allowing all on page

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
dmcdivitt

allowing all on page

Post by dmcdivitt »

I recently switched to FF from IE, really like it, and installed several FF add-ons. NoScript is really cool. However, I have difficulty making some pages work. Pages I haven't visited before, of course have scripts disabled. I will then click allow for the site. But the NoScript bar at the bottom says scripts are only partially enabled. The page may still not work. In the NoScript context menu there's an allow for several additional web domains referenced by the page I'm viewing, so one by one I temporarily allow each until I get the page to work. Sometimes the page may never work, so I end up trying the page in IE to see if it works. A few times there's been a server problem on the other end and the page won't work with IE either, but sometimes the page will work with IE.

This trial and error stuff is a severe nuisance and I'm tempted to just quit using NoScript. How do others handle this problem?

A context menu item to allow all domains referenced by the page may not be a good idea, since stuff like doubleclick and other ad companies would get enabled, too. Maybe having an "under no circumstances" list would be good. That way a context menu item could enable all for a page, but only those not in the prevent list would be enabled. Thanks
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
therube
Ambassador

Re: allowing all on page

Post by therube »

Trial & error. Over time you'll get a feel for what is needed & what is not.

(I believe) if you have certain sites set as Forbidden, such as your doubleclick, then ... not sure?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Re: allowing all on page

Post by Alan Baxter »

dmcdivitt wrote:This trial and error stuff is a severe nuisance and I'm tempted to just quit using NoScript. How do others handle this problem?
Many sites work well enough without even the top-level site Allowed, but for the ones that don't, I proceed in this order until I get sufficient functionality:
- Allow (or Temporarily Allow) the top-level site. This is all that's needed for most sites. Any scripts the site calls from other domains are usually advertisement or tracking scripts.
- Temporarily Allow other sites until I find one which is needed.

When I find out which helper site needs to be Allowed for the page to work, I permanently whitelist it. Keeps me from having to rediscover the necessary script each time. It doesn't take too long before most everything I need on all the sites I visit regularly are whitelisted. The FAQ has an entry listing some of the more commonly needed helper domains:
http://noscript.net/faq#qa3_3
A context menu item to allow all domains referenced by the page may not be a good idea, since stuff like doubleclick and other ad companies would get enabled, too. Maybe having an "under no circumstances" list would be good. That way a context menu item could enable all for a page, but only those not in the prevent list would be enabled. Thanks
Use the NoScript menu to mark those sites as Untrusted. (I think therube meant Untrusted instead of Forbidden.) They are then skipped by Temporarily Allow.
http://noscript.net/features#blacklist
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5