Installing NoScript in SeaMonkey 1.1.19 under Linux

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
DMcCunney

Installing NoScript in SeaMonkey 1.1.19 under Linux

Post by DMcCunney »

I have an old notebook with Ubuntu Linux 9.10 and Puppy Linux 4.31 installed in a multi-boot configuration. The usual browser is SeaMonkey 1.1.19. (Yes, I'm aware that SeaMonkey is up to 2.04. I have that, and Firefox 3.6 installed as well. SM 1.1 gets the nod because it actually works on limited hardware without growing old and gray waiting for things to happen. SM 2.04 and FF 3.6 are very slow to load and extremely sluggish once up.)

Ubuntu and Puppy are both installed on ext4 partitions, and each mounts the others partition when booted. SeaMonkey is actually installed from a static build on the Puppy partition in /opt/seamonkey_1.1.19.static and run from there. The profile it uses is in /home/dennis/.mozilla on the Ubuntu side when I'm working in Ubuntu. SeaMonkey works fine, as does everything save Noscript.

I've looked at the NoScript FAQ, but it doesn't resolve my issue.

NoScript attempts to install globally, which means it installs into the application directory, and that requires root privileges. Fine. I invoked SeaMoney and installed NoScript as root. The problem is, it's not available when I'm not running as root. Noscript.jar exists in the seamonkey directory, with permissions of read for root and no permissions for group or world. That's an oddity right there: I'd expect permissions of -rw-r--r--, instead of -r--------.

If I run SeaMonkey from a non-privileged account, extensions like Extension Uninstaller and Mnenhy indicate it exists, but the icon does not appear in the status bar, and there's no way to get to it and configure it.

If I change the permissions on the noscript.jar file to the -rw-r--r-- that I would expect it to have and rerun SeaMonkey, NoScript complains it was not correctly installed.

Essentially, Noscript only works if I'm running as root. It works fine in Puppy Linux, because Puppy is explicitly single user and you always run as root. I prefer not to run as root in Ubuntu, but can't get Noscript to function correctly if I don't.

The Greasemonkey extension also installs globally to the application directory, but it works fine run from a non-privileged account, so I can't help thinking Noscript is doing something wrong.

Am I missing something obvious? I've tried creating a fresh profile with only Noscript installed to rule out interference from something else and see the same issue. Worst case, I'll simply uninstall Noscript and do without it in SM 1.1 under Linux.
______
Dennis
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100413 Firefox/3.6.4 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)