Issue with FG Media and Free Download Manager

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
therube
Ambassador

Re: Issue with FG Media and Free Download Manager

Post by therube »

I get videoplayback at Youtube too using Net Transport (download manager).
Other sites, depending on the site, I'll get a "pretty" name, other times something more generic (like a number).

Believe it is a limitation with the download manager & what can be passed to it?

There are a couple Preferences; flashgot.media.forceNameHack & flashgot.media.guessName that may have some effect, but I don't recall what they do? (Perhaps in FAQ or changelog?)

And some other "Net Transport" settings (that I also don't recall what they're for):

flashgot.Net_Transport.encode
flashgot.dmsopts.Net_Transport.encode
flashgot.dmsopts.Net_Transport_2.stripHash
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110706 Firefox/5.0 SeaMonkey/2.2
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

The problem is FDM (and most other external downloaders) not giving any mean to force a certain file name, and trying to guess from the download URL.
Since Youtube's movie URLs all end in "videoplayback.flv", external download managers use that name for every Youtube movie.

You can get pretty names by switching the download manager listed in the FlashGot Options|FlashGot Media specific panel to "Built in".
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
nolan_vode

Post by nolan_vode »

Giorgio Maone wrote:The problem is FDM (and most other external downloaders) not giving any mean to force a certain file name, and trying to guess from the download URL.
Since Youtube's movie URLs all end in "videoplayback.flv", external download managers use that name for every Youtube movie.

You can get pretty names by switching the download manager listed in the FlashGot Options|FlashGot Media specific panel to "Built in".
I'm guessing what I'm about to inquire is not news to anyone one here, but I cant seem to find an up to date answer.

I use Flashgot and FDM; pretty much a perfect marriage.

In the recent past that annoying "videoplayback" thing started to occur along with other download issues at You Tube that I"m sure you are all aware of.

Most of that, at least for now, seems to be history now except for one thing.

With the latest releases of FDM, I can use the FDM independent of Flashgot at a site like You Tube, and under "save as" in the FDM d/l interface, it will generate the files' proper name and download it with that name.

If I choose to go thru Flashgot, using FDM as the download manager, when I right click the Flashgot toolbar button, it will show the proper file name, but after selecting that name, the FDM download GUI that appears shows "videoplayback" as the name in the "save as" field.

However, just to the right, in the "Comment" field, you find the proper file name.

At that point, there are several options; You can alter the "save as" field to whatever name you see fit, with the proper extension (I just copy what I find in the Comment" field and paste it into the "save as" box, making the necessary editing for it to work. Or, If you want, just copy the file name from above the video on the download page, paste it into the "save as" box, and give in an extension)

Or you can just alter the name of the file after download.

I use Firefox (or IE if I have no other choice). Yes, you can use the "built in" download manager, but since it is painfully slow, this is not an acceptable solution.

Unlike before, now that FDM is able to sort out the right name on it's own, why can it not do the same when partnered with Flashgot? :?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1