Youtube Ads

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Dingdong

Youtube Ads

Post by Dingdong »

Hello!

I have used NoScript for years. I usually use it to block certain scripts on youtube which makes youtube ads not play. But today they started showing up again.

I have the following unblocked on youtube (in order for the videos to work):

youtube.com

ytimg.com

googlevideo.com

I tried blocking them one after one and they are all needed for the videos to work. What am I missing?

What do I have to block in order for the videos to work but not the ads?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
barbaz

Re: Youtube Ads

Post by barbaz »

Dingdong wrote:What do I have to block in order for the videos to work but not the ads?
There's no way for me to answer this without sounding like a smart-ass, so I'm just going to say it. What you have to block are, er, the ads.

You've correctly figured out the minimal NoScript permissions for Youtube, but NoScript is not an adblocker, you'll need to install an adblocking add-on in order to achieve what you want. Some discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22001
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

barbaz wrote:
Dingdong wrote:What do I have to block in order for the videos to work but not the ads?
There's no way for me to answer this without sounding like a smart-ass, so I'm just going to say it. What you have to block are, er, the ads.

You've correctly figured out the minimal NoScript permissions for Youtube, but NoScript is not an adblocker, you'll need to install an adblocking add-on in order to achieve what you want. Some discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22001

Did you read the part where I said NoScript has succesfully blocked the youtube ads for me, for years?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

NoScript is a security tool, any ad-blocking it would happen to do is purely a side-effect of its security measures. This is always how it's been and it hasn't changed. OTOH, Youtube might have changed: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22100
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
OneEyedLeftist

Post by OneEyedLeftist »

It's not going to work now. Google has changed it so their ad server and videos are stored on the same domain. If you block the ads, you block the videos too.

This only seems to apply to the ads that appear before the video, though, not any of the ad breaks put in during the videos (yet).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

OneEyedLeftist wrote:If you block the ads, you block the videos too.
A dedicated adblocking extension, which NoScript is not, will be able to block the specific URLs where ads are located.

NoScript only cares about whether you trust Google not to attack your PC. It doesn't care about ads. There are plenty of adblocking extensions you can use.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0