FlashGot - DownThemAll comparison

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
poutnikl

FlashGot - DownThemAll comparison

Post by poutnikl »

Does FlashGet offer advantage over extension DownThemAll, if no dedicated DLM is used ?

I was in past a fan of download managers, having usually some browser plugins/extensions in place.

I remember I was trying in past FlashGot as well, with managers, and perhaps without them too, not sure about the latter.

My favourite DLM in last years was FreeDownloadManager.
But at some time I realized it had frequent compatibility issues, not keeping pace with FF updates.

Than I have discovered DownThemAll! extension, that serves as integrated DL manager,
with most functions DLM offer + with browser menu items.
And, I like it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: FlashGot - DownThemAll comparison

Post by therube »

> Does FlashGet offer advantage over extension DownThemAll

It's more of a question of, "Does FlashGet offer advantage over extension DownThemAll" to you.

I've dabbled with DTA & IMO it is very good & I would prefer it, & I use it sometimes, but ...

But ... I can do stuff, more or easier or better, with my download manager, like:

I like to keep history of my downloads; (download) location, size, referrer
Allows easy renaming, easy access to the download
Has a "sniffer" (though I do have to Run As Admin to enable it)
Easy proxy support (assuming you can find a worthwhile proxy)
Gives good technical details on the file & download

Nothing earth shattering, but enough to be of value to me.

If I were a more of a simply "download & go" type, DTA would be more then sufficient, far better then built-in, probably better then most what I would call "plain jane, do nothing, tell nothing" downloaders.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.22a2
poutnikl

Post by poutnikl »

therube wrote:> Does FlashGet offer advantage over extension DownThemAll

-----
I like to keep history of my downloads; (download) location, size, referrer
Allows easy renaming, easy access to the download.....
IMO DTA offers that, as .
My impression is it offers most of DLM core functionalities, without bells and whistles of some.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:20.3) Gecko/20130809 Firefox/20.3 PaleMoon/20.3
namal

Post by namal »

I use Free download manager with 8 sections setting, it does help a lot if the server is overseas and for youtube.

If you want to get Testking GCIH certified then take advantage of latest Principia College dumps as well as VMWARE test demos and pass real exam on first try.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2125.101 Safari/537.36