why doesn't "temporarily allow" do that?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
soi

why doesn't "temporarily allow" do that?

Post by soi »

I have a minimal whitelist, so when I go to a new site I rarely visit, and it contains lots of "rich content," noscript will block it (as I would like it to)

on the occasions I decide to "temporarily allow all this page" so I can view this content, nothing changes, I can't see the content. but when I view the URL in Chrome or IE, all the content is available

even to post on this forum, I could not see the CAPTCHA after I "temporarily allow all this page," so I had to use Chrome to see it and post here

this is the norm, not the exception. why doesn't "temporarily allow all this page" release everything (that is, "turn noscript off temporarily") as one might expect?

or am I missing something here?

thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/13.0.782.112 Safari/535.1
therube
Ambassador

Re: why doesn't "temporarily allow" do that?

Post by therube »

Temporarily Allow All will allow all the domains at the time that you invoked TAA.

Once invoked, other domains may load, become visible, which were not there before. So you may need to TAA again. (And possible the same could happen yet again...)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0) Gecko/20110923 Firefox/7.0 SeaMonkey/2.4

Post by Guest »

[quote="therube"]Temporarily Allow All will allow all the domains at the time that you invoked TAA.
quote]

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think I follow.

My understanding is that selecting "temporarily allow all this page" effectively turns Noscript off for that page, effective the next reload, such that the page should now appear as though Noscript isn't even installed.

Yet it rarely works that way, while the page renders fine in Chrome and IE.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2)
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

If a request from a certain domain is only ever made from a particular script that happens to be blocked, NoScript will not know that that domain had a script on the page; then when you "temporarily allow" that first script, NoScript will see that a request from that domain was made, and instead of potentially introducing a security problem by auto-allowing that script too even though you may never have heard of the domain before, it will ask you whether you trust that domain too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/14.0.835.186 Safari/535.1
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> "temporarily allow all this page" effectively turns Noscript off for that page

No, it only (temporarily) allows those domains seen at the time you invoke TAA.
In the same way, domains introduced after the TAA are still not allowed, until you invoke TAA again (& possibly again & again ...).

There is no way of knowing ahead of time "what's coming next" to allow them "all" by using TAA.

There is no "Allow Scripts Globally - on this page only".

The closest you can get is to "Allow Scripts Globally (dangerous)", reload the page in question, do what you have to do, then disable "Allow Scripts Globally" so that other pages are likewise not affected.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20110928 SeaMonkey/2.4.1
soi

Post by soi »

therube wrote:
There is no way of knowing ahead of time "what's coming next" to allow them "all" by using TAA.
OK, I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that between the time that I initially load a page, and the time that I TAA for that page, that when the page then reloads "new" scripts will be loaded that will still be blocked because they were not seen 5 seconds ago, causing the page to not render properly? I find the likelihood of that to be small, at least on a regular, consistent basis. Not impossible, just very unlikely.
therube wrote:
The closest you can get is to "Allow Scripts Globally (dangerous)", reload the page in question, do what you have to do, then disable "Allow Scripts Globally" so that other pages are likewise not affected.
Yeah, I guess so, thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.259.0 Safari/532.5
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> "new" scripts will be loaded that will still be blocked because they were not seen 5 seconds ago

The possibility exists.

> causing the page to not render properly?

The possibility exists.

Using a default whitelist...

Goto http://www.msn.com/
msn.com is allowed (by default)
s-msn.com (at the least) is not allowed
TAA
msn.com & s-msn.com are now both allowed
bing.com, which did not exist (5 seconds ago), is now visible, but not allowed
TAA
at that point, all domains seen; msn.com & s-msn.com & bing.com are all allowed

(I happen to have Adblock Plus too, which filters out some "ad" sites, so I don't see them - like say, questionmarket.com & likely others.)

Now are s-msn.com or bing.com necessarily needed? Perhaps, perhaps not. Would I necessarily allow them - no. If I noticed something not working, I would explore why & if I found it was one of those two domains, then I may temporarily allow to get whatever feature it was to work.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20110928 Firefox/7.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.4.1
soi

Post by soi »

Here is a sample page:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-0 ... sales.html

I have Allowed Scripts Globally, disabled Adblock Plus, whitelisted Bloomberg.com in Ghostery and enabled persistent cookies, and yet the content of this article is pushed way down the page, so that I have to scroll way down to read it.

By contrast, it renders fine in Chrome and IE.

I'm baffled.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.259.0 Safari/532.5
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Your problem may be caused by one of the sites you have marked as Untrusted. Those are not enabled even when scripts are globally allowed. That page renders fine for me with NoScript's default settings if I Allow Scripts Globally. That's with no other extensions installed.
NoScript 2.1.4rc2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1

Post by Guest »

>Your problem may be caused by one of the sites you have marked as Untrusted.

Thanks, but Bloomberg.com is not marked as untrusted.

BTW, in addition to the steps I took in my previous post, I also reset NS to its defaults.

I'm figuring it's gotta be some other extension causing this, and ABP is the most likely culprit, but I disabled it and the problem still persists. Ghostery maybe, but I whitelisted Bloomberg.com there.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/13.0.782.112 Safari/535.1