Deploy initial config via software managment tool

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
BusinessTux

Deploy initial config via software managment tool

Post by BusinessTux »

Hi,

for my personal Firefox installations I use the Noscript-AddOn a lot of years. Thanks for this great security enhancement.

At the moment I'm looking for way to configure the AddOn with a software managment tool. The installation of Firefox and the AddOn is successfully done. In the standard Noscript blocks all scripts. This behavior is good for me, because I test a lot of things and search engine results shows not only the good sites. But for the little secretary or the nurse this is too complicated. So I want to to have only the basice XSS-functionality and, if the user want more, the fully functionality of Noscript.

So my way is to set the general option "Disable restrictions globally (dangerous)". How can I set this option via configuration file or command line option?

I found this option in the export of addon configuration. But I don't found any way to import this script or tool.

Thanks
Ulf
You just do it right, it works.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Deploy initial config via software managment tool

Post by therube »

Extension preferences are no longer exposed in about:config, so I figure using a user.js would be worthless?

NoScript stores its' settings in a file (name escapes me, every time ;-)), & that file can be used, potentially, by multiple extensions, so that can make things more difficult.

If multiple extensions is not an issue, perhaps, by simply copying that file (once set with the settings wanted) into a particular (new) Profile, that would work? (Untested.)

(Quantum, & even FF 56 before, do things differently with extensions then what was easily accomplished with earlier, say FF 52 versions.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
BusinessTux

Post by BusinessTux »

Hi therube,

I'm not sure what they're trying to tell me :-(.

Yes, I found no options in about:config, so there are no entries in prefs.js. Because of this I'm searching for the settings store for the add on. In the unpacked xpi I found some old settings in the defaults.js (from my mind).

I hope somebody would tell me the settings store or give me some hint.

Thanks
Ulf
You just do it right, it works.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 8.0.0; SM-T825) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.99 Safari/537.36
jawz101

Post by jawz101 »

storage-sync.sqlite is created within your profile folder when extensions are installed.

You can use a sqlite database browser to view its contents but there are other extensions that might have data in there as well (HTTPS everywhere, cleanlinks, uBlock Origin, etc.)

For a standard enterprise image I'd just export your config and import it into the standard image. If you're looking to deploy via some managment console I would imagine it might take a bit of work.

You'd have to have some sqlite binary that ran a sql command upon login to insert the full row into the correct table w/in their into their storage-sync.sqlite database within their profile folder. Or if it's the only extension they use, maybe the whole sqlite database can be overwritten each login/day or something.

It may be that the source code for the import/export buttons shows the appropriate commands to do so but I dunno.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
a-l-e-c

Post by a-l-e-c »

I've created this feature request which I think is exactly what you need. Been using it with uBlock while testing automated extension installation:

https://github.com/hackademix/noscript/issues/303
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 16_5 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/16.5 Mobile/15E148 DuckDuckGo/7 Safari/605.1.15