NoScript and Firefox Sync

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
sabret00the

Re: NoScript and Firefox Sync

Post by sabret00the »

Any news from the NoScript Team? Some form of communication?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:22.0) Gecko/20130329 Firefox/22.0
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

Any news?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

I haven't heard anything, no.

You're probably best off keeping track of Firefox Sync news (if any) from Mozilla.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

Thrawn wrote:I haven't heard anything, no.

You're probably best off keeping track of Firefox Sync news (if any) from Mozilla.
This is definitely a NoScript issue. ABP and Stylish manage to Sync properly, it's only NoScript that always attempts to overwrite rather than merge.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

How does ABP store its rules; as one entry in about:config, or many? NoScript uses just one for the whitelist, one for the temporary whitelist, and one for the blacklist.
======
Thrawn
------------

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> How does ABP store its rules

PROFILE\adblockplus\patterns.ini, similar to PROFILE\ABE\rules\.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.22a2
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

That would be the difference, then. Syncing preferences relies on the Mozilla implementation being correct, which apparently it is not.
======
Thrawn
------------

motomixon

Post by motomixon »

I guess this thread will go on forever......... :D

I have just started using FF sync, and am no noticing that Noscript flashed me the warning that all functionality of NS is being turned off. I always respond with Cancel.

Is this another conflict between sync and NS?

Can you offer guidelines on how to get them to work with each other?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
bobblinkyo

Post by bobblinkyo »

Just want to add my vote for getting this to work under Firefox.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0

Post by Guest »

I have two accounts on the same computer, one admin and one non-admin.

I wanted to sync all settings (bookmarks etc. including NoScript) from my admin account to my other one, so I set up FF Sync in both. After "uploading" the settings from the first (at least, that's what I think happened) I switched to the second to grab the settings from the first.

However, when I tried "syncing" there, I got some kind of message that my settings were being uploaded! In panic, I pulled the plug from my modem.

Can someone post step-by-step instructions for what I want to do? I don't need screenshots, I can follow text instructions. But please don't leave out any interim little step that seems obvious to you.

Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0
John99

Re: NoScript and Firefox Sync (New Version with Fx29)

Post by John99 »

Just thought I would mention the New Firefox 29 Releases today, and has a new version of Sync that is rather different from the old one.

I do not often post here, maybe it would be better to stare a new thread about the new Sync.
Official documentation from Mozilla Firefox How to Setup Sync (Firefox 29)
and How to Update to the new Firefox sync

Two points of information for anyone trying to update
  1. You may need to use allow all scripts globally
    I know I had to it was not sufficient merly to use allow all this page
  2. There are teething troubles and to go through the registration process for the new Sync.
    You may need to ensure Firefox is able to accept en_US language. This is a bug that has been discovered and is being fixed with Firefox Sync. You may not even encounter this as it is hoped to be fixed later Today.
I am hoping that the duplicated bookmarks, (mentioned upthread) etc issues have been solved with the new version, of Sync.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
jawz101

Post by jawz101 »

I just came here to say I've never had NoScript syncing actually work in the few years since it was a feature.

No offense but there's no documentation save for threads where the developer says "turn this off in Firefox's hidden obscure settings screen. No wait. Turn it on."

Yeah... that makes sense :| Has anyone actually got NoScript to sync between 2 computers? Ever? I've also simply tried having a Firefox general release and the beta/aurora/nightly on the same computer just to see if it will sync amongst them. Still a no go.

Unless someone shows me a video showing it working I don't believe it.

I suggest the developer remove the feature and rerelease it when it is proven to work. Also, just say you'll only "officially support" NoScript working in the most recent versions of Firefox if keeping track of old Firefox problems is a problem. That makes sense if you work under a premise that the latest version of the browser includes the most recent security fixes.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
John99

Post by John99 »

Firefox sync should work, and does work for me. Firefox sync should work for you, if not then please read on for how to get help.
jawz101 wrote:I just came here to say I've never had NoScript syncing actually work in the few years since it was a feature.

No offense but there's no documentation save for threads where the developer says "turn this off in Firefox's hidden obscure settings screen. No wait. Turn it on."

Yeah... that makes sense :| Has anyone actually got NoScript to sync between 2 computers? Ever? I've also simply tried having a Firefox general release and the beta/aurora/nightly on the same computer just to see if it will sync amongst them. Still a no go.

Unless someone shows me a video showing it working I don't believe it.

I suggest the developer remove the feature and rerelease it when it is proven to work. Also, just say you'll only "officially support" NoScript working in the most recent versions of Firefox if keeping track of old Firefox problems is a problem. That makes sense if you work under a premise that the latest version of the browser includes the most recent security fixes.
Firefox does document the Sync feature. I posted links to two of the artivclea in mypost above & I will repeat them again
Official documentation from Mozilla Firefox How to Setup Sync (Firefox 29)
and How to Update to the new Firefox sync

I do not know how many use Firefox Sync, I imagine if I had the spare time I could dig up sats indicating it is used by Millions of users.

I have had sync working in the past between devices. I have just had the New Sync working within a single computer.

If you or anyone else has a problem getting Fiefox Sync to work please use the Firefox support forum to obtain help. The standard link for commencing the support is this one: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new/desktop

If you happen to be posting a question in the near future first of all follow the prompts from that link and try to include the full troubleshooting information. After that if you also make a quick comment in this thread https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/996664 just to say you have asked your own question I will try to to make sure it is followed up. I admit Firefx Sync may have had reliability isssues and glitches but it should be working. If not we need to get bugs filed to get it fixed. If you post within the next day or so there are a lot of helpers like me, and even paid development staff looking at and fixing problms. This level of support is pretty rare on the Firefox support forum, and is because of the launch of Firefox 29 . So if you want help now is the time to ask.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
jawz101

Post by jawz101 »

I'm talking about NoScript backing up its prefs with Firefox Sync. Sync is working for everything else.

Computer A
-installed FFox
-installed NoScript, whitelisted some sites
-installed some other addons, changed some Firefox prefs (homepage, Do Not Track, etc.)
-restarted
-activated FFox sync
-restarted once sync completed

Computer B
-installed FFox on a 2nd computer
-installed NoScript
-restarted
-activated FFox sync
-restarted once sync completed

My Firefox settings and add-ons all installed/configured once I turned Firefox Sync on however NoScript configurations did not transfer from the first computer, nor did the whitelist/blacklisted sites.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

It's been years and this still isn't fixed properly. I can only thank the fact that I had a computer that hadn't been connected at the time of syncing a new device as the new device nuked my setting on my main laptop.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0