[SOLVED] Please help! Flash is spreading in NS!

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
emarkay

[SOLVED] Please help! Flash is spreading in NS!

Post by emarkay »

I have tried the General part of the forum, and got no specific answers. More people post on this section so I am trying again to get a solution. I have NS 2.1.2.6, FF3.6.21, running Ubuntu Lucid Linux.

Within the past month I have been seeing Flash adverts on sites where they used to be blocked.
First, the obvious of telling FF to block the images from the hosts of these ads does NOT block the Flash.

NS used to block Flash. Either it has changed and is now failing, or the Web has changed and NS is still failing.
I hate Flash, it is distracting and unwanted - except - for a few places that absolutely need it to log in or if you want to see a specific item of content.

Of course I could just add FlashBlock, but I Mozilla says that that is not a good idea!
"FlashBlock - NoScript blocks JavaScript, which is required by FlashBlock - Do not use both FlashBlock and NoScript together":
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

The NS FAQ:
http://noscript.net/faq#qa1_3
implies that NS can do this, but not one can not separate what applicantion are blocked on both blacklist and whitelist pages. Blocking all for the blacklist pages and then adding " Apply these selections for whitelisted sites too" just does the same now for both - effectively meaning NO difference on blocking whitelisted OR blacklisted pages from those apps - it's ALL or Nothing.

A published workaround is stated here:
https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/r21 ... flashblock
to create a whitelist for where you want Flash, but again, NS does not separate Flash - you get Flash AND Java AND Silverlight AND more blocked along with Flash if you "Apply these selections for whitelisted site..."

Somebody help me on this, please. Surely other users have noticed some new unwanted wiggles in the periphery.
There's got to be a way to block ALL flash EXCEPT what I temporarily allow, and nothing else, while using the excellent program NoScript.

Thank you.
Last edited by emarkay on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 2.8 G/2G RAM/ATI HD2600,512VRAM/SIS AC97 OB Audio (2) 2.9 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel HD Audio
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.21) Gecko/20110830 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.21
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Re: Please help! Flash is spreading in NS! My FF is almost I

Post by dhouwn »

emarkay wrote:http://noscript.net/faq#qa1_3
implies that NS can do this, but not one can not separate what applicantion are blocked on both blacklist and whitelist pages. Blocking all for the blacklist pages and then adding " Apply these selections for whitelisted sites too" just does the same now for both - effectively meaning NO difference on blocking whitelisted OR blacklisted pages from those apps - it's ALL or Nothing.
I don't quite get what you mean or what your issue is with "Apply these selections for whitelisted site...". Is it because you want other plugins/IFrames/or whatever you checked there on whitelisted sites? If it is because of other plugins, then there might be a solution for it involving noscript.allowedMimeRegExp.

I personally am an happy "Apply these selections for whitelisted site..." user with blocking all embeddings (plugins, iframes, …) except for custom fonts per default on all sites and it seems to work as excepted everywhere.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0
emarkay

Post by emarkay »

"I don't quite get what you mean..."

OK, maybe i am confusing things. Can you assist in accomplishing this:

I want Flash blocked on all White AND Black sites.
I want to be able to enable Flash on Black and White, once, per URL, per browser session.
I want ALL OTHER scripts blocked on Black sites.
I want NO scripts blocked on White sites.
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 2.8 G/2G RAM/ATI HD2600,512VRAM/SIS AC97 OB Audio (2) 2.9 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel HD Audio
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.21) Gecko/20110830 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.21
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

emarkay wrote:I want NO scripts blocked on White sites.
That won't happen if you check "Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too", it will just block all the things you checked above on the same setting page.
emarkay

Post by emarkay »

dhouwn wrote:
emarkay wrote:I want NO scripts blocked on White sites.
That won't happen if you check "Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too", it will just block all the things you checked above on the same setting page.
Why is this so confusing?
You are saying that the blocking of NO scripts WON'T happen, if I check the Whitelist box; in other words, that the blocking of [YES] scripts WILL happen.
That is ecxactly what I am saying!

A site is Whitelisted because you DO NOT want anything blocked, correct?
A site is Blacklisted because you DO want something blocked, correct?
If I am blocking something on a Blacklist page, and select NS also to block the Whitelist pages, then BOTH the Blacklist and Whitelist pages have things blocked, correct?
Therefore there is no distinction between Whitelisting and Blacklisting anymore, correct?

So again, using No Script, how would you block the ONLY the Flash object at the upper right on this page and nothing else:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/al-j ... 3QD;_ylv=3
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.22) Gecko/20110905 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.22
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

emarkay wrote:You are saying that the blocking of NO scripts WON'T happen, if I check the Whitelist box; in other words, that the blocking of [YES] scripts WILL happen.
No natural languages ain't good for no multiple negations. ;-)
A site is Whitelisted because you DO NOT want anything blocked, correct?
I personally still want Plugins and Frames blocked, even on whitelisted sites. So in my case it's just whitelisted for executing JS.
If I am blocking something on a Blacklist page, and select NS also to block the Whitelist pages, then BOTH the Blacklist and Whitelist pages have things blocked, correct?
Therefore there is no distinction between Whitelisting and Blacklisting anymore, correct?
The blocking of Javascript is always a distinction. Even when you check that particular checkbox then Javascript on whitelistes sites is allowed, it's just the embeddings (plugins etc.) that will then be blocked in any case (disregarding noscript.allowedMimeRegExp).
So again, using No Script, how would you block the ONLY the Flash object at the upper right on this page and nothing else:
Only that particular Flash object or any Flash objects on white-listed sites? If latter, then go to the embeddings tab, check "Apply these restrictions …" and above it just the "Forbid Adobe Flash" checkbox. Refresh. Voilà!
emarkay

Post by emarkay »

"Only that particular Flash object or any Flash objects on white-listed sites? If latter, then go to the embeddings tab, check "Apply these restrictions …" and above it just the "Forbid Adobe Flash" checkbox. Refresh. Voilà!"

To finalize this, and with the above, then how can I block also EVERY script, etc. on the "evil" Blackislted sites during the same browser session?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.22) Gecko/20110905 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.22
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> how can I block also EVERY script, etc. on the "evil" Blackislted sites

All sites are evil.
NoScript blocks script on EVERY site unless the site is in the default whitelist or unless you've allowed the site.
This happens regardless of whether you have actually "blacklisted" (Marked as Untrusted) a site or not.

So in that respect, there is nothing you need to do.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:7.0) Gecko/20110910 Firefox/7.0 SeaMonkey/2.4
emarkay

Post by emarkay »

therube wrote:All sites are evil. NoScript blocks script on EVERY site unless the site is in the default whitelist or unless you've allowed the site.
This happens regardless of whether you have actually "blacklisted" (Marked as Untrusted) a site or not. So in that respect, there is nothing you need to do.
Actually the entire Internet, no, wait, the entire Human Species are evil - even Mr. Kinevel.
But I disagree that there are blocked scripts by default, for then I wouldn't have the problem I reported originally - there'd be no Flash, no where no how...

Fuggedaboudit - I installed Flashblock and all is well - I know the fault tree there and can accept it.

Klaatu Barada Nikto!