Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
i have to post this (again)

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Post by i have to post this (again) »

Many other extentions have been incompatible with each other for a while and to fix that some extention developers have done pretty much the same thing as this guy. so yeah why r you bashing him when u can go back other extention developers for mainly the same thing. I REST MY CASE
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
i ahev to post this (again)

Post by i ahev to post this (again) »

Honestly, this is all really childish. I don't know or really care who did what first; the escalation in rhetoric (not just code) needs to stop. I'm glad that Giorgio seems to have taken a first step here. These absurd posts from AdBlock supporters aren't helping any either. Yes, NoScript needs to not try to meddle with what AdBlock does; seriously, that's not cool. But AdBlock's been retaliating in kind and that needs to stop too. I don't use AdBlock now, myself; I suggest maybe AdBlock needs to rethink whether they're going beyond their scope - I'd personally expect them to limit themselves to large third-party ad networks that might have privacy implications, not every little sponsored thing on every site. AdBlock's rhetoric makes me very wary of whether they have their heads on straight.

I totally agree. Oh and the last time i used adblock it broke some of what noscript does. HMMM
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

Giorgio Maone wrote:I'm unlocking this topic for transparence sake.
In that spirit, can you please respond to the allegations that have been made, in precise technical language. Something more than "countermeasures" were added, proved to be "overzealous" and removed.

1) Did you, in NS 1.9.2 (released on AMO), patch Adblock Plus code? In what way?
2) Did you obfuscate this patching? How?
3) Why did you obfuscate?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
i have to post this

Post by i have to post this »

According to his f.a.q and other sources. All he did was add extra lines to the abp filterset.
John the Jew

Post by John the Jew »

Its unfortunate that Ares chose to escalate this to the point of blocking everything. The dirty Italian shouldn't have messed with shit that wasn't his though. Both of you are at fault. However, it really is pathetic that Ares decided to paint the dirty Italian as some evil monster who was attacking people.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
weaselkeeper

Re: IT'S FIXED: DON'T PUNISH YOURSELF BY REMOVING NOSCRIPT

Post by weaselkeeper »

How can I trust it now? Without digging in through the code myself?

Once the breach of trust has occurred, it's going to take a lot of work to fix it.

The author of NoScript took an action that was inexcusable, and totally removed any inclination I have to trust his work. I liked the extension, I found the functionality useful. But I can no longer trust it, it's gone. Maybe someone will write something else that I can use, maybe he'll rebuild trust over time. But for now, NoScript is off my machines.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042523 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.0.10

Post by Guest »

Here some the fanbois and fanatics who have no actual understanding of what went on... I suggest everybody read: http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=877. It shows exactly what went on.

PS: Tom -- That was a terrible title. It makes you seem desperate.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

To everyone who has posted and is expecting a reply. Please factor into consideration that he is on a different time zone and after not sleeping all night and abandoning his family for the sake of making things right, he needs a few hours of down time to rest and get back on track. So please be patient if there is a delay in response to your requests for answers. I am sure they will come in time and as he posted above not too long ago, he is going to get some rest since it is officially morning and he hasn't slept in nearly 2 days. Thanks.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
The Original God of War

Post by The Original God of War »

John the Jew wrote:Its unfortunate that Ares chose to escalate this to the point of blocking everything. The dirty Italian shouldn't have messed with shit that wasn't his though. Both of you are at fault. However, it really is pathetic that Ares decided to paint the dirty Italian as some evil monster who was attacking people.
Oh didn't you know Germans are somehow superior, benevolent and kind; with god given rights bestowed to Ares? :roll:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10

Post by guest »

I enjoyed the e-drama. ABP blog, Slashdot, Reddit....Proof that the internet is incapable of reasonable thought and response that doesn't insult everyone's mother.
Now that it's all over, time for some tvtropes.

Are you sure that kind of title won't enrage the bandwagoneers again?
Mozilla/5.0 Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.0

Post by Guest »

Maybe someone could organize the quotes?
For example:
"How dare you insult our intelligence?"

This one is gold, damn gold indeed. :lol:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Guest wrote:PS: Tom -- That was a terrible title. It makes you seem desperate.
Thanks for the input. As we all know, everyone perceives things differently. My intent was to try to calm the situation -- it's fixed -- and to try to bring some reason to those who stomped off "threatening" to remove NS. Since it's not a paid-for program, (or if it was, you already bought it), this doesn't hurt the developer nearly as much as it hurts the user who removes it. That is the point I was trying to bring home to those who were angry -- you're only hurting yourself. I wouldn't think of browsing without NS, and I don't get paid to say that -- I'm a volunteer here, as we all are.

I just care about everyone's safety on the Net. I guess I could say, "Okay, get rid of it. Hope you're pwned within two hours." I'm not that kind of person -- not spiteful.

If other people perceive that title as sounding "desperate", I'm certainly open to editing the title. What would you suggest?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

guest wrote:I enjoyed the e-drama.
It was less fun for those involved, I'm sure.
Proof that the internet is incapable of reasonable thought and response that doesn't insult everyone's mother.

Sometimes it surely seems that way. But we can try to focus on the positive. A similar example is Wikipedia. They have massive edit wars, but somehow, some pretty decent stuff does get published.
Are you sure that kind of title won't enrage the bandwagoneers again?
As in the previous post, what would you suggest instead, that better tries to communicate the messge within?
Thanks for your input.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
Pablo V M

Post by Pablo V M »

To Giorgio

The main thing here is that a piece of software that was supposed to be a security tool modifies the user system without his knowledge, that is what a virus should do, not a security program. If you want revenue for your work sale your software, you can let the user to test your extension for a period of time, and pay for it if they like it, all the antivirus companies does that and they are not messing around with other people software.

Trust is hard to earn and is easily lost. You created a piece of malware once, who can be sure that you will not do it again if your revenues are not enough for you?
For the sake of the security I hope that version 1.9.2.6 did not appeared too late... but I am looking for another extension that can be used instead of NS
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-AR; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

@ John the Jew and
@ The Original God of War,

We need to stay on topic and especially leave race, religion, nationality, and all other irrelevant factors out of this. Otherwise, the post will have to be deleted.
Please express your opinions calmly -- it gives them more credibility. Thank you for your cooperation.