[withdrawn] New FAQ entry needed?

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Post Reply
barbaz
Senior Member
Posts: 9434
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:45 pm

[withdrawn] New FAQ entry needed?

Post by barbaz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:37 pm

We've been getting a lot of reports about the Google XSS issue that was fixed in NoScript 5.0.9. Is this worth a FAQ entry along these lines? -
Q: Some Google-related services are broken by XSS warning from NoScript. How to get it working?

A: Please upgrade to NoScript 5.0.9 or later. If the problem persists, please let us know.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

User avatar
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 3343
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:19 am
Location: PST - USA
Contact:

Re: New FAQ entry needed?

Post by GµårÐïåñ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:47 pm

barbaz wrote:We've been getting a lot of reports about the Google XSS issue that was fixed in NoScript 5.0.9. Is this worth a FAQ entry along these lines? -
Q: Some Google-related services are broken by XSS warning from NoScript. How to get it working?

A: Please upgrade to NoScript 5.0.9 or later. If the problem persists, please let us know.
I don't think something so specific to an issue is appropriate because it implies it to be a fundamental problem than just a progressive issue that gets resolved. But that's me.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

barbaz
Senior Member
Posts: 9434
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: New FAQ entry needed?

Post by barbaz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:55 pm

GµårÐïåñ wrote:I don't think something so specific to an issue is appropriate because it implies it to be a fundamental problem than just a progressive issue that gets resolved. But that's me.
Perhaps I'm missing some context. Is this suggestion different in that way from certain existing entries like FAQ 3.18 and FAQ 3.19?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

User avatar
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 3343
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:19 am
Location: PST - USA
Contact:

Re: New FAQ entry needed?

Post by GµårÐïåñ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:02 pm

barbaz wrote:
GµårÐïåñ wrote:I don't think something so specific to an issue is appropriate because it implies it to be a fundamental problem than just a progressive issue that gets resolved. But that's me.
Perhaps I'm missing some context. Is this suggestion different in that way from certain existing entries like FAQ 3.18 and FAQ 3.19?
Yes, those are persistent problems with OUTSIDE websites/services that we cannot fix or control so people need to have the heads up when they encounter the problem. If there is a problem with the functionality of NS, that's under our control to fix.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

User avatar
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 3343
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:19 am
Location: PST - USA
Contact:

Re: New FAQ entry needed?

Post by GµårÐïåñ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:03 pm

The only viable inclusion that I can see, if not already there; is to warn them that when the legacy support is dropped by default, they should enable it until it is out of legacy, that's it, even that's pushing it, they can find it here already.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

barbaz
Senior Member
Posts: 9434
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: New FAQ entry needed?

Post by barbaz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:48 pm

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Yes, those are persistent problems with OUTSIDE websites/services that we cannot fix or control so people need to have the heads up when they encounter the problem.
Thanks.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

User avatar
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 3343
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:19 am
Location: PST - USA
Contact:

Re: New FAQ entry needed?

Post by GµårÐïåñ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:55 pm

barbaz wrote:Thanks.
Image anytime
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

Post Reply