Fastest Download Accelerator To Use With FlashGot?

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
roddhall

Fastest Download Accelerator To Use With FlashGot?

Post by roddhall »

I would like to maximize the speed (minimize the download time) for downloading videos (.wmv and .mp4) in the 150-300 MB size range. What is the fastest download accelerator for this type of file, that also works well with the Firefox FlashGot addon?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.20) Gecko/20110803 Firefox/3.6.20
therube
Ambassador

Re: Fastest Download Accelerator To Use With FlashGot?

Post by therube »

Is one faster then another?
Would expect all to be able support multiple threads to a single download.
More important is that the server supports multiple threads & doesn't limit download speeds.

I'd use the one that suits your style.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110820 Firefox/6.0 SeaMonkey/2.3.1
roddhall

Post by roddhall »

therube,

Of course one is faster than the other! Otherwise, why would any coder bother to create a new one?

But that's not the point, is it? The point is that you didn't want to answer a legitimate question posed by a newby ... you just wanted to sound smart without actually having to answer the question.

You may think that talking in generalities about "supporting multiple threads" and "not limiting download speeds" makes you sound like an expert, but someone who really knew what they were talking about, and who really cared to answer the question would be willing to say which download accelerator he actually uses ... and to explain why.

I dare you. Otherwise, why not stay off the forum and stop wasting our time by trying to sound smart by belittling the questions of others?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.20) Gecko/20110803 Firefox/3.6.20
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

If I knew more, I'd tell you.
Feature differences? UI differences? UX differences? May make a difference to you, or not.
I have not benchmarked download manager speeds, so I don't know if one performs better then another.
I don't know of any reviews offhand were download manager speeds were benchmarked?

If you don't care for what I have to say, don't listen.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110820 Firefox/6.0 SeaMonkey/2.3.1
roddhall

Post by roddhall »

OK, I won't.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

I don't know anything at all about Flashgot or any other download managers or accelerators; I'm here strictly to do NoScript support. So I know even less than you about this topic, and freely admit it.

A Web search (which you too could do) turned up very little in the way of independent, unbiased benchmark tests. This answer came from Yahoo Answers:
Look now buddy. They all download with the same speed. I know that some people are now flaming me while reading this but downloading speed depends on the site hosting or P2P upload rate,and also your internet host. download managers just use that net,they cant amplify it because you're allowed as much as the host gives you.

I use flashget because i like it. ive seen tons of videos that people accelerate download speed like x100 times,but do you think this little trick will cheat the whole world? If that's true will people pay for a better Inet connection while they can just put a free program and WHOALA 100 times faster.
Think about it.
Not phrased in the most civil manner, but ...

He seems to be saying pretty much what therube said: It's limited by the server, your ISP, and probably by the speed of your CPU if you have an older system. And if someone invented a tool to accelerate speed 200x, I could get 56k dial-up for 1/4 the cost of the 10 Mbps cable that I'm paying for.
roddhall wrote:Of course one is faster than the other! Otherwise, why would any coder bother to create a new one?
Umm,

1) To make money, if it's payware.
2) Ego, to have their name and product splashed all over the Net.
3) In the worst case, to install malware along with the product.
4) They think that their GUI or bells and whistles are better than the other guy's. Some users will agree; others won't. Personal taste varies widely. So there may be room for a lot of accelerators, each suiting an individual preference -- as also said by therube:
I'd use the one that suits your style.
Analogy: Which is the fastest browser? Depends on who's running the test and what they're testing, under what conditions. We all know that Firefox or Seamonkey + NoScript is the *safest* browser, but for the non-security-conscious, which is most users, there is choice among Chrome, Opera, and many others. And each has its adherents.

Cheers. :)

ETA: Also, you should update your Firefox 3.6.20 to the latest, 3.6.24, as there have been several critical security issues fixed since your version.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.24) Gecko/20111103 Firefox/3.6.24
wonderland

Post by wonderland »

The only way to find out is to try them both.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.77 Safari/535.7
libastral

Post by libastral »

I use Free download manager with 8 sections setting, it does help a lot if the server is overseas and for youtube.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:15.0) Gecko/15.0 Firefox/15.0a1