NoScript and Firefox Sync

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript and Firefox Sync

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Kalman wrote:Timeline: installed noscript, NO restart, set up sync, first sync, restart.
So you made the first sync while NoScript was NOT installed yet (installing NoScript still requires a browser restart, it will change after NSA merge later this year), and therefore imported everything from the cloud except NoScript's settings.

Then you restarted, so default NoScript settings were created which were the most recent across all your devices: on next automatic sync, these default settings overwrote the "older" ones on the other devices of yours. Mistery solved.

Bottom line: for everything go smoothly, you either need to have NoScript already installed (restart required) when you perform your first synchronization, or be prepared to do it manually.

Please let me know if I misinterpreted something in your timeline.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Gazer75

Post by Gazer75 »

Not sure if this is the same problem...

Every time FF sync I loose any whitelisted page on both computers that was added after enabling sync.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
defrag

Post by defrag »

Same issue as above, but I have only 1 computer with NoScript installed. On the second comp this add-on not installed.
Today I set up sync between that computers and all my NoScript settings on 1st comp goes away approx. every hour.
But I don't need using NoScript on 2nd comp
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Did you try turning the noscript.sync.enabled [url=http://kb..org/About:config]about:config[/url] preference to false?
defrag

Post by defrag »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Did you try turning the noscript.sync.enabled [url=http://kb..org/About:config]about:config[/url] preference to false?
Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
farfrom1337

Post by farfrom1337 »

hi there!
first of all, does Firefox Sync has an automatic sync-schedule??

but what i'd rather now is, what NoScripts-Configuration get synched? EVERYTHING (hopefully :)? Even the whitelist?

cheers
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

farfrom1337 wrote: first of all, does Firefox Sync has an automatic sync-schedule??
Yes it does.
farfrom1337 wrote: but what i'd rather now is, what NoScripts-Configuration get synched? EVERYTHING (hopefully :)? Even the whitelist?
Yes.
nebusoku

Post by nebusoku »

I have applied the config change for the moment but here is my setup.

Laptop windows XP Sp3 FF 4 with NS and Sync
Desktop 1 - Win 7 x64 SP1 FF4 with NS and Sync
Desktop 2 - Win XP Sp3 FF 4 with NS and Sync

The XP machines are not self wiping out NS but the Win7 machine is on the sync when I had the sync enabled
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
incu

Post by incu »

I seem to be having some problems with NoScript with FF Sync - it's been working like a charm up until recently.
My setup is like this:
Laptop: XP SP3, FF4 with NS and Sync
Desktop: XP SP3, FF4 with NS and Sync

I had to reinstall the laptop recently, and ever since, I've had issues with NS on both computers. It seems like every time FF Sync finishes, my NS settings are wiped, and I have to re-allow all safe sites again. Actually, it might be only sites that I have allowed manually on only the one of the computers. I might not have to re-allow sites I have manually allowed on both, but I haven't tested thoroughly.

I've set this in about:config: noscript.sync.enabled;false
I also have the "Backup NoScript configuration in a bookmark for easy syncrhonization" checked - on both computers.

What else can I do?
tz

Post by tz »

Same problem as above, leaving sync on will almost always remove almost any/all allows. They aren't syncing - they are just being removed even if the last thing I did was an allow.

I have three computers, a netbook, a desktop (alternately running linux or winxp) and a macbook pro. They are right next to each other, and I just redid my profile.

I found the about:config shutoff myself, but it seems strange not to have something like this on the options page, particularly when it doesn't really work, or not as I would expect.

I would have expected allowing ytimg.com (youtube static pics for the video), that it would then be pushed to the other computers. Even if allowed the same site on all three at once, it will eventually switch back to forbid on all three. Some seem to be a bit more sticky (after constantly allowing googlecode.com a dozen times it seems to be allowed everywhere) but it seems random and there is no way to push a sync. The problem might be that I visit something on computer B but not specifically enabling a script after doing an allow on computer A, I don't view all media on the page, so might in passing bring up a "forbid", but it shouldn't save it as an updated setting to override a sync since I'm not actually doing a setting. I've never manually forbid any of these.

If I manually allow a site on computer A, and never touch that site setting manually on B or C, why does it disappear on computer A?

How is sync supposed to work if not on a per site (manual override) setting basis?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110322 Fedora/3.6.16-1.fc14 Firefox/3.6.16
tz

Copying over the profile folder

Post by tz »

I would just add a few notes to the "copy the profile folder" shortcut.

Edit prefs.js - change the computer name for firefox sync computer name so that it is different, e.g. "MyWin1" to "MyWin2". I think firefox sync gets confused if it sees the same sync name from two out-of-sync computers. It will definitely show up if you try to do a reset sync.

Also in the same prefs.js you can do a global search for filesystem paths, /Users/me on a mac is /home/me on a linux, and C:\Documents and Settings\me on Windows, or sometimes other places if you change the defaults. If you use a lot of things, it is easier to do this localized than resetting everything manually as you trip over the errant paths - some don't give clear errors.

Some extensions contain architecture specific shared libraries (lastpass, firesheep) so you can't transfer those across win/mac/linux. You would need to uninstall/reinstall them. looking for DLLs on windows or .so on linux, (dylib? on mac) in the extension install folder should reveal these.

The FEBE extension will backup and copy almost everything from a profile in a convenient directory. If extensions have disappeared from their hosting sites, you can get an xpi. It will also do most of the prefs and js.

The Mozilla article doesn't mention all the files, e.g. if you override CAs (I have mine all shut off and use perspectives) you need to copy the certs8.db file across too.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110322 Fedora/3.6.16-1.fc14 Firefox/3.6.16
forfrom1337

Post by forfrom1337 »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
farfrom1337 wrote: but what i'd rather now is, what NoScripts-Configuration get synched? EVERYTHING (hopefully :)? Even the whitelist?
Yes.
I'm afraid it doesn't for me :oops: :?
I have set up the "Configuration-Sync" and my Firefox-Configurations gets synced as it should - but even after clicking on "Synchronize Now" in the firefox Menu, the NoScript-Configuration does not change at all :cry:
tz

Post by tz »

Even worse now - I have noscript.sync... FALSE and it just forgot that googlecode.com and googleusercontent.com were allowed in gmail.

Why does noscript keep deleting allow entries? Is there any way to completely reset or rebuild the database?
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

tz wrote:Even worse now - I have noscript.sync... FALSE and it just forgot that googlecode.com and googleusercontent.com were allowed in gmail.

Why does noscript keep deleting allow entries? Is there any way to completely reset or rebuild the database?
If you already restarted the browser after the change, please double check that no "services.sync.noscript." entry has been left in [url=http://kb..org/About:config]about:config[/url] (if there is any, use the "Reset" command on them).
The same for "services.sync.prefs.sync.capability.policy.maonoscript.sites".
mniles74

Post by mniles74 »

Needs a way to differentiate between browser instances that do NOT have NoScript installed. Example is that I do not have it on my work PC but I do on my laptop, and I sync prefs and bookmarks between them still. When I sync from work, it clears out my whitelist on the Sync server and then syncs an empty whitelist to my laptop. I have remedied by installing now on both work and laptop, but it should have been handled better.

Thanks for keeping up the work on this excellent product!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0