[RESOLVED] NS Icon gone after update from Fx 3.x to Fx 4+

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
kevin553

[RESOLVED] NS Icon gone after update from Fx 3.x to Fx 4+

Post by kevin553 »

I just upgraded to firefox 4.
The NoScript Icon disappeared from the status bar.
I enabled the 'add ons bar' and then installed Status-4-Evar. Still no Icon.

My solution was to customise the toolbars. For some reason the NoScript Icon had transferred to the hidden Navigation toolbar. You can drag it down to the status bar and now continue as normal.
Last edited by GµårÐïåñ on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: modernize title
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript Icon disappears in Firefox 4

Post by Giorgio Maone »

kevin553 wrote:For some reason the NoScript Icon had transferred to the hidden Navigation toolbar.
The reason was that, once NoScript found the add-on bar was hidden, "decided" that the navigation bar was a more unlikely place to stay hidden and moved there.
If you had the add-on bar already displayed when you installed NoScript or updated to Firefox 4 (the latter would be unusual if not impossible) NoScript's icon would have staid there.
I'll probably add heuristic to stay on the add-on bar anyway if the navigation bar is hidden (how usual is this setup, though?), since re-enabling the add-ons bar seems to be a quite common knee-jerk reflex when looking for "missing" NoScript.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15
mike

Post by mike »

I had the same issue. The only way I was able to get it back was to reinstall the add on How do you customize your toolbars, sorry for the stupid question. For me the no script icon went from the lower right hand corner to gone, then after the add on re install, it now appears in the top left as part of the toolbar. ABP icon had no change for me in terms of visibility and location.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
HeartlandLiberal

Post by HeartlandLiberal »

Just a couple more data points:

I just upgraded to 4.0. The NoScript icon would appear as a pop up warning horizontal bar on bottom of FireFox window, if any URLs on a site were NOT blocked. But as soon as all permitted, it disappears. I found this series of comments, and checked the Navigation bar. The NoScript icon is already there by default, just to the right of back/forward arrows. I then found that by default the Add On bar is NOT displayed, so I selected to display. The Ghostery icon appeard then, at bottom of window, but there is nothing there about NoScript, it is still at top.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

HeartlandLiberal wrote: The Ghostery icon appeard then, at bottom of window, but there is nothing there about NoScript, it is still at top.
You can move it at the bottom, if you prefer so, by using the Customize command.
It went on the top to make it available for those who have the add-on bar hidden (the vast majority, by default).
Unfortunately until you've got legacy items in the status bar (they should go away, sooner or later, because it is deprecated) you can't move "new" toolbar icons on the far right of the add-on bar :(
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110319 Firefox/3.6.16
GJ

Post by GJ »

I have a similar problem, but dont think its been discussed yet. I moved the icon to the bottom add-on bar where it used to be in FF3, but when I work with sites that have force up a separate popup window, the noscript icon disappears from the addon bar. My weather icons and whatnot remain, but the ns icon disappears. Its still back in the main browser window, just not in the popup window. And sometimes the popup window requires a different site allowed to work. Temporary workaround is to have the show message about blocked scripts enabled, but I like to leave that disabled. An example would be, http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=6664, and click on the speaker icon for the audio popup window. Except this site uses the same allow for the link and the speaker popup window. Ones that use a different site in the popup have no way to access the icon and allow the site, other than possible a right click in the window and then take the ns selections.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

GJ wrote:I have a similar problem, but dont think its been discussed yet. I moved the icon to the bottom add-on bar where it used to be in FF3, but when I work with sites that have force up a separate popup window, the noscript icon disappears from the addon bar. My weather icons and whatnot remain, but the ns icon disappears.
Are your wheather icon moveable?
More in general, do other moveable icons like NoScript's remain or go away?
If they all go away, it looks like a Firefox 4 bug rather than a NoScript one.

Anyway, don't forget you've got a NoScript menu item in your context (right click) menu: that one is reachable on any page, no matter if they've got a status bar or not.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110319 Firefox/3.6.16
GJ

Post by GJ »

The weather icons are not moveable, so it seems the moveable ones disappear and are the problem. Some fixes I just found were to set browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to 0 and force the java popups to stay in the main browser window, not the popup window. To keep the popup windows in their own new window and have ns access in the add-on bar you can set the dom.disable_window_open_feature items to true to not allow the popup window to modify the menubar, tabs and portions of the addon bar and leave browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction at the default 2.
doublespiral

Post by doublespiral »

I have a subtly different problem. (Mac OS X 10.6.6 and FF 4).

I don't see the NoScript icons in the Navigation Toolbar, I see the NoScript text in the Add-Ons bar. As an example, on this page - http://noscript.net/getit - this text says:

Scripts Partially Allowed | <SCRIPT>: 15 | <OBJECT>: 0

This is true whether I have my customized settings (Control click in Tab bar and go to Customize....) set at Icons or Text.

What I'm really trying to do is get my old interface back from FF 3. I want the Back/Forward/Reload buttons to be icons and the Bookmark Bar to be text (without Icons) and NoScript to be an icon in the bottom right corner of the browser window.

I'm a completely rookie, but did manage to edit my userChrome.css file to get rid of the icons in my Bookmark Bar. Even when I disable that, however, the NoScript icons remain only text.

Any ideas?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

doublespiral wrote:Scripts Partially Allowed | <SCRIPT>: 15 | <OBJECT>: 0
Uncheck NoScript Options|Appearance|Status Bar Label.
NoScript to be an icon in the bottom right corner of the browser window.
You can't have it on the bottom right until you've got "old-style" status bar icons in your add-on bar.
However you can put it on the bottom (add-on bar) and as right as possible by using Customize and dragging it from the tool buttons palette.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I read all the above but I wasn't able to move the noscript program to the addon bar at the bottom right. I probably just don't understand how to do it.

I updated to FF 4 today. Noscript is now up top as the other posters wrote. But one poster said they customized the toolbar and it's back to where it was before FF 4.

I've never used customize toolbar before, so I tried to use it.. it shows 19 symbols and words.. there are 2 for noscript. One says temp allow.. the other says revoke temp permissions..

I dragged one of them down to the addon bar, and I noticed when I hovered on it, that it said revoke temp permissions. I clicked on it..and the icon faded and I closed FF, reopened, and the icon was still faded..but it's not the program anyway.. It was just called revoke temp permissions. (I didn't have anything temp enabled..it's the just the name under the icon in the customize toolbar setting.)

I'm just wanting to get the noscript icon/program back to the bottom right side as it was before. Is there a different way I should be trying to get the icon there? Or is there something in customize missing or how I'm doing it?

Thank you for your help.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Guest wrote:I've never used customize toolbar before, so I tried to use it.. it shows 19 symbols and words.. there are 2 for noscript.
Those 2 are the extra buttons, which can be optionally added for convenience sake.
The main button, as you said, is on the navigation bar and when you're in Customize mode you can just drag it from that toolbar and move it down in the add-on bar (or on any other toolbar, for the matter).

Post by Guest »

Thank you!
Zee

Post by Zee »

I got the NoScript icon back to the lower right corner, but after installing Firefox 4 the button functions differently. Before it opened the small menu where I could choose what I wanted to allow, but now in FF4 it just allows everything on the page when I click it. If I want to choose what to allow separately, i need to press the small down arrow that's next to it, which is actually quite annoying now that I'm used to pressing the button instead.

Is there a way to change the way that small button functions? I'd like to have it open the menu again...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Zee wrote:Is there a way to change the way that small button functions? I'd like to have it open the menu again...
The menu opens as soon as you hover the button (with no need to click it).
You can change this behavior from the NoScript Options|General panel.