Evernote webclipper won't clip

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
barbaz

Re: Evernote webclipper won't clip

Post by barbaz »

Haven't used any recent version of Mac OS but IIRC it goes like this. First change the .xpi to .zip. You should then be able to extract the files using Archive Utility. If there is a META-INF folder, you'll need to delete it after making other changes - that is the addon's signature, which won't be valid anymore.

When recompressing, be careful to keep the original file structure, i.e. select all and compress to .zip, don't compress the folder it extracted to. Then rename the .zip to .xpi.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Evernote webclipper won't clip

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

vnavone wrote:Hi, thanks for the lengthy description. I'm happy to try things on my end, but unfortunately I'm going to need a bit more hand-holding. I haven't found any way to open the .xpi file on my Mac to extract the clipper.js file. A quick Google didn't reveal any clues, either. Any advice would be helpful.

Per your question, I do not, nor have I ever used Outlook on my Mac.
XPI is nothing more than a zip file, so if you can't do open with and use your default archive tool, then just copy it to your desktop and rename the file to zip and then open it that way, it will work just fine. I am not sure what Mac uses by default anymore but given it has been doing zip for over 2 decades, I suspect it will be there. I can provide you the modified clipper file source so you can modify it and repackage it and it will be fine. You can also preserve the original xpi somewhere so you can quickly do a rollback when we are done. I'll try to get that posted today, but I am juggling a few things, so bear with me.

Also, regarding packaging, what I do is use WinRAR, it is excellent in opening, and when you modify the file to automatically detect and repackage for you this is the most stable way to do it to avoid damaging the file structure, you can easily download a fully functional trial version here : http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm they have one for Mac OSX and go that route, if you like, that's my personal preferred way but the other way works too, you just have to be more careful and attentive to the process, that's all.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0