Sites not working

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
CM

Re: Sites not working

Post by CM »

This thread is marked RESOLVED, so your problems won't get efficient attention unless you open a new topic.

Before opening a new topic, to eliminate other causes of your problems,
Run the recommended Firefox troubleshooting routine as detailed here and return with your results if still looks like a NS problem:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Charley, regardless of when, where and what title it is posted under, we address every issue. Thank you for bumping it but the fact remains that the problems described have the same solutions offered repeatedly to others and already here, so you won't find anyone repeating it aimlessly unless its something new. It is up to the poster to actually read the already provided instructions to see if they work and if not then give us more details to try and help further.

Here is what I would recommend and everyone would agree, including you who already posted. Do standard diagnostics, use a clean profile with/without NS and give feedback on whether it worked or not. If it does then it was a corruption issue with the profile/extension, if not then its not an NS issue and although we can help figure it out there is not guarantee.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 FirePHP/0.2.4
carpintonto

Post by carpintonto »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Charley, regardless of when, where and what title it is posted under, we address every issue. Thank you for bumping it but the fact remains that the problems described have the same solutions offered repeatedly to others and already here, so you won't find anyone repeating it aimlessly unless its something new. It is up to the poster to actually read the already provided instructions to see if they work and if not then give us more details to try and help further.
I do make the effort to search a forum and related faqs, run diagnostics etc. I appended my last post regardless that the topic was flagged [Resolved] (because thread starter experienced a solution by updating) because the behavior I am experiencing is on topic, and I am as yet [Unresolved]

So many windows solutions may or may not work for linux users, and the last analysis may not be "is it or is it not a NS issue", but may rather be an interoperability issue, especially with asynchronous updates of NS, Adblocker-Plus, Firefox itself etc.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032608 Firefox/3.0.8
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@carpitonto:
I read your Mozilla Support report, and it does't necessarily sound as a NoScript-caused problem to me, more so since you talk about 3rd party images as well.
What if you're experiencing intermittent network related problems so the site hangs while waiting for 3rd party scripts?
Connections with multiple hosts happen concurrently, saturating the bandwith.
Then you forbid the 3rd party (interrupting the download).
When you reallow them, only the 3rd party are loaded (less network stress) and they come up succesfully.
This may be related either with your network settings, your firewall/router configuration, your ISP, a conflicting extension (try Standard Diagnostic) or even Firefox's network.* about:config preferences.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

carpintonto wrote: I do make the effort to search a forum and related faqs, run diagnostics etc. I appended my last post regardless that the topic was flagged [Resolved] (because thread starter experienced a solution by updating) because the behavior I am experiencing is on topic, and I am as yet [Unresolved]

So many windows solutions may or may not work for linux users, and the last analysis may not be "is it or is it not a NS issue", but may rather be an interoperability issue, especially with asynchronous updates of NS, Adblocker-Plus, Firefox itself etc.
The point being made was that we review and respond to ALL issues regardless of the title of the thread. You had my reply and a more detailed one by Giorgio which still requires the standard diagnostics, windows may differ with linux when it comes to interoperability but since most of us here, at least me, run at least 5 different operation systems including a health mix of linux and windows, what we say based on seeing your user agent string displayed, is "generally" directed towards your specific situation, regardless of what my useragent says at the time the post is made.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 AdblockPlus/1.0.1 NoScript/1.9.1.91 RequestPolicy/0.5.4 FirePHP/0.2.4
carpintonto

Post by carpintonto »

@ Giorgio and GµårÐïåñ

thanks to you both.
what makes this so weird is that it occurs only for some domains, not for all.

if I am the only one in the world experiencing this, then I am inclined to suspect my isp.
another thing that occurred to me is some incompatibility with a site's js library (like mootools or some such)

I am just putting it out there to see if anyone else has experienced such seemingly intermittent or capricious failure.

Further, I am not saying site loading failure is caused by NS. To the contrary, NS has been a useful tool to experiment and possibly get a sense of what is and is not happening to cause failure of some sites to load.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032608 Firefox/3.0.8
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You are welcome and it would be interesting to see if this is a more generalized issue or isolated to your ISP. No way to really know for sure and in the absence of actual evidence, we must err on the side of ISP as the culprit but in the meantime it could very well be an incompatibility exasperated by bad coding or just poor referencing, no way to know for sure.

Now a couple of things in an effort to try and continue supporting your issue further: 1) I am assuming you have done so already but have you updated to the most recent updated version of NoScript, 1.9.1.91? to see if this resolves any issues remaining? Perhaps in addition you can backup your whitelist using Export and Reset the options just to make sure, 2) Are the links you are accessing private or can you share them so we can dig around there a bit to see if we can uncover something specific?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 AdblockPlus/1.0.1 NoScript/1.9.1.91 RequestPolicy/0.5.4 FirePHP/0.2.4
carpintonto

Post by carpintonto »

ok!

you'll see from my useragent footer I have just updated, and will do a log of what sites work and don't, and post back tomorrow sometime with that.

thanks again

hmm .. useragent footer still reporting 1.9.0.8 but I just updated to 1.9.1.91
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

The 1.9.0.8 reporting in your useragent is referring to the browser, not NoScript. The inclusion of NS version detection was shot down after I recommended it, so we rely on the user to tell us which version they use. I have modified my own useragent to include it but that was a personal choice.

Please make a list and forward it either here or through PM and we'll take a look. If you report it here, more eyes can look at it, but if you feel its private, you can send them to me directly and I will take a look. Either way is fine and I will report back here on any finding. Good luck.
Charley M

Post by Charley M »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Charley, regardless of when, where and what title it is posted under, we address every issue. Thank you for bumping it
Understood. No criticism intended. Just trying to add to efficiency.

I'll ignore thread titles from now on - - ehh, they're all "this Fx with NS doesn't work" after all.

What a big job you are doing. kudos.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032711 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.8
carpintonto

Post by carpintonto »

This is some progress.

Now I am not sure if it was the update to 1.9.1.91 that did it, because I updated before resetting my whitelist.
I think I allowed my whitelist to get too big: byte count before reset 70756, after 1331.

I'll send along a short history of this morning's surf, where I hit the domains I mentioned in my support.mozilla.com post.

At this point, everything seems to be working as it should. I think I'll make greater use of the temporarily allow
option to see if I might avoid the whitelist bloat.

Thanks again.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Charley M wrote:Understood. No criticism intended. Just trying to add to efficiency.
I know you didn't and I was simply clearing it up, no harm.
I'll ignore thread titles from now on - - ehh, they're all "this Fx with NS doesn't work" after all.
Well, I can only speak for myself but I am very systematic, so I go through each and every post, even if I don't post a reply because I feel someone else might be more qualified to answer.
What a big job you are doing. kudos.
Thank you, appreciate that.
carpintonto wrote:This is some progress.

Now I am not sure if it was the update to 1.9.1.91 that did it, because I updated before resetting my whitelist.
I think I allowed my whitelist to get too big: byte count before reset 70756, after 1331.

I'll send along a short history of this morning's surf, where I hit the domains I mentioned in my support.mozilla.com post.

At this point, everything seems to be working as it should. I think I'll make greater use of the temporarily allow
option to see if I might avoid the whitelist bloat.

Thanks again.
You are welcome and I am glad that its working for you again. It might have been the reset cleared up something corrupted or the latest version fixed a tweak that did the trick. Either way try not to let your whitelist get so long that entries are obsolete but keep in mind that I have a very long one and I know other that do, that by itself tends to not be such a big issue. Its when it becomes corrupted for various reasons, updates, session-restores, and so on that it might become problematic. Usually exporting your list and then resetting and choosing your options again and importing your list back tends to fix most issues. All else fails, always keep an eye on the latest dev build and there is a link to it on top of the NoScript forum section, that often fixes reported problems that Giorgio fixes while waiting to make it an official release.

Good luck.