installing noscript through linux terminal window

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
merlinregis

installing noscript through linux terminal window

Post by merlinregis »

Hi there,

I just installed noscript for FF on a server via remote a desktop. Everything went fine. But... since I ALSO want to use seamonkey, I wanted to install it for that app. also. I know that I have restricted permissions on that server, and jump to the conclusion that it's not because everything went well for FF that I have the same permissions to install XPI's for seamonkey, since FF was PRE installed, but seamonkey installed by me. I "DO" have rights though, through the terminal as a superuser.

What would be the sudo command for me to be able to install it through the root terminal?

Thanks in advance

merlinregis

P.S.:Suggestion : Would be nice to be able to download noscript just once for all the apps that could use it... Good example I just gave you here, need to install it twice to be able to have on both browsers.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 SeaMonkey/1.1.12 (Ubuntu-1.1.12+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1)
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Re: installing noscript through linux terminal window

Post by Alan Baxter »

merlinregis wrote:P.S.:Suggestion : Would be nice to be able to download noscript just once for all the apps that could use it... Good example I just gave you here, need to install it twice to be able to have on both browsers.
On the NoScript get it page, right-click "direct download link for NoScript 1.9.1.2", Save LInk As... will download the installation file, noscript-1.9.1.2.xpi. Then all you need to do is drag the xpi file onto the Firefox main window, and drop it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
merlinregis

Post by merlinregis »

Alan Baxter wrote: On the NoScript get it page, right-click "direct download link for NoScript 1.9.1.2", Save LInk As... will download the installation file, noscript-1.9.1.2.xpi. Then all you need to do is drag the xpi file onto the Firefox main window, and drop it.
I think you may have read my post too fast alan, Read AGAIN please.

And then, I realize that you're talking about one download... yes... but not just one installation... my "ps" part was to be able to install noscript ONLY ONCE per computer for all the apps that could use. Because downloading it to your computer, you're just as well off to get it again from the web since it's update very regularly and your downloaded version will quite probably be already outdated.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 SeaMonkey/1.1.12 (Ubuntu-1.1.12+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1)
merlinregis

Post by merlinregis »

Finally you can disregard this post.., since by searching everywhere, I finally found a place in the FAQ that says that version 2 and up don't need to be root to install extensions. It's still alpha for now, but I find it better than not having it functional. ;)

But you can still keep in mind that it WOULD be a good idea to have to install only once noscript for all the apps in one computer that could use it. But if you do so, it would be good to offer the user to have individual white and blacklists or only one.

Thanks alan for the try, ;)

merlinregis
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1b3pre) Gecko/20090223 SeaMonkey/2.0a3
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

merlinregis wrote:Thanks alan for the try
You're welcome. Thanks for saying so.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

While FF may almost be up to par with SeaMonkey ;-) & while FF is an offshoot of Mozilla Suite (now SeaMonkey) & while they are both Gecko & while many things are alike, in respect to their installs, settings, workings, & extensions, they are totally separate from one another, so there would be no one "universal" install.

Even for different versions of FF, FF2 & FF3, you would need to install NoScript (or any extension for that matter) individually into each browser.

And then when logging in under multiple users, you once again run into the same situation.

(Except possibly for extensions which are installed globally - into the browser install directory rather then into a user's Profile directory.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090303 SeaMonkey/1.1.15