what I've been using in the 60) and don't want to have to reinvent the wheel on each new release.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:60.6) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.6