"Embeddings," "Top-level", "2nd level domain," etc...

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
jclarkw

"Embeddings," "Top-level", "2nd level domain," etc...

Post by jclarkw »

I'm an unskilled user struggling to better understand NoScript 11.0.13 in Firefox 73.0 under Windows 10 (1909). Having read through "https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/13/noscr ... irefox-57/" and "https://blog.jeaye.com/2017/11/30/noscript/", I'm now browsing the "https://noscript.net/faq." I'm seeing stuff that I can't parse like the following:

FAQ 1.12: "Check NoScript Options|General|Temporarily allow top-level sites by default and select 2nd level domain, "Check the NoScript Options|Embeddings|Apply these restrictions to trusted sites as well preference."

FAQ 3.7: "Notice that if you've got NoScript Options|Embeddings|Apply these restrictions to trusted sites as well checked (not the default), you'll need to use Blockable Objects|Temporarily allow *@http://216.xxx.yyy.zzz instead."

One specific and one general question:

1) Specific -- Although I do see the check box for Options/General/"Temporarily set top-level sites to TRUSTED" (apparently not site-specific), I do not see anything about "Embeddings" or "Blockable Objects" on any tab under Options, nor do I see an obvious way to refer to a "2nd level domain." What am I missing about these more advanced options?

2) General -- I had gotten it into my head that NoScript could allow scripting from specific 3rd-party sites on a per-top-level-site basis. For example, it could allow "...addthis.com" on the "...weather.gov" Web page without also allowing it on any other top-level site. This a conclusion appears to be wrong, however, since the listing at Options/Per-site Permissions is not hierarchical, not organized by top-level site. How much (if any) of this kind of detailed permission is afforded by NoScript?

One more specific question:

3) Where does NoScript store its settings and permissions? (I use Firefox inside of Sandboxie, and I want these settings to carry over between sessions.)

I have read that there isn't anything like an official user guide available for NoScript, but any clarity on these issues would be much appreciated! -- jclarkw
Last edited by barbaz on Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: kill board-generated links
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:72.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/72.0
barbaz

Re: "Embeddings," "Top-level", "2nd level domain," etc...

Post by barbaz »

That FAQ was written for NoScript Classic. Things are different in NoScript Webext.
jclarkw wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:54 pm 2) General -- I had gotten it into my head that NoScript could allow scripting from specific 3rd-party sites on a per-top-level-site basis. For example, it could allow "...addthis.com" on the "...weather.gov" Web page without also allowing it on any other top-level site. This a conclusion appears to be wrong, however, since the listing at Options/Per-site Permissions is not hierarchical, not organized by top-level site. How much (if any) of this kind of detailed permission is afforded by NoScript?
NoScript Webext doesn't have such ability yet.
jclarkw wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:54 pm 3) Where does NoScript store its settings and permissions? (I use Firefox inside of Sandboxie, and I want these settings to carry over between sessions.)
Firefox stores it inside storage-sync.sqlite (along with other extensions' settings) and/or storage/default/moz-extension+++<your unique ID for NoScript>^userContextId=<some number>
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Where does NoScript store its settings and permissions?
Isn't that in webappsstore.sqlite?
Looks like that is not it.

Though was it before, a couple years back or so?
(It'd be so much easier, & more logical - to users, if the file were named; noscript.ini, as it should be. Or even noscript.ini.sqlite, if need be.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.2 Lightning/5.8.1
jclarkw

Post by jclarkw »

barbaz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 pm That FAQ was written for NoScript Classic. Things are different in NoScript Webext.
...NoScript Webext doesn't have such ability yet.
Thanks much for this clarification. I suppose major changes were required to program for Firefox "Quantum!" Any idea whether Giorgio is working to put more of the old capabilities back?
barbaz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 pm Firefox stores it inside storage-sync.sqlite (along with other extensions' settings) and/or storage/default/moz-extension+++<your unique ID for NoScript>^userContextId=<some number>
I believe you are right about storage-sync.sqlite. I can't find a UUID listed for NoScript (about:config > extensions.webextensions.uuids > find the UUID of the addon), so I guess its all there... -- jclarkw
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:73.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/73.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

jclarkw wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:39 pm Any idea whether Giorgio is working to put more of the old capabilities back?
Yes, as technically possible. But I believe it's currently blocked on this stuff - viewtopic.php?p=101356#p101356
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
jclarkw

Post by jclarkw »

Thanks! Will hope... -- jclarkw
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:73.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/73.0