So there's something out there that disables NoScript

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Plabby

So there's something out there that disables NoScript

Post by Plabby »

I've got something in Firefox now that shuts NoScript off entirely, preventing it from operating whatsoever. I think this was sneaked in by a pop-up duplicating one of the normal NoScript pop-ups. When it kicks in, I lose the normal four icons and get six unfamiliar ones, one of which looks like a tombstone with three dots. Hover over that, and there is a message to "Click here to retrieve missing icons." But none of these icons do anything, whatsoever.

I've uninstalled NoScript and reinstalled, but whatever is blocking NoScript remains. I'm going to uninstall the entire browser and start over from scratch.

Sorry I've no screen shots, but then I've no Photobucket, either.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
barbaz

Re: So there's something out there that disables NoScript

Post by barbaz »

Plabby wrote:When it kicks in, I lose the normal four icons and get six unfamiliar ones, one of which looks like a tombstone with three dots. Hover over that, and there is a message to "Click here to retrieve missing icons." But none of these icons do anything, whatsoever.
NoScript does have a feature like that. Clicking on the tombstone icon (or the center of the top bar of the NoScript popup) allows you to drag&drop the icons on the top bar to customise which ones you want to see and where on the top bar you want them.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Plabby

Post by Plabby »

Is NoScript effectively disabled at this point? It certainly seems the case, as you cannot allow or block any scripts—none of the buttons seem to do anything. Bear in mind, I wan't messing with NoScript options in any way that may have brought these strange icons up. Rather, while navigating a site, after temporarily allowing a group of scripts, NoScript became unresponsive, displaying the various odd icons described. NoScript stopped reporting what scripts were present; I simply had to close the browser out, because I could never fully navigate that site.

I actually reinstalled the browser, itself. After installing NoScript, it returned to its normal behavior, although FIrefox no longer accesses Hotmail following login.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
Plabby

Post by Plabby »

I had to refresh the Firefox browser to again access Hotmail.

Went a few days without NoScript. I should know better. The internet is entirely out of control without NoScript. I don't mind advertisement off to the side of a page—that's not intrusive, in and of itself. Some times, I even see something interesting and will click on it. However, it is creepy when you look at guitars on eBay, then every site you visit is plastered with pictures of every guitar you looked at on eBay, for days on end. This means there are scripts tracking your every movement, cataloguing and sharing your browsing history with everyone else in the world. That's some 1984-level shit.

There are other scripts that seem to do nothing but slow or prevent the loading of web pages. I found this even more annoying than the scripts launching advertisement videos in the center of your page while you try to read the news.

NoScript would not be necessary if advertisers could control themselves.

Put NoScript back on a few minutes ago.

Back to the problem I had before: Some script popped a window up that looked like a NoScript permission request (it had the NoScript logo). Once that was clicked, NoScript was crippled and certain sites no longer functioned. Visiting those sites and allowing any scripts to run temporarily switched NoScript off, replacing its controls with non-functioning ones, and the sites ceased working, altogether. The goal of my post was simply to put my experience out there, in case it happened to others, that the team might look into it.

Thanks for helping us regain some measure of control!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Some script popped a window up that looked like a NoScript permission request (it had the NoScript logo).
Screenshot?
Or just what was the wording of the popup?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5