Ask every time for cookies vs. NoScript

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
cbelov

Ask every time for cookies vs. NoScript

Post by cbelov »

If I have not enabled script for a site in NoScript, and I have my Firefox Cookie prefs set to:

Accept cookies from sites - Checked
Accept third-party cookies - Unchecked
Keep until - Ask me every time

and I go to a site, such as http://www.startribune.com which appears to send multiple cookie requests on a single page, then if I check the checkbox in the Firefox Cookie dialog, Use my choice for all cookies from this site, and click Allow For Session, the checkbox has no effect at that time, and I get asked over and over if I want to accept the cookie.

This repetitive behavior does not happen if I have no cookies for that site, but have allowed scripts for that site. It also does not happen on subsequent visits to that page even if I allow scripts. It only happens on the first visit. (And, just a heads-up to the developers, it is a pain to make the cookie go away and stay away in order to test this; forget recent history is not sufficient; I had to navigate away from the page, clear the cookie, clear the cookie permissions, clear the cache, and restart Firefox so that Firefox and http://www.startribune.com would treat my revisit as a first visit and not simply recreate the cookie without asking me even once *sigh*.)

It seems that NoScript needs a way to allow the Use my choice for all cookies from this site checkbox to work if scripts are disabled for a site that sends multiple cookies.

NoScript 1.9.9.47

Hope this helps.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Re: Ask every time for cookies vs. NoScript

Post by Alan Baxter »

cbelov wrote:If I have not enabled script for a site in NoScript, and I have my Firefox Cookie prefs set to:

Accept cookies from sites - Checked
Accept third-party cookies - Unchecked
Keep until - Ask me every time

and I go to a site, such as http://www.startribune.com which appears to send multiple cookie requests on a single page, then if I check the checkbox in the Firefox Cookie dialog, Use my choice for all cookies from this site, and click Allow For Session, the checkbox has no effect at that time, and I get asked over and over if I want to accept the cookie.
<snipped>
NoScript 1.9.9.47
In a new test profile that didn't have NoScript or any other extensions installed, I had to click that stupid box up to 13 times if I wasn't really quick. I get the same behavior if NoScript is installed and scripts are not allowed on startribune.com. I don't think it's a NoScript issue.

I discovered that if I have a permanent Allow for Session exception for stmedia.startribune.com in the Firefox cookie prefs, then Firefox doesn't ask me about cookies for that site, even if there are no cookies present already and scripts are blocked with NoScript. If you ever clear your history, make sure you don't have Site Preferences checked. Otherwise the Allow for Session exception will be deleted.

Edit: BTW, I wondered where that one stmedia.startribune.com cookie was coming from, since all the cookies referenced in the page's source code were served by javascript. I used the Firefox Content settings to block all the images. No more cookies too!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6