NoScript and Firefox Sync

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
LargePrime

Re: NoScript and Firefox Sync

Post by LargePrime »

Can we add this to a bug tracker or issue tracker or something?
sabret00the wrote:It's been years and this still isn't fixed properly. I can only thank the fact that I had a computer that hadn't been connected at the time of syncing a new device as the new device nuked my setting on my main laptop.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
jawz101

Post by jawz101 »

anything I can find about FF Sync. Apologies if it muddies the discussion with irrelevant documentation:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Services/Sync/Addon_Sync
Why is Functionality Limited to Add-ons from addons.mozilla.org?
First, this is only the default behavior. The services.sync.addons.trustedSourceHostnames preference is a comma-delimited list to allow other trusted hostnames.
I went ahead and added informaction.com here but since NoScript is on the AMO site I don't know that it's necessary unless I'm downloading development builds from here. Looks like Mozilla pretty much says it may work or it may not.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... references
"The whitelist is determined as follows: for each services.sync.prefs.sync.<pref> preference that is set to true, Firefox Sync will sync the <pref> preference. For example, if your add-on had a pref called extension.frobnaz.foobar, to have it synced, create a bool preference called services.sync.prefs.sync.extension.frobnaz.foobar and set it to true. The most convenient place for this would be your add-on's default preferences, though if you want to give the user a choice to opt-in, you can also do it programmatically. See adding_preferences_to_an_extension."
... if you toggle noscript.sync.enabled to true it does creates a tone of additional config flags starting with services.sync.prefs.sync.noscript.* and they're all true so I dunno. It looks like it's supposed to work

I also glimpsed Adblock Plus' code here https://github.com/adblockplus/adblockp ... master/lib
namely the sync.js and synchronizer.js but that's about as far as I got.

or something in how Firefox uses sync in its own app
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... vices/sync

I dunno.
if it sync'd capability.policy.maonoscript.sites and noscript.untrusted I'd be happy since that's where all of the crap I whitelist and blacklist live. Could we just have these 2 dropped out to a flat file and use some cloud sync and say to heck with Firefox's syncing mechanism? In that 1st site they pretty much say that's one of the 3 suggested solutions- ie build your own sync engine.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
jawz101

Post by jawz101 »

hope this fixes it but here's what I came up with
in about:config make sure noscript.sync.enabled is set to true
it creates a bunch of additional prefs set to true for a bunch of entries starting with
services.sync.prefs.sync.noscript.xyz

create another boolean called
services.sync.prefs.sync.capability.policy.maonoscript.sites
and set it to true

noscript probably needs to be updated to account for all of its configs if it's going to work. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it'd be good to go :D
you can sync any config option if you create a new boolean services.sync.prefs.sync.[the config name] and set it to true

test by opening about:config on 2 computers set up to sync noscript with the above settings
on computer A: in Noscript options, whitelist add a site a.aaa or something
force a sync or wait a while
on computer B: in about:config search for that site you added and it should show up under capability.policy.maonoscripts.sites
if it doesn't, force a sync or wait a while. If you see it it's also under the whitelist on computer B's noscript options as well

another value I question is services.sync.prefs.sync.addons.ignoreUserEnabledChanges
Firefox source code mentions if set to true it only syncs installed addons but not their individual prefs. Mine's set to the default true but it worked regardless.
line 44
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... es-sync.js
44 // If true, add-on sync ignores changes to the user-enabled flag. This
45 // allows people to have the same set of add-ons installed across all
46 // profiles while maintaining different enabled states.
47 pref("services.sync.addons.ignoreUserEnabledChanges", false);
49 // Comma-delimited list of hostnames to trust for add-on install.
50 pref("services.sync.addons.trustedSourceHostnames", "addons.mozilla.org");

This trustedSourceHostnames is where I think you'd have to add informaction.com if you wanted to sync dev builds

Searching the thread someone else commented about this missing preference 4 years ago.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0
Sylwester

Post by Sylwester »

This is really annoying. I have numerous firefox instances (about 15-20) around with sync from long before i installed NoScript. Whenever I start one them it won't have noscript and it seems to remove all noscript whitelist from all my instances.

When it happenes I need to start totally from scratch and I'm very close to uninstalling NoScript since it will take me weeks before stuff works again.

It should have some way to safeguard against a cleaned out config.. It's not likely that someone justy wants every whitelisting to get removed so perhaps you can work around this?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0
jawz101

Post by jawz101 »

try setting or creating these 3 about:config entries

booleans set to true:
1) noscript.sync.enabled
2) services.sync.prefs.sync.capability.policy.maonoscript.sites

paste the following to the end of the value for
3) services.sync.addons.trustedSourceHostnames
,informaction.com

1) turns on sync for all of the noscript prefs
2) turns it on for the whitelist. for some reason #1 isn't catching this preference
3) whitelists synching of the noscript addon settings if you use dev builds.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0
m_c

Post by m_c »

Firefox Sync syncs the configuration but it is reseted to default if a new machine is added to firefox sync. There is no backup and Firefox does not allow to restore an old version. The only way to avoid this is to export the preferences and import it again after machine adding. :(
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
PackElend

Post by PackElend »

same here :evil:

Stefan
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
srebmar

Post by srebmar »

I recently added a new computer and turned on noscript sync and lost my settings. If this is a Firefox bug then I recommend Noscript tell us DO NOT USE FIREFOX SYNC to synchronize Noscript since it doesn't work with Noscript. If it a problem with NoScript then PLEASE FIX IT!!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

As far as I know, it's not a problem with NoScript.

If you read through this thread, I think it's clear that the overall advice is, don't use sync with NoScript.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
Strykerraven

Post by Strykerraven »

Doh I came here to request exactly this and came across this thread.
A little background: I have Firefox sync to numerous uses, For example I dual boot. Today I installed Arch Linux (long time coming and well worth it!!)
I always forget to backup my allows for NoScript and always get turned off by starting over. My own fault but if NoScript synced this it would be a life saver hence why I came and found this thread :X
I'll read through it but just wanted to share what brought me here today.

Thanks for a good addon!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
noscriptor

Sync issue

Post by noscriptor »

This topic has been discussed before at least here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6056&p=78215&hilit=sync#p78215
but I would like to ask again since it's been 2 years since then and to me this issue persists.

I followed these instructions from there:
try setting or creating these 3 about:config entries
booleans set to true:
1) noscript.sync.enabled
2) services.sync.prefs.sync.capability.policy.maonoscript.sites
paste the following to the end of the value for
3) services.sync.addons.trustedSourceHostnames
,informaction.com
but only after it was already too late (I was forced to make refresh) since I have already lost my whitelist.

To make every time a new whitelist for multiple computers is very annoying.

So, what's the current status of the sync issue? Is there a permanent solution for this?
If not, are there any plans to solve it?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.81 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Threads merged.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
larry@...

Post by larry@... »

OK ... so what happened in the new release of Nightly? No support for NoScript.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
godfuture

Post by godfuture »

Same for me. My whitelist is gone when adding fresh instances. Dont like it at all!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
PackElend

Post by PackElend »

same here
As I have to repair my profile occasionally (messed up with add-ons, cross-browser-sync) I lost a plenty of whitelists.
The very first was done back in 2011, any chance that it may get solved soon?

The only workaround might be XMarks extension as explained in this forum and on www.pskl.us but it not working in >FF54 :cry:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0