You tube video taking a long time to download

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
Subu

You tube video taking a long time to download

Post by Subu »

Hi

1. I use (and used ) a windows PC, firefox and Lan (wired / wireless)

Earlier (some months ago when I was on an earlier FG version)

1.1 Some months ago, I used to listen / watch a youtube video and download it with great ease using Flash got old version (and probably FF older version)
1.1. What did I do and what did I experience then ? :
- When I finished watching the video I used to click on Tools -> Falshgot -> Flash got media
- The media which has been listened to all along would download in a jiffy ..in some seconds
- to a non technical person it looked like Flash got downloaded the file from a buffer or memory

What happens Now (today ...with the current firefox 6 and flashgot 1.3.0.6)
2. when I finish listening / viewing the Youtube video and click tools -> flashgot ->flashgot media, the firefox "downloads" opens and it takes a long time - say 6 minutes for a 7 mb file to download
2.1. This is definitely much longer than it took earlier and seems to eliminate the advantage I had with flash got earlier
2.3. It seems the file is being fully downloaded again ..meaning no major advantage of flashgot

What am I missing or what has changed ?

What can I do to get downloads faster ?

Oh..the good ol' days !!:-)

TIA
regards
Subu
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: You tube video taking a long time to download

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Recent Firefox versions don't allow FlashGot to reuse the cache as it happened before, when downloads where instantaneous if you already watched/listened the media.

The way to achieve the old speed is stopping to watch the clip as soon as you start downloading it, and watching it offline when the download is done.

I'm currently looking for ways to restore a behavior similar to the former, but I'm not sure it's technically feasible.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: You tube video taking a long time to download

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Ok, well that answers another question, why my news video clips that were watched completely and then clicked to download suddenly started becoming 0 or 23k size useless files. Some servers don't allow the double tap. So now I click on view, I pause it, let it buffer, download and then finish watching it. But now, I guess I skip the waiting for it to buffer part, since the cache is no longer usable. I can just load, when it pops on the list, pause, and then initiate download and in the meantime the buffer fills and then I can watch it quickly online using the existing buffer. Wow, such a pain, but thanks for the heads up Giorgio, that explains alot.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0