Where is the partial icon?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
nagan

Where is the partial icon?

Post by nagan »

The latest NS seems to inform on this ,I tried it at the NS update site itself.I forbid NS and allowed one of the 3rd party scripts ,refreshed. I am not getting the partial icon?

1.All the scripts allowed......Full blue S
2.If the page scripts are allowed and any 3rd party blocked......S with a small red circle.
3.Page scripts disallowed but any 3 rd party script allowed......????
4.Page scripts disallowed but any objects allowed......????
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
You are GOD.Realize THAT!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Where is the partial icon?

Post by Giorgio Maone »

The "traditional" partial icon Image now is shown only if some scripts can actually run, opposite to 3rd party scripts being allowed but still blocked because their hosting document is not whitelisted.
In other words, you're very unlikely to see the partial icon anymore unless you allow the top level. There's also a new icon Image indicating that, even if the top-level is blocked, some frame or plugin subcontent is running. You can see this happening on the shiretoko homepage if you keep mozilla.org blocked but you allow recaptcha.net.
The NoScript features icons legend has been updated to reflect these changes.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Giorgio this was an interesting clarification but how come before x7 and after x91 this is no longer an issue? Am I just missing that distinction because of the way I have my setup? I did notice the new icon and I know I asked you about updating the FAQ but otherwise nothing special came of it until the whole status icon mixup which got cleared up already, thank you by the way.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 AdblockPlus/1.0.1 NoScript/1.9.1.91 RequestPolicy/0.5.4 FirePHP/0.2.4
nagan

Post by nagan »

Giorgio Maone wrote:The "traditional" partial icon Image now is shown only if some scripts can actually run, opposite to 3rd party scripts being allowed but still blocked because their hosting document is not whitelisted.
In other words, you're very unlikely to see the partial icon anymore unless you allow the top level. There's also a new icon Image indicating that, even if the top-level is blocked, some frame or plugin subcontent is running. You can see this happening on the shiretoko homepage if you keep mozilla.org blocked but you allow recaptcha.net.
The NoScript features icons legend has been updated to reflect these changes.
Something is wrong here .It does not seem to work here.I disallowed Noscript .net and allowed doclix.com.Logically I have to get the partial bluecross icon? :roll:
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Nothing's wrong. Since you blocked the top level site, noscript.net, doclix.com won't be allowed to run scripts. No scripts are allowed to run unless the top level site is allowed. That's why you see the Forbidden Icon Image
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009040821 Firefox/3.0.9
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I am inclined to agree with Alan here, I have noscript.net allowed but doclix.com, buysellads.com and googlesyndication.com untrusted and I have Image seems to be working right.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 AdblockPlus/1.0.1 NoScript/1.9.1.91 RequestPolicy/0.5.4 FirePHP/0.2.4
nagan

Post by nagan »

Alan Baxter wrote:Nothing's wrong. Since you blocked the top level site, noscript.net, doclix.com won't be allowed to run scripts. No scripts are allowed to run unless the top level site is allowed. That's why you see the Forbidden Icon Image
Perhaps your literal language seems to contradict this.

I do not know once again if I am getting the concepts right.By the logic ,it would seem better if the context menu has the word "DEPENDENT" attached to the sites ,indicating their connection to the top level site.
For example Youtube is on my permanent whitelist. I go to a site xyz.com has got links to a few youtube videos ,click on the placeholder and nothing happens.Then I see the context ,it is listed youtube is dependent on the top domain. :o

EDIT This site
Partially allow Indiaglitz.com and refresh.There is a partial red circle icon.FINE. Now click the context and let it display- do nothing.The site automatically refreshes ,the icon changes to full disallow.A small bug I get perhaps....
Last edited by GµårÐïåñ on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed url pointing to the reply instead of the actual post (/posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=1950#pr1896)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Not sure if I am misunderstanding you but I went to the site you listed. I ONLY saw indiaglitz.com and temporarily allowed it and the page refreshed and gave me a partial allowed Image and then I saw advertising.com and fastclick.com which I put on the untrusted and then it gave me the proper partially allowed Image ironically I noticed that while I was typing this, the page reloaded and tried to shove tribalfusion.com down my throat while the other two ad services disappeared, I put that on the untrusted as well and the icon went from Image back to Image so as demonstrated it is functioning properly and just fine, so not sure what issue you are having with it still.
nagan

Post by nagan »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Not sure if I am misunderstanding you but I went to the site you listed. I ONLY saw indiaglitz.com and temporarily allowed it and the page refreshed and gave me a partial allowed Image and then I saw advertising.com and fastclick.com which I put on the untrusted ....., so not sure what issue you are having with it still.
Thanks for taking the trouble.It worked (the bug) 5 times exactly ,before I posted it here.I did not have any untrusted sites perhaps that could be the reason.

Of all surprises the bug is not to be seen today?? Any NS update.. :o

But check this behavior at the same site.
1.Starts with a bluecross icon. About blank and Net error (why is it muted) is the reason.
2.Temp allow Indiaglitz.com.Refresh.
3.Temp allow Tribal Fusion .com.Refresh.
4.Forbid Indiaglitz.com Refresh.
5.Temp allow Indiaglitz.com. Refresh.
6.The Forbid Tribal Fusion entry is missing.... :shock:
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

There is no new update for NS since the 1.9.1.91 version and as stated before the site does not always deliver the same ad servers, it seems to rotate them and when you allowed/forbid the sites back and forth and the reloads took place, chances are you reached a point where it didn't serve the tribalfusion.com again and since you allowed it already, you will need to go to Options and remove it from your whitelist or simply select revoke temporary permissions to get it off the whitelist. As for neterror being muted, that's part of the default/mandatory list of objects that are allowed by NS and if you absolutely feel the need to make them available, you can go to about:config and remove them from noscript.mandatory to make them available for choices to be made on them. Good luck.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

There's also a new icon Image indicating that, even if the top-level is blocked, some frame or plugin subcontent is running. You can see this happening on the shiretoko homepage if you keep mozilla.org blocked but you allow recaptcha.net.
I don't see that?
Mozilla.org blocked, recaptcha.net blocked, icon shows all blocked.
Allow recaptcha.net, icon still shows all blocked?

(In SM2, I don't see <notice> the icon changing when recaptcha.net is allowed/disallowed. In SM1, I do see the icon change - for an instant, to the broken blocked icon, but then reverts to show all blocked.)

I do see it in a third Profile, but not in my current SM2 nor SM1 profiles?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090410 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I'm using Fx 3.0.8 and I tried in 2 of my own profiles and 3 individual profiles on three machines used by my other developers and all seems fine. Not sure why you are getting that.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Did a Reset in SM1, main Profile.
Then reset these:

Code: Select all

noscript.autoReload.allTabs = false
noscript.contentBlocker		= true
noscript.fixURI.exclude		= (string) reg loc
noscript.forbidFlash		= false
noscript.secureCookies		= true
noscript.showAllowPage		= false
noscript.showTempToPerm		= false
noscript.tempGlobal         = true
Then also set, Forbid <I/FRAMES>, Apply to trusted sites too, & Opaque trusted.

Still not displaying correctly.

Did a Reset again, & then without reset any settings, it was working correctly.
Then I re-enabled my settings, one at a time, & now it continues to display correctly?

And now after checking, checking, checking, & all looks correct, I close the browser, reload the page, Allow recaptcha.net & the icon again displays incorrectly :| .

(I'll look further, but gotta eat now. Guessing something with the browser restart, probably in conjunction with some other setting?)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090410 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

OK, because of the IFRAME?

Reset
Load shiretoko
The captcha dialog does appear

Allow recaptcha.net
Things get screwy at that point (because of the page coding?), as the captcha dialog then disappears

Code: Select all

You are at this page because you loaded the JavaScript free version of reCAPTCHA, but it looks like you have JavaScript. We need to prevent this for security reasons. If you are testing out the JavaScript-free version, turn off JavaScript in your browser.
Forbid/Allow recaptcha.net <& repeat>, no dialog

Even so, the icon displays correctly

Now...

Forbid IFRAME

Restart browser
Load shiretoko
Placeholder shows

Allow recaptcha.net
Placeholder still shows
Forbid/Allow recaptcha.net <& repeat>
Placeholder still shows

During this time (with IFRAME blocked) icon shows Forbidden even though recaptcha.net is Allowed

I guess this is actually expected

Now...

Click the Placeholder
Forbid/Allow recaptcha.net <& repeat>

With each Forbid/Allow, the icon does now change to reflect current conditions

So...

With IFRAMES blocked an "Allowed" site still is not "allowed" till the placeholder is clicked, thereby facilitating the actual Allow. And with that the icon changes to reflect that status.

Is that it? Sure is confusing?
nagan

Post by nagan »

What about indicating which 3rd party scripts are dependent on the host domain?