Advice requested: stick with FF56 and NS5 for now, or...

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
bigtimensfan

Advice requested: stick with FF56 and NS5 for now, or...

Post by bigtimensfan »

Looks like I'll be in for some significant NS pain if I upgrade to FF57 and NS10.

Since many of you have already taken the plunge, let me ask: would you do it again, or would you stick with FF56 and NS5 until NS10 is fully cooked? Seems to me that the benefit of the speed upgrade of FF57 must be vastly outweighed by the pain of the bugs and (temporary) feature loss of NS10.

Thanks!

[And many thanks to Giorgio and the mods of this forum!]
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
barbaz

Re: Advice requested: stick with FF56 and NS5 for now, or...

Post by barbaz »

NoScript 10 is still in early stages. If you want stability, stick with NoScript Classic for now.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
frustratedalot

Post by frustratedalot »

You all know a time frame of ver 10 of noscript being up and going smoothly and hopefully operate like ver 5 for firefox later ver of 52?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

There is no known timeframe AFAIK. I believe it is anyway not technically possible until Firefox 58.
-
frustratedalot

Post by frustratedalot »

I am glad to use older firefox and noscript. I am not here to bust the programmer of noscript, been doing a great job and I bet it takes a beating on him to write all the codes and language. He probably needs a break from the computer to take a breather. :). I look fwd to it all working smoothly soon. I assume firefox will do ver 58 soon, hopefully it all just fits like glove.

I am trying to findlatest firefox 56 to dl, where can I find it?
frustratedalot

Post by frustratedalot »

I found a firefox 56.0.2 from filehippo dl it no problems, but went verify the ver with firefox open it immediately went to dl updates to install firefox 57, ugh! I had to go back to 52 again. There not a current 56 I can use that won't automatically convert to 57?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

1) It's safer to get Firefox 56 direct from Mozilla - https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0.2/

2) Make sure you have automatic Firefox updates disabled:
about:config
set both app.update.auto and app.update.enabled to false
Also make sure you don't have Mozilla Maintenance Service installed
-
henrylaw

Post by henrylaw »

bigtimensfan wrote:Looks like I'll be in for some significant NS pain if I upgrade to FF57 and NS10.
My users (other family members) are so fed up with this that I've had no choice but to disable noscript altogether. I'm really upset about it; I've used it for years (and sent money more than once) and it's a great utility, but this new change baffled my users so much that I could no longer stand the grief.

I will leave it a few weeks and try again. In the mean time my advice for any "normal" users--not computer people like most of us in this forum--is to disable any automatic updates in both firefox and in your operating system, and wait a while.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
frustratedalot

Post by frustratedalot »

I finally went back to noscript ver 5 and Firefox ver 56 disabled updating. I had forgot all about how to config Firefox, it's been awhile.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; ARM; FierceXL) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2743.116 Safari/537.36 Edge/15.15063
bigtimensfan

Post by bigtimensfan »

Thanks, all. I'll just keep hanging w/ FF56 ans NS5 and wait patiently.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
Ellen S.

Post by Ellen S. »

barbaz wrote:1) It's safer to get Firefox 56 direct from Mozilla - https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0.2/

2) Make sure you have automatic Firefox updates disabled:
about:config
set both app.update.auto and app.update.enabled to false
Also make sure you don't have Mozilla Maintenance Service installed
Thank you very much for posting this link.

Before I try to install it, I have seen others saying that users "have" to backup Firefox options before changing releases? Do any of you know where I can learn how to do that? Of if it is necessary to do so before changing from FF 57 to FF 56? I do not know much about backups, I have always just let FF update itself. I think I maybe knew how to do it once, long ago, but that was on a different version of FF.

Also, is NoScript Classic the version that had options written in English words? And do I need to backup the NoScript whitelist/blacklist before installing it, so my lists are not deleted? If so, how would I do that?

I do not understand very much about computers. I also don't know anything at all about the development history of NoScript, or of Firefox.
I am mostly computer illiterate and mostly only understand English words in their most literal meanings.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Ellen S. wrote:Before I try to install it, I have seen others saying that users "have" to backup Firefox options before changing releases? Do any of you know where I can learn how to do that? Of if it is necessary to do so before changing from FF 57 to FF 56?
It would be smart. Use the following procedure -

1) Completely quit Firefox

2) Copy C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox somewhere else. (Replace <you> with your Windows login/username)

And you're done, that's all there is to it.
Ellen S. wrote:Also, what should I then do to return to NoScript Classic?
You just install it from the link on https://noscript.net/getit. Don't know if you would need to remove the incompatible NoScript 10 first.
Ellen S. wrote: Is that the version that had options written in English?
If I understand your question correctly the answer is yes.
Ellen S. wrote:And how I would backup NoScript whitelist/blacklist before installing it, so my lists are not deleted?
This backup is part of the full profile backup. NoScript Classic whitelist is stored in prefs.js and it should still be there from when you last used NoScript Classic. So I don't think you would need to do this explicitly.
-
Ellen S.

Post by Ellen S. »

An immense sigh of relief, they installed and appear to be working.

Thank you so, so much for your help!
I am mostly computer illiterate and mostly only understand English words in their most literal meanings.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome! Image
-