[UNRELATED] noscript annimation

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
wingding

[UNRELATED] noscript annimation

Post by wingding »

I installed NoScript because it disables animations. However, No Script replaces advertisements and animations with its own animation, the rotating vector animation. How do I disable the NoScript rotating vector animation. I find this animation to be extremely distracting.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Re: noscript annimation

Post by dhouwn »

Could you please make a screenshot of this "rotating vector animation"?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20120819 Firefox/16.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

NoScript does not do any such thing, period. The only possibility is that you have the placeholder option set and its showing you its icon to give you a chance to click it to get temporarily allowed. You can get rid of that by simply going to NoScript Options|Embeddings Tab|Show placeholder icon and uncheck that and also to be more thorough, check the option below it No placeholder for objects coming from sites marked as untrusted and per taste, you can click on the Collapse blocked objects to even further remove any traces but that might change the layout of the page.

That all being said, would love to see this magical animated NoScript vector graphics, so a screenshot would be nice so we have a good laugh.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
wingding

Post by wingding »

I have succeeded in getting a .jpg capture of the NoScript rotating vector animation. As a matter of fact, the capture contains 2 rotating vector animations, although they are stationary and not rotating in the .jpg capture. I will gladly provide this .jpg screen shot if I can figure out how to do so. So far I have found the following: 1) I cannot include the .jpg file as a [img] because for this to work it needs to be at a publicly available website, whereas it is currently on my hard drive. 2) I cannot include it as an attachment because I find no option on this page to do so. And, 3) I have not been able to register as a user, apparently because an administrator has decided to reject my @gmail.com email address.

Also, I appreciate your efforts and suggestions to help me, regardless of whatever belittling comments you feel you must make. Thus far, I have tried all suggestions you have provided in the above reply and have found none of them to work. If I can find any solution to this problem, I will gladly let you know. As another piece of information, these NoScript rotating vector animations show up on the www.cnn.com website when I have NoScript enabled.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

What is blocked in that case is turner.com.
The "spinner" is just an icon that would display temporarily until the content loads.
Since the content is being blocked, the spinner happens to display all the time.
(ESC to make it stop, it just an animated GIF.)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/3.0/global/misc/loading.gif

It's not really anything that NoScript is doing per se.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:16.0) Gecko/20120824 Firefox/16.0 SeaMonkey/2.13a2
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

wingding wrote:I have succeeded in getting a .jpg capture of the NoScript rotating vector animation. As a matter of fact, the capture contains 2 rotating vector animations, although they are stationary and not rotating in the .jpg capture. I will gladly provide this .jpg screen shot if I can figure out how to do so. So far I have found the following: 1) I cannot include the .jpg file as a [img] because for this to work it needs to be at a publicly available website, whereas it is currently on my hard drive. 2) I cannot include it as an attachment because I find no option on this page to do so. And, 3) I have not been able to register as a user, apparently because an administrator has decided to reject my @gmail.com email address.
  1. You can upload it to any of the free image hosting services and then use the HTTP link for it to post here.
  2. We don't block anyone from signing up and so unless you are not putting in a valid email or passing the captcha, you are doing something wrong, anyone can register.
Also, I appreciate your efforts and suggestions to help me, regardless of whatever belittling comments you feel you must make. Thus far, I have tried all suggestions you have provided in the above reply and have found none of them to work. If I can find any solution to this problem, I will gladly let you know. As another piece of information, these NoScript rotating vector animations show up on the www.cnn.com website when I have NoScript enabled.
Its not belittling its a statement of fact that NS doesn't do anything like this and has NEVER done it in all the years in service, so when you claim something impossible, you get a response accordingly. That's why we said, show us the proof. I also checked the cnn link you provided and no such thing or magical NS vector animations either. If you are talking about that spinning animation, that's not NoScript, that's the site.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

therube wrote:It's not really anything that NoScript is doing per se.
There is no per se about it, it is NOT a NoScript element, period.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Okay, maybe we can finally make some progress here. So, while these annoying spinners (formerly known as rotating vector animations) are brought on by my use of NoScript, they are in fact due to the web site and are not a NoScript element. To me that sounds like very good news because NoScript is so effective at blocking annoyances from web sites. Can you please tell me how to configure NoScript to block these annoying spinners?
mjh563

Post by mjh563 »

I'm not sure if you can block them using NoScript, as it's not really designed to block specific page content. But there may be a way that I don't know about.

You could do it using Adblock Plus if you have that installed, by adding this custom filter rule:

||i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/3.0/global/misc/loading.gif$domain=cnn.com

If you don't know how to do that, I would suggest asking for further advice on ABP's support forum:

https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Hope that helps. :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0

Post by Guest »

@ wingding.
go to ns options-advanced-abe,& type:
# CNN
Site http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/im ... oading.gif
Deny

NOTE:THIS WILL NOT WORK ON "BACKGROUND IMAGES."(ff problem,& has nothing to do with ns.)
ns was not meant to be used this way!so,don't bother asking Giorgio.
he is not going to waste his time coding this. :(
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

wingding wrote:Okay, maybe we can finally make some progress here. So, while these annoying spinners (formerly known as rotating vector animations) are brought on by my use of NoScript, they are in fact due to the web site and are not a NoScript element. To me that sounds like very good news because NoScript is so effective at blocking annoyances from web sites. Can you please tell me how to configure NoScript to block these annoying spinners?
NS is not an image blocker. In addition these things exist in nearly infinite incarnations on tons of sites, you won't be able to do a catch all for all of them. If it bugs you that much and you don't mind losing animation capability, then just set the option in about:config to disable animation and in the future they will just sit there.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

mjh563 wrote:I'm not sure if you can block them using NoScript, as it's not really designed to block specific page content. But there may be a way that I don't know about.

You could do it using Adblock Plus if you have that installed, by adding this custom filter rule:

||i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/3.0/global/misc/loading.gif$domain=cnn.com

If you don't know how to do that, I would suggest asking for further advice on ABP's support forum:

https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Hope that helps. :)
As said in my previous post, unless you individually block each one you see everywhere which can become a very bad idea, performance wise, there is no catch all way to do it but ABP is a good way to do it as you see it, if you want but keep in mind, they are never named the same, and different domains use them and so you will end up with a very long ass list which will impact your performance.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Guest wrote:@ wingding.
go to ns options-advanced-abe,& type:
# CNN
Site http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/im ... oading.gif
Deny

NOTE:THIS WILL NOT WORK ON "BACKGROUND IMAGES."(ff problem,& has nothing to do with ns.)
ns was not meant to be used this way!so,don't bother asking Giorgio.
he is not going to waste his time coding this. :(
Although you can do this, it is not a recommended way to use ABE and poor or incorrect coding of your rules can have other side effects and we can't help you write a rule each time you want to block something.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Based on the information provided in the above replies, I was able to do a web search and implemented the very effective solution to my spinner problem which is provided by the following web site:http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Animated-Im ... -a-Browser . Thank you all for your positive efforts of help. The "fix" provided by this web site works very effectively for me and I consider my spinner problem solved.