NoScript gets more and more User unfriendly

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Hrwoje

NoScript gets more and more User unfriendly

Post by Hrwoje »

It's like with every software, it does not take long time and it gets user unfriendly, I'm a developer, too and also a system administrator with a very high level of understanding for user related issues, and I watch the software market all the time, testing software and so on, even the free or developed under GNU / GPL, too and and I really ALWAYS come to the fact seeing how software which was good becomes worse and worse from build to build, and I must say that this happened to NoScript too, I know NoScript upon from the first build, and so I think it's beyond my knowledge why the developer turned such a useful feature like affecting just the current tab to reload after the user allowed Script for just ONE site off.
No, instead to make it easy for the user to change this behavior by just two clicks, the developer writes on it's FAQ page how the user has to change it by using a total complicated and - for the user - irritating and annoying way.
The end user is not interested in typing in about:config and looking up the appropriated string, even power users don't like to do it, and so I want to know, what the heck is such complicated about it to use the commonly known functions and let it be persistent.
Your Software is good, and I absolutely don't know why you started to make a show off of it, it looks to me that you just want to show what a good programmer you are and forgot about the end user.

And for sure, I want an answer to all that above.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-CA; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript gets more and more User unfriendly

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Hrwoje wrote:it's beyond my knowledge why the developer turned such a useful feature like affecting just the current tab to reload after the user allowed Script for just ONE site off.
I'm not sure if you're complaining about the "sticky" menu behavior, which has been introduced by multiple user requests and can be overridden by just right-clicking on the NoScript icon or left clicking on the "Options" button, or something else. Please explain.
Hrwoje wrote:it looks to me that you just want to show what a good programmer you are and forgot about the end user.
Let me disagree. Just look around in this forum to see how legitimate user feedback is listened to and finds its way into code.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Hrwoje wrote:it looks to me that you just want to show what a good programmer you are and forgot about the end user.
Let me disagree. Just look around in this forum to see how legitimate user feedback is listened to and finds its way into code.
Let me second that statement. Read the changelog over the past several years. See how many powerful new features have been added, e. g. ABE. See how many enhancements, bug fixes, etc. have come from user reports.

If you have a legitimate question about a particular feature, as Giorgio said, let him know the specifics and he'll be happy to help. Personally attacking someone who has donated thousands of hours of his own time to help keep users safe on the Internet is unjustified and uncalled for .. and also not the best way to get a response. ;) A little courtesy goes a long way -- and *demanding* an answer is not necessary, either. We are happy to answer all legitimate questions. Thank you.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Hrwoje wrote:it's beyond my knowledge why the developer turned such a useful feature like affecting just the current tab to reload after the user allowed Script for just ONE site off.
I'm not sure if you're complaining about the "sticky" menu behavior, which has been introduced by multiple user requests and can be overridden by just right-clicking on the NoScript icon or left clicking on the "Options" button, or something else.
I believe he was referring to http://noscript.net/faq#qa5_2
It looks to me like you are a little bit of a troll, eh?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

dhouwn wrote:
It looks to me like you are a little bit of a troll, eh?
Good one, my friend. :)

(though I do try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, at least once, and especially if English is not their native language, which is a vibe I'm getting here. And everyone has a bad day once in a while. ;) Cheers to all!)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20