NoScript has become unusable making me whitelist every move

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
IT_Architect

NoScript has become unusable making me whitelist every move

Post by IT_Architect »

Lately, NoScript has become unusable making me whitelist every move. One can't even expand the "read more" in reviews on Amazon, see half of the pictures on eBay, etc. It wasn't always this way. I did a reset, but that didn't fix anything.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript has become unusable making me whitelist every m

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Which NoScript version are you using, exactly?
Does disabling every other extension except NoScript change anything?
Does disabling NoScript, then disabling JavaScript by toggling the about:config "javascript.enabled" preference work better (in other words, might the websites just require more JavaScript than in the past)?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
IT_Architect

Post by IT_Architect »

>1. Which NoScript version are you using, exactly?<
NoScript 10.1.9.5, Firefox Quantum 62.0 64 bit, Windows 8.1 Pro latest patches.

>2. Does disabling every other extension except NoScript change anything?<,
No

>3. Does disabling NoScript, then disabling JavaScript by toggling the about:config "javascript.enabled" preference work better (in other words, might the websites just require more JavaScript than in the past)?<
Turn JavaScript off? Alongside HTML and CSS, JavaScript is one of the three core technologies of the World Wide Web. JavaScript enables interactive web pages and thus is an essential part of web applications. The vast majority of websites use it, and all major web browsers have a dedicated JavaScript engine to execute it. All responsive web sites use JavaScript frameworks such as BootStrap. I've never seen a website that does not use JavaScript.

*Right now, if you go to Amazon, and attempt to click a link to do add a comment to any review, it will not work until you manually change on a and you do not have it set as trusted. The page will show:
"This page works best with JavaScript. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. You can still see all customer reviews for the product."
JavaScript IS enabled in Firefox.

How does it work for you?
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> "read more" in reviews on Amazon

What sites have you allowed on Amazon?

If you restart in Safe Mode does Amazon work?

As a test, create a new, clean Profile.
Does Amazon work?
Add only NoScript, making no other changes.
Allow needed sites on Amazon.
Does Amazon work?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

IT_Architect wrote: Turn JavaScript off? Alongside HTML and CSS, JavaScript is one of the three core technologies of the World Wide Web. JavaScript enables interactive web pages and thus is an essential part of web applications. The vast majority of websites use it, and all major web browsers have a dedicated JavaScript engine to execute it. All responsive web sites use JavaScript frameworks such as BootStrap. I've never seen a website that does not use JavaScript.

*Right now, if you go to Amazon, and attempt to click a link to do add a comment to any review, it will not work until you manually change on a and you do not have it set as trusted. The page will show:
"This page works best with JavaScript. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. You can still see all customer reviews for the product."
JavaScript IS enabled in Firefox.

How does it work for you?
I might misunderstand, but this sounds like you want JavaScript enabled by default on all sites except those explicitly marked as UNTRUSTED.
This is not the way most NoScript users want/expect it to operate, but it's supported anyway:
Open NoScript Options>General>Preset customization and check the [ ] script box in the DEFAULT preset.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
IT_Architect

Post by IT_Architect »

>I might misunderstand, but this sounds like you want JavaScript enabled by default on all sites except those explicitly marked as UNTRUSTED.
This is not the way most NoScript users want/expect it to operate, but it's supported anyway:
Open NoScript Options>General>Preset customization and check the [ ] script box in the DEFAULT preset.<

What I know is:
- I've never had to do this before just lately.
- I don't understand what having scripts unchecked in default does. What I know with absolute certainty is that it does NOT block scripts from running. Hundreds of them run every time you visit a responsive web page.
- If the standard is to open up all of the popular sites, then it needs to ship with a profile that already has sites like Amazon, eBay, etc. already trusted or whatever.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

IT_Architect wrote:- I don't understand what having scripts unchecked in default does. What I know with absolute certainty is that it does NOT block scripts from running. Hundreds of them run every time you visit a responsive web page.
How are you determining this?
IT_Architect wrote:- If the standard is to open up all of the popular sites, then it needs to ship with a profile that already has sites like Amazon, eBay, etc. already trusted or whatever.
That's not the standard for NoScript's default whitelist. See FAQ 1.5.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-