Download Managers?

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
sumflow

Download Managers?

Post by sumflow »

Why do we need a separate downloader?

The main thing I need is for Flashgot to not replace previous Pics with new Pics having the same name. Like 1.jpg or 2.jpg. Whenever I try adding a download manager my Mac will no longer copy dmg files. Why do we need download managers?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032608 Firefox/3.0.8
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Download Managers?

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You need a downloader because how else you going to download the item? I am not trying to be mean here but the question is pretty self explanatory.

FlashGot processes the links, harvests them so you can do it all in one shot, not a downloader itself. You can use the built-in download of Fx or it supports just about all of them, including DownThemAll, Orbit, IDM and so on.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009040821 Firefox/3.0.9
rosetaylor01

Post by rosetaylor01 »

Does anyone know of any good and useful download manager. I tried download accelerator but it is full of spywares and adwares. Where can I find a good and free one that won't kill my computer?
" Every successful man in this world has failed as many times as you have, so you are not far from victory."
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

sumflow wrote:Why do we need a separate downloader?
(emphasis added by me.)
GµårÐïåñ wrote:You need a downloader because how else you going to download the item?...
The OP did not ask why we need a downloader, but why we need a *separate* downloader. Yes, Firefox is perfectly capable of downloading things. I use it to do just that all the time. So in all fairness, the OP's question was *not* self-evident. (It isn't to me, either.) So if you wish to explain what are the advantages of a separate download tool, that would be very nice and would answer what the OP asked. (I'm kind of curious myself). I don't see the need for sarcasm, which will eventually discourage people from posting here. Please bear in mind that 99.99% of users do not have your level of professional knowledge, education, skill, and experience in the programming field. Nothing is self-evident to a new user or to someone not educated in that particular issue.

Regards and respect as always, Bro.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(Old thread, bumped by rose's post that is not really relevant to it.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090717 SeaMonkey/2.0b1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Actually the implication was clear that they felt Flashgot itself was a download manager and why was a separate download manager needed to achieve what they were trying to do. Read it again my friend, at the very least the question wasn't presented properly and since they didn't come back, my guess is that it wasn't a serious complaint to begin with.
rosetaylor01 wrote:Does anyone know of any good and useful download manager. I tried download accelerator but it is full of spywares and adwares. Where can I find a good and free one that won't kill my computer?
therube has suggested Orbit Downloader and it seems to work quite well for most people. Give that a try.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

I thought so too. What IS it???
Flashgot is most useful when you want to parse a large number of items based on some form of logic (similar names, sequential, etc) and have it sent all to the downloader (built-in or otherwise) to have it downloaded, so you don't have to pick each one at a time. simply put.
Which I still don't understand either, since Fx has been downloading things for me -- some of them 90+ MB -- very nicely ever since I've had it.
For large number of downloads, sometimes the download manager is more efficient in threading it and even pause and resume if the server supports it, just makes it cleaner and easier, not something that is necessary, just optionally more useful to some
I was unaware of a "proper" format to follow when asking questions. I would consider it more important to answer the question than to nit-pick the format of it.
What I meant was that I got it to mean that, but if you took it as meaning something else, it might just be the question wasn't asked in a clear manner to make their intent known, so yeah there is a proper way to ask questions, so it can be answered properly, I don't care how they ask it, as long as it makes sense enough so someone can answer it. I would say if the supporters cannot reach a consensus as to what the question meant, then that means it was vague or improperly asked.

As for me, I use the built-in downloader for most things, DownThemAll for more "batch" stuff, multiple links and so on but otherwise, no need for a super duper downloader but I do use Flashgot for certain things that makes it easier for me but nothing too super fancy. That's why I leave most support in this department to therube or Giorgio, because I feel that in certain aspects, I don't know enough to be useful, so I might as well keep my mouth shut and just learn by observing. To the limited extent I use it, then I can offer assistance.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

In the beginning download managers were written for IE. They worked with IE, they interacted with IE.
If you used Mozilla & clicked a link, your choice was to use the built-in "downloader". If you wanted to use an actual download manager, you would have to drag the link to the download manager window (if it allowed such operations), or copy the link & paste it into the download manager. Then if a referrer was required, or cookies, or ... you would have to manually work all that stuff out. IE was not a problem, cause the download managers were written for IE so all these types of operations were inbuilt, automatic.

FlashGot (in the simplest sense) is nothing more then an intermediary between a Mozilla browser & a download manager.

In more recent days, some download managers may have "plugins" or whatnot for Mozilla browsers, but even for those, FlashGot can offer enhancements over their native plugin.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090717 SeaMonkey/2.0b1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I thought so too. What IS it???
Flashgot is most useful when you want to parse a large number of items based on some form of logic (similar names, sequential, etc) and have it sent all to the downloader (built-in or otherwise) to have it downloaded, so you don't have to pick each one at a time. simply put.
Which I still don't understand either, since Fx has been downloading things for me -- some of them 90+ MB -- very nicely ever since I've had it.
For large number of downloads, sometimes the download manager is more efficient in threading it and even pause and resume if the server supports it, just makes it cleaner and easier, not something that is necessary, just optionally more useful to some
I was unaware of a "proper" format to follow when asking questions. I would consider it more important to answer the question than to nit-pick the format of it.
What I meant was that I got it to mean that, but if you took it as meaning something else, it might just be the question wasn't asked in a clear manner to make their intent known, so yeah there is a proper way to ask questions, so it can be answered properly, I don't care how they ask it, as long as it makes sense enough so someone can answer it. I would say if the supporters cannot reach a consensus as to what the question meant, then that means it was vague or improperly asked.

As for me, I use the built-in downloader for most things, DownThemAll for more "batch" stuff, multiple links and so on but otherwise, no need for a super duper downloader but I do use Flashgot for certain things that makes it easier for me but nothing too super fancy. That's why I leave most support in this department to therube or Giorgio, because I feel that in certain aspects, I don't know enough to be useful, so I might as well keep my mouth shut and just learn by observing. To the limited extent I use it, then I can offer assistance.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Sorry to be so late getting back. Thanks for the replies.
Pretty much got the idea that some people d/l multiple items at one time quite often, which I don't. I can imagine if you're d/l 100 pics or something at once, a tool would be helpful. Thanks.

btw, it seems like Guard's post above was duped under my name, two more posts above. Any idea how that happened? It makes it look like I'm answering my own questions :D
Cheers.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
sumflow

Post by sumflow »

Aloha,
Thanks folks. I am pretty new at this I have only been on the Internet daily since about 1994. I trade seasonal commodities spreads and use the web to make charts. I remember switching to Windows 95 when it first came out, so it had to be before that..
OK about my question.
sumflow wrote:Why do we need a separate downloader?

Did anybody answer this one?

When most people step on the gas they do not need to know if the throttle connects to the carburetors with direct linkage like a GTO, or a pressurized hydraulic line like a BMW. All they want to know is that when they step on the pedal the car moves out. I never even knew what a downloader was until it stopped working correctly.
The main thing I need is for Flashgot to not replace previous Pics with new Pics having the same name. Like 1.jpg or 2.jpg.

Allot of sites number there pictures the same. I was worried that the second picture named 1.jpg will overwrite my first picture named 1.jpg. The current version of Flashgot seems to pick this up and rename the second copy very nicely so I don’t lose my stuff.
Whenever I try adding a download manager my Mac will no longer copy dmg files.

Firefox offers so many enhancements that I go through the list sometimes and add a dozen or so. Gradually I try them out and delete what appears to be of little use or redundant. Like I tried all of the pdf downloads, only to now use Snow leopards Preview program for opening, cropping, combining, and drawing on documents that have been printed to disc as pdfs.
Why do we need download managers?

Somewhere along the line I have added these download managers and lost the ability to copy dmg files. I had to open another identity in my Mac, just to download any programs. It was not until I got rid of all of the download managers that I got from Firefox before I could copy a simple dmg program again.
Tom T. wrote:Some people d/l multiple items at one time quite often, which I don't. I can imagine if you're d/l 100 Pics or something at once, a tool would be helpful.

I think I use Flashgot quite normally. When searching the web, lets say for example for thousands of photos you are going to use instead of LP covers on some chicks ipod.

You might find a page with many shots. You can Flashgot them all at once and deal with them using Graphic converter much quicker. We can see them better at full screen than we could ever hope to do with a bunch of tiny Pics on a web page. Same thing with a page of video previews. Just Flashgot them in and view them in Macs 64-bit Finder.
GµårÐïåñ wrote:Flashgot is most useful when you want to parse a large number of items .. so you don't have to pick each one at a time.

Sometimes the download manager is .. not something that is necessary.

Not necessary?
therube wrote:Flashgot .. is nothing more then an intermediary between a Mozilla browser & a download manager.

Why isn't a manager built in that does have what Flashgot needs?

Why would we need anything else?

I guess some people cannot handle more than one question at a time.
I would say .. no need for a super duper downloader

I thought Flashgot was a superduper downloader. I use it all the time. When you use the best you can leave the rest!!

I Google up pages of shots and view each in its own tab. Close the tabs that I will not use, then use Flashgot to Flashgot all of the tabs at once. Very handy. So I asked why do we need download managers, and why do they have to be separate from Flashgot?
GµårÐïåñ wrote:Actually the implication was clear that they felt Flashgot itself was a download manager and why was a separate download manager needed to achieve what they were trying to do.

Yes exactly!!
since they didn't come back, my guess is that it wasn't a serious complaint to begin with.

Not a complaint lets say an inquiry.

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
Orbit Downloader and it seems to work quite well for most people. Give that a try.

Now that Flashgot is working correctly (all downloader’s that I can find have been removed), what might be gained by trying Orbit?
Tom T. wrote:So if you wish to explain what are the advantages of a separate download tool that would be very nice and would answer what the OP asked. (I'm kind of curious myself) .. Nothing is self-evident to a new user.
Yeah, what are the advantages of a separate download tool?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You are on Mac and so not all of the downloader suggestions will be available to you as most are for windows. You ALWAYS have a built-in downloder in Firefox as part of its function, and if that's sufficient, then no need for another downloader, just use Flashgot to send it to your built-in and done. If you want some ideas of downloaders, you can look at the list in Flashgot settings dropdown and google the names. Orbit is popular because it is light, it has a history function that tells you that you got this in the past, it has the ability to pause/resume a download if the server is compatible, it also has collision detection (which is when the files have the same name) and can rename them automatically or based on some filter you set, you can get this function in DownThemAll as well and it comes as a self contained extension in Fx so it might be easier to manage and has almost zero interface with your system, so problems should be less, I use it myself. I hope this answers everything, sorry I am not picking your post apart piece by piece, I felt this was more direct to your questions.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
sumflow

Post by sumflow »

Thank You!

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You are very welcome.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

I was worried that the second picture named 1.jpg will overwrite my first picture named 1.jpg. The current version of Flashgot seems to pick this up and rename the second copy very nicely so I don’t lose my stuff.
That is not a function of FlashGot.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091206 Firefox/2.0 SeaMonkey/2.0.1