Is there a way to block URL parameters?

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
rg57

Is there a way to block URL parameters?

Post by rg57 »

I'm interested in blocking unnecessary URL parameters.

Some sites seem to use a lot of parameters associated with Google Analytics, but I'm unclear whether or how these can be blocked using NoScript.

I'm referring to the unnecessary list that looks sort of like this, at the end of a URL:
?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+name+%28Name

Any time a URL containing these specific parameters (any of the five: source, medium, term, content, campaign) is considered, I'd like NoScript (or some other addon) to strip out those parameters. I've found that, for whatever reason, my PC and internet connection run noticeably faster when I strip those particular parameters out. It can make the difference between actually viewing the resulting page, and timing out.

I'm sure other folks have other parameters they would like to block on some sites.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
luntrus

Re: Is there a way to block URL parameters?

Post by luntrus »

Hi rg57,

There is an interesting example link on this issue here: http://www.onetakemedia.net/blog/google ... 1-4-posts/
How that could come implemented in either ABP or NS you'd better ask the developers thereof.
But also a good way would be to use the versatility of a wonderful extension like RP (RequestPolicy) in combination with ICF add-on,

luntrus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.16) Gecko/2010010414 Firefox/3.0.16 Flock/2.5.6