How to remove Pyload from flashgot?

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
vsrawat

How to remove Pyload from flashgot?

Post by vsrawat »

I am using windows 8, firefox 29, and orbit as my default downloader. it is working well.

Today I noticed that something pyload is appearing in list of download managers.

I don't know what it is ans I don't want it appear there. I don't have it installed on my system.

how to remove it from flashgot or from system?

Thanks.
--
Rawat
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: How to remove Pyload from flashgot?

Post by Thrawn »

======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
vsrawat

Post by vsrawat »

The only mention that link has is this -
-
nolan_vode wrote:3. Why does pyload appear on my Flashgot toolbar button dropdown menu?

Because it supports remote (over the network) control, therefore there's no way to tell whether it's really "available" or not.
-

It doesn't tell me how to remove this pyload from appearing in flashgot ff right click menu. I don't have anything pyload installed on my system.

How did it reach there and now how to remove this?

Thanks.
--
Rawat
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

It's there so that you have the option to remote-control a Pyload instance on some other machine.

Why do you need to remove it?
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
vsrawat

Post by vsrawat »

Thrawn wrote:It's there so that you have the option to remote-control a Pyload instance on some other machine.

Why do you need to remove it?
I don't know what it is and how it reached there so I am apprehensive of it.

There is not a single thing unknown to me otherwise in my system.

I had earlier tried some remote-control software (without hardware) to make my tv tuner work, but that didn't work out so I had removed them all.

where to look for such "remote control" things/ files/ drivers/ data so that I can remove it.

On a related note, several Human-Interface-Devices and MS Ehome infrared somethings are appearing in my device driver list, that I don't have installed or used. I use normal ps/2 mouse and kbd. I wonder if these are related to this problem.

In summary, I think that because it is appearing in flashgot option, flashgot must give users some option to uninstall or remove or hide it or not use it. flasgot should somehow mark it in its list of alternatives it is presenting.

Please guide me how to remove pyload thinggy from anywhere in my system.

Thanks.
--
Rawat
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

vsrawat wrote: Please guide me how to remove pyload thinggy from anywhere in my system.
You don't have any pyload installed anywhere in your system.
That menu entry is there just in case you decide to install pyload, because -- differently from other download managers -- FlashGot has no means to detect whether it's actually installed or not.
Just leave the menu entry alone (and unchecked) and forget about pyload.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
vsrawat

Post by vsrawat »

ohk. that was comforting enough.

I am relieved.

Still, I think flashgot should give us option not to show anything additional than what we want to see. Hope some future version of flashgot would give option to us to remove or hide such things that we are not using. Developers might give it a thought, just because it is very discomforting to see something pop up out of the blue that we have not installed. We think some virus or hacking is there, and we get worried.

Thanks.
--
Rawat
flashgot.user

Post by flashgot.user »

Just disable automatic download manager detection (FlashGot Options -> Advanced tab), remove the pyLoad entry from the flashgot.detect.cache preference (about:config?filter=flashgot.detect.cache), and restart your browser.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.25
vsrawat

Post by vsrawat »

flashgot.user wrote:Just disable automatic download manager detection (FlashGot Options -> Advanced tab), remove the pyLoad entry from the flashgot.detect.cache preference (about:config?filter=flashgot.detect.cache), and restart your browser.
:-) That's it.

That did it. pyload is appearing in the list of download managers, but it is not not bold, and is not appearing in flashgot context menu.

Thanks a lot.

Just one more thing. There is something "WellGet" also appearing as bold in download managers. I didn't find any such mention in about:config

Any method to make that NON-bold?

What makes flashgot partial towards pyload and wellget?

Thanks again.
--
Rawat
flashgot.user

Post by flashgot.user »

Giorgio already explained about pyLoad - because it can't be detected automatically. And if you disable it, those who do have it installed won't be able to select it from the list.
As for WellGet, it's enabled for me (and for everyone else) as well because it's marked as "always enabled". As to why it's always enabled, only Giorgio can answer this because it's him who wrote that code, others can only guess. I've never used WellGet, so can only judge by the detection code, and from what I see, it looks like WellGet doesn't have any installation entries in the system (e.g. some registry keys) probably because it doesn't need installation and just works as a "portable" package, so the situation is the same as with pyLoad: it can't be detected automatically, and those who use it have to set the path to wellget.exe manually either using the Options dialog (that's why it's enabled just like pyLoad) or in the flashgot.WellGet.path preference.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.25
vsrawat

Post by vsrawat »

I have been using flashgot for almost a decade I guess, don't remember, ever since, I would say.

I found it very useful and it is one of first addons I install in a new setup of ff. Can't think of living without it.

Just one suggestion I would like to make -
may be you can give a button to "hide inactive download managers" in the options dropdown box, they will remain there but would not display if that "hide" option is selected.
this way they would not scare gullible users who get worried what such a long list is doing. that require long scroll also, tiring my mouse out. :-)

or may be you can give option for hiding such pyload, wellget sort of active options also, until the user selects them. Show us only those that we select and use, hide all others.

Maybe you could give it a thought and come up with something that would not bombard users with so many options that unnerve us.

That would make this great option even more friendly.

Thanks.
--
Rawat