FlashGot bug

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
Alhula

FlashGot bug

Post by Alhula »

I would like to report a bug and request a feature to help prevent future iterations of this bug from occurring.

1. The bug itself: I have Youtube set to block automatic buffering/autoplaying. Without FlashGot installed, if I go to a new video, everything is fine. The page loads, and the video doesn't load, everything works great. Then I installed FlashGot. Navigating to new Youtube pages causes my bandwidth monitor to go haywire and download in the background nonstop. I have a 1Mb/s line and I went afk for dinner one night after loading a video page. When I returned, FlashGot had leeched over 100MB without my consent, without warning, and *nothing* to show of it. No video content had loaded or was downloaded anywhere. Bear in mind I have a severely restrictive monthly bandwidth cap, which makes the problem far more severe.

What is it doing? Trying to download the video in any and all formats available, including the massive 1080p versions available?

2. Assuming this gets fixed, what's to say it won't happen again once Google borks Youtube again? I use FlashGot to download videos on obscure websites, not from Youtube itself. The ViewTube userscript is currently better for downloading from Youtube anyway. What I'd like to be able to do is blacklist, or disable FlashGot from working on certain sites, similar to how NoScript works, so that I can disable FlashGot on Youtube only, or heck, maybe a whitelist would be better? Keep it disabled on all pages and only enable it on pages that you need it on.

I currently have FlashGot disabled. I hope this gets fixed somehow so I can re-enable it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: FlashGot bug

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Most likely a known recently introduced conflict with NoScript's ABE, I'm gonna fix that in next release.
If you're using NoScript too, just temporarily disable ABE from NoScript Options|Advanced|ABE.

On a side note, Youtube's autodetection (which is definitely the most complex part of the otherwise generalized "Media Sniffer" feature) can be disabled by setting the flashgot.media.YouTube.autodetect about:config preference to false.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0