[UNRELATED] inquiry about the alternate use of flashgot.exe

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
lala2000

[UNRELATED] inquiry about the alternate use of flashgot.exe

Post by lala2000 »

where I can download flashgot.exe?
Last edited by GµårÐïåñ on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: determined to be a licensing and right of alternate usage matter to be determined by Giorgio
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.151 Safari/535.19
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: flashgot.exe

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You don't. That is a small compiled web server that comes with the FlashGot extension allowing it to handle headers and cookies and etc for downloading purposes. It is not a stand alone and no need to download it. It is packed and comes with the FlashGot addon.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.140 Safari/535.19 Comodo_Dragon/18.0.3.0
lala2000

Post by lala2000 »

Actually I need to call or inset FlashGot within other program like java. Is it possible?

GµårÐïåñ wrote:You don't. That is a small compiled web server that comes with the FlashGot extension allowing it to handle headers and cookies and etc for downloading purposes. It is not a stand alone and no need to download it. It is packed and comes with the FlashGot addon.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.151 Safari/535.19
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Not in the sense you are thinking, you should really discuss this with Giorgio as others have done rip offs of FG and its a violation of the terms of its copyright and acceptable use policy, you need his permission to do anything with any part of it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.140 Safari/535.19 Comodo_Dragon/18.0.3.0
lala2000

Post by lala2000 »

I already send him and email but didn't get any reply?
BTW as I know flashgot is an open source program.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.151 Safari/535.19
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Read the licensing, open source is not equal to its up for grabs and taking and doing whatever you want with it and calling it your own or making something new without permission, unless its released with that freedom expressed. This code is not.

Sothink tried, they failed, others have tried and failed, so just wait for a reply or PM him and ask him again to review your specific request. In the meantime, its part of the public release only and not independently usable for any other purpose. Using it in any manner not expressly released under is a violation of the inherent copyright of the original work and amounts to theft of intellectual property.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
lala2000

Post by lala2000 »

Thanks for the information. And I don't change it and all it my own! I will discuss with him before doing anything.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You are welcome. Good luck.

I will mark this matter unrelated as it is a personal discussion regarding the re-purposing of an application that should be discussed privately unless Giorgio feels any portion of the discussion should be made public, at which time he can just amend this thread.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
MarkBrown11

Re: [UNRELATED] inquiry about the alternate use of flashgot.

Post by MarkBrown11 »

Is it work as flash player?
differences between two software.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.52 Safari/536.5
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

MarkBrown11 wrote:Is it work as flash player?
differences between two software.
No FlashGot is not a Flash player, the term Flash in this context is used as meaning quick/fast, not same as the adobe/macromedia software. Its a detection and downloader tool, period.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Read the licensing, open source is not equal to its up for grabs and taking and doing whatever you want with it and calling it your own or making something new without permission, unless its released with that freedom expressed. This code is not.

Sothink tried, they failed, others have tried and failed, so just wait for a reply or PM him and ask him again to review your specific request. In the meantime, its part of the public release only and not independently usable for any other purpose. Using it in any manner not expressly released under is a violation of the inherent copyright of the original work and amounts to theft of intellectual property.
But flashgot.net says that FlashGot is Free Software, with a link to the GNU GPL. NoScript likewise. And the GPL says that you can do pretty much whatever you want with it, and you have permission to make something new from it, redistribute your new work, even sell copies of it (or copies of the original!). You just have to give the original author proper credit, and put your own work under the GPL too. Sothink did neither, which is why they were in the wrong.

I'm really hoping that the GPL does apply, otherwise my own add-on plans get more complicated.

Trademarks are a separate issue, so you wouldn't be able to call your own product FlashGot or NoScript. But I'm pretty sure that as far as copyright is concerned, you're free to use and repurpose as much of the originals as you want to.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.32) Gecko/20120529 Firefox/3.6.32 (Palemoon/3.6.32)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Thrawn wrote:
GµårÐïåñ wrote:Read the licensing, open source is not equal to its up for grabs and taking and doing whatever you want with it and calling it your own or making something new without permission, unless its released with that freedom expressed. This code is not.

But flashgot.net says that FlashGot is Free Software, with a link to the GNU GPL. NoScript likewise. And the GPL says that you can do pretty much whatever you want with it, and you have permission to make something new from it, redistribute your new work, even sell copies of it (or copies of the original!). You just have to give the original author proper credit, and put your own work under the GPL too. Sothink did neither, which is why they were in the wrong.

I'm really hoping that the GPL does apply, otherwise my own add-on plans get more complicated.
You're both correct. Sothink failed because they violated the GPL, by not releasing their derivative work under the same terms.
Intelletual rights are preserved as well, as I'm the owner of those rights and I'm exercising them in freely releasing that particular piece of work which is marked as "GPLed" under the GPL terms, which in a nutshell allow everybody to do everything they want with the code, provided that they re-release their derivative work (if any) under the very same terms. So both Thrawn and lala are free to reuse and modify the code labeled as GPL, provided that their derivative work is released under the GPL as well (which also means I or anybody else can take back their modifications, if they're deemed valuable, and include them in the original product or in other GPLed ones, which is the main benefit of the GPL for the copyright owner).
Thrawn wrote: Trademarks are a separate issue, so you wouldn't be able to call your own product FlashGot or NoScript. But I'm pretty sure that as far as copyright is concerned, you're free to use and repurpose as much of the originals as you want to.
Correct. And since I understand Thrawn is taking the burden of writing an ABE rules visual editor (something I should have done myself long ago, if I had the time), and would like to use the ABE name and icon, I assume in a slightly modified form, to designate his work, I hereby publicly grant Thrawn a perpetual but revocable (I could end not to like the final product or some of its future versions) and non-transferable license on both the ABE icon and name usage in his ABE editor product provided that they're displayed with proper modifications which make clear the purpose and difference from the original work, e.g.
  • ABE Visual Editor
  • ABE icon with a little pen overlaid on its bottom right.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

@Giorgio: Thanks very much! I hope to have something ready for people to try out by the end of July. And if you do end up deciding that it's valuable enough to integrate back into NoScript, I'd be honored.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.32) Gecko/20120529 Firefox/3.6.32 (Palemoon/3.6.32)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Thrawn wrote:@Giorgio: Thanks very much! I hope to have something ready for people to try out by the end of July. And if you do end up deciding that it's valuable enough to integrate back into NoScript, I'd be honored.
Let me know if you need or want help with that. I started working on a project that would be entirely granted over to Giorgio but it was going to be ported offline first and then ported to JS and so on, and I got sick and never got to finish the project. So if you could use another person, let me know and I will be happy to help and I will also be able to test it for you as well. Hopefully Giorgio will still grant me the original blessing to help him with the crossing over of and blending of the two projects to whatever extent is deemed valuable. Just putting it out there.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0