urgh that sound

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
tgkprog

urgh that sound

Post by tgkprog »

the sound file chrome://noscript/skin/block.wav is really bad. like chalk on a board. i did not know what was making it. disabled 10 add ons then tried no script last as it was not there before .... does no one else think it should be replaced by a less irritating notification sound? or maybe the icon just changes 2-3 times (toggles between 2 images_ so it gets attention
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: urgh that sound

Post by Tom T. »

NoScript menu > Options > Notifications > uncheck "Audio feedback when scripts are blocked" > OK.

Note that if you would still like audio notifications, but with a sound more to your liking, you can click "Choose" and browse to an appropriate sound file on your machine that you prefer.
Last edited by Tom T. on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct location of alt sound files
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
tgkprog

Post by tgkprog »

i saw that. but the default sound should be *much* better (suggestion 1) IMO

have diabled it. would prefer a short visual notification (suggestion 2)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

tgkprog wrote:i saw that. but the default sound should be *much* better (suggestion 1) IMO
It was originally much worse. ;) Seriously, "better" is a matter of personal taste. (De gustibus non disputandem est, or "Can't argue about taste".)
tgkprog wrote:have diabled it. would prefer a short visual notification (suggestion 2)
While you were in the same tab (NoScript menu > Options > Notifications), you'd have seen at the top "Show message about blocked scripts", along with the choice to move the message from top to bottom, and for how many seconds it should last, if not for the entire time at that page.

http://noscript.net/faq#qa1_6 would have answered these questions. You might peruse the rest of the FAQ at your leisure, and you'll find many other customizations and features, and have many questions answered before they need to be asked.

Cheers.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
tgkprog

Post by tgkprog »

fine scratch the suggestions make a poll for a good sound! (no i dont think they will do it but just wanted to reply since u so nicely did ) i did notice the image thing later. it does not flash - but the time out is nice.

edit: checked the Show messages at the bottom img no script. i choose the options. clicked ok. then i opened this site, clicked the options again and did a screen cap so u can see my choices and the message on the top. i expected it to ne on the bottom
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

tgkprog wrote:fine scratch the suggestions make a poll for a good sound! (no i dont think they will do it but just wanted to reply since u so nicely did )
Thanks. I think a poll of "What sound would you most like to hear when NS blocks scripts" would be, uh, "low" on the priority list ;) , and produce thousands of different answers. Isn't giving users the opportunity to use any saved or downloaded sound file good enough? (I know you were kidding! :) )
i did notice the image thing later. it does not flash - but the time out is nice.
If it flashed, people would probably complain about the flashing. :? I know *I* would. :D
You *do* know that the color of the NS logo itself is a cue to things being blocked, right?
tgkprog wrote:edit: checked the Show messages at the bottom img no script. i choose the options. clicked ok. then i opened this site, clicked the options again and did a screen cap so u can see my choices and the message on the top. i expected it to ne on the bottom
I reproduced your situation, first having the bar at the top, then changed Notifications to "bottom". Reloading the page did not change it, but closing that browser window, opening a new window, and going back to the same page, the notification was indeed at the bottom. Try that.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You can replace the .wav file with whatever you like and make it read only so it is not overwritten, not enough?
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
computerfreaker

Post by computerfreaker »

As a matter of fact, I happen to like that sound - to me, it sounds like a space-blaster effect.
"One man's junk is another man's treasure"... why not just set your own preferred sound? "To each his own" is a sound proverb, IMHO...
With great power comes great responsibility.
Learn something new every day, and the rest will take care of itself.
Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

computerfreaker wrote:... why not just set your own preferred sound? "To each his own" is a sound proverb, IMHO...
"Sound" proverb? :lol: So, you do comedy, too? :P "Worst pun of the year" award, at least at this site. :D
computerfreaker

Post by computerfreaker »

computerfreaker wrote:... why not just set your own preferred sound? "To each his own" is a sound proverb, IMHO...
Tom T. wrote:"Sound" proverb? :lol: So, you do comedy, too? :P "Worst pun of the year" award, at least at this site. :D
:lol:
I hadn't even noticed that pun (totally unintentional)... thanks for the award, though! :P
With great power comes great responsibility.
Learn something new every day, and the rest will take care of itself.
Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5