When is it coming to google chrome i see they fixed bugs?

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
heavyweight

When is it coming to google chrome i see they fixed bugs?

Post by heavyweight »

hi been following the thread at google developer sight i see they fixed the bugs for noscript to be ported over is there any time frame? thought i would register and ask beings when it dose come this is the place to be.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/17.0.963.66 Safari/535.11
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: When is it coming to google chrome i see they fixed bugs

Post by Giorgio Maone »

We're still at experimental stages, but something should be public by this summer.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
heavyweight

Post by heavyweight »

awesome look forward to it thanks for taking the time to port it over.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/17.0.963.66 Safari/535.11
ssjkakaroto

Post by ssjkakaroto »

I wonder how many people will move away from FF to Chrome after Noscript for it gets released...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

ssjkakaroto wrote:I wonder how many people will move away from FF to Chrome after Noscript for it gets released...
That probably depends on how many people understand that it will still be inferior to NS on Firefox.
Giorgio Maone wrote:... Chrome as a platform is very limiting: for instance, I still need to figure out -- and I'm pressuring Chrome engineers to help in this field -- how to implement a ClearClick feature on Chrome which is remotely comparable to the one available on Firefox. Therefore, the main development line will always be conducted on Firefox and then retrofitted as much as possible to work on Chrome. Actually, I put a Chrome porting among my priorities because I keep seeing people lured in a false sense of security by the Chrome sandbox (which can be worked around as demonstrated in the recent Pwn2Own and Google's own hacking contests, and most important provide zero protection against webappsec attacks) and by the presence of so-called NoScript-like extensions which are very limited in protection breadth and effectiveness. My goal there is providing a "NoScript for Chrome" with the guarantee of superior quality code and "the best protection available in Chrome", even though I will always recommend the Firefox counterpart.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28
ssjkakaroto

Post by ssjkakaroto »

Thanks for the info Tom, but I believe that will be just a matter of time, until Chrome has what's needed for a fully working Noscript.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

ssjkakaroto wrote:Thanks for the info Tom, but I believe that will be just a matter of time, until Chrome has what's needed for a fully working Noscript.
Time will tell, but a matter of time indeed -- considering that Google first invited Giorgio to port NS to Chrome in 2009. Almost three years later, they still haven't given him the complete infrastructure needed. At this pace ...

I should have added that IMHO, why on Earth would any person who is conscious enough of their security and privacy to use NS, want to use a browser made by a company that derives 99% of its income from selling user data and ads, mostly *targeted*, and therefore in the data-collection business? And who has been sued for gross violation of privacy and misuse/excessive retention of data by, among others, the EU?

Rhetorical question, I guess, as the answer seems to be: plenty of people. (presumably including yourself).

You have google-analytics.com blocked by default in NS, with a Surrogate Script running in its place to protect you, and yet, you want to use a browser made by those whose scripting you don't trust? ... won't Google find a way to run G-A.com in their own browser, despite NS? (shrugs -- shows what the power of a lot of PR $ can do.)

Cheers.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28