Getting audio and video in one file

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
josephj

Getting audio and video in one file

Post by josephj »

I've been using the latest Flashgot with the latest Firefox on Linux (currently Kubuntu 14.04 with KDE 4.14.12) for years - very happily. It's connected to DownThemAll to do the actual downloading.

For the past few months, I have been encountering quite a few streams where I can get the audio or the video, but not both together in one file. Sometimes there is a combined file, but it's buried in among many others.

Here's the one I just got stuck on. I have the audio and the video as separate files, but don't know how to get them combined or combine them after the fact without learning a movie editing program.

Any ideas on what's going on and how to deal with it would be appreciated.

These streams play fine in the browser itself.

[Edit]
I just clicked on the View on Youtube button in the player and was able to find versions to download that have both audio and video combined, but I still want to understand what's going on and why I had to do that.
[/Edit]

TIA

Joe

http://reviveprimarycare.com/halloween-and-sugar/

(half way down the page)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Getting audio and video in one file

Post by Thrawn »

The site is choosing to split the content over the two streams. Maybe they get performance/caching benefits, or maybe they want to make it harder for people to rip them. Presumably the browser JavaScript/plugin is combining them for you.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Getting audio and video in one file

Post by therube »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.30