Firefox deactivates NoScript...and calls it Legacy

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
barbaz

Re: Firefox deactivates NoScript...and calls it Legacy

Post by barbaz »

For users of Firefox 52-56, Mozilla has published an add-on that should fix this issue - https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... fix-52-56/

They are also going to do one for Firefox 61-65.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

barbaz wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 pm They are also going to do one for Firefox 61-65.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... fix-61-65/
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

For those who are interested in more details of what the various fixes do - https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/05/techn ... on-outage/
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Just to note, that extensions are [now] (three separate) "fixes" up on AMO for this for FF versions 47-65.
47-56
57-60
&
61-65
Links can be found here, https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/armagadd-on_2_0.html.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:47 pm Just to note, that extensions are [now] (three separate) "fixes" up on AMO for this for FF versions 47-65.
47-56
57-60
&
61-65
Links can be found here, https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/armagadd-on_2_0.html.
Thanks, already noted ;) see the posts above yours (and my last post on the previous page)
-
redriver97

Post by redriver97 »

From - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25557
barbaz wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:33 pm
redriver97 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:30 pm I should clarify that i had to install via the about:config > xpinstall.signatures.required to false
NoScript Classic is not signed. This setting is required.
I'm a noob,so how did this work before? I mean before the add-ons got broken, my xpinstall.signatures.required was always set to 'true' and NoScript 5.1.9 was working.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Probably you were using an outdated NoScript version, from before Mozilla stopped signing legacy extensions.
-
redriver97

Post by redriver97 »

barbaz wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:55 pm Probably you were using an outdated NoScript version, from before Mozilla stopped signing legacy extensions.
Ah, damn.Right, so what choice/choices do i have? I mean ,from what i've read the option to keep xpinstall.signatures.required to false is not recommended right, due to security issues?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

redriver97 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:02 pm from what i've read the option to keep xpinstall.signatures.required to false is not recommended right, due to security issues?
No, you're not opening yourself up to security issues.

The original rationale for requiring signing was something about reducing "greyware/crapware". But if you're careful what you install - as you should be anyway - then you won't have crapware addons anyway, and thus you don't need the required signing.

EDIT I should be clear that "careful what you install" not only applies to Firefox addons, but also system programs. Some installers try to side-load various "optional offers" (read: bundled crapware) that you have to explicitly opt out of. In theory such side-loaded crapware could include Firefox extensions.
-
redriver97

Post by redriver97 »

barbaz wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:24 pm
redriver97 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:02 pm from what i've read the option to keep xpinstall.signatures.required to false is not recommended right, due to security issues?
No, you're not opening yourself up to security issues.

The original rationale for requiring signing was something about reducing "greyware/crapware". But if you're careful what you install - as you should be anyway - then you won't have crapware addons anyway, and thus you don't need the required signing.

EDIT I should be clear that "careful what you install" not only applies to Firefox addons, but also system programs. Some installers try to side-load various "optional offers" (read: bundled crapware) that you have to explicitly opt out of. In theory such side-loaded crapware could include Firefox extensions.
Thanks for the feedback.

Well,i have only ever used 5 add-ons for years - for IDM,JDownloader,NoScript,UBlock Origin and Zenmate,all legit and used by millions i'm sure.I don't need any more stuff.The less,the better is my mantra.The same goes for any apps,i use basic stuff - an anti-virus (Avira), IDM/utorrent/jDownloader for downloads, VLC for multimedia...basic apps. ;)

I guess i was worried about security issues,mostly malicious stuff being downloaded in background without my knowledge if i used the 'false' value, but i might go with the 'false' value now that you've clarified the issue.