[RESOLVED] Invisible PayPal button

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Confused and hairless

[RESOLVED] Invisible PayPal button

Post by Confused and hairless »

I've had a look at the FAQ's and some of the forum postings but can't see anything relevant. It relates to Clickbank (and probably any other site that does similar things). Clickbank allows you to pay for e-goods via a credit card directly from their site or you can use PayPal, for which CB provides a PP button which takes you to PayPal to effect a payment. This button appears on other browsers (e.g. Opera, The World and Safari) but doesn't appear using FF with NS, or at least in recent versions, i.e. it used to. I've put entries in the XSS Exceptions for PP, CB and PayPal Objects (by copying the line for wikipedia and replacing `wikipedia' with paypal, paypalobjects and clickbank and changing http to https). I still can't get the PP button in FF. Can you tell me what mod is required in order to get the button displayed please?

Is there anywhere which describes the syntax used in the XSS exceptions?
Mozilla/5.0 Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Invisible PayPal button

Post by therube »

This button:

I see that regardless of whether anything is allowed or not.

Starting at this page, http://www.registryfix.com/purchase/.
Click the Secure Order button takes you to (given link may not be valid, but the idea is), https://ssl.clickbank.net/order/orderfo ... try=&zipc=&
From there, the Paypal picture does display for me.

FYI, ClickBank.
(I would think much of dubious value would come from ClickBank?)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090403 SeaMonkey/1.1.16
Confused and hairless

Strange. I don't get the button at all. I can't see anything else in my add-ons that might affect FF that way either.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Start FF in Safe Mode & see if the button shows.
If not, create a new, clean Profile & see if the button shows.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090403 SeaMonkey/1.1.16
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

This might be completely wrong and if it is, I am sorry therube, but could it be that somehow the button is being used like a bookmarklet and being blocked via setting in NS on untrusted sites and on trusted by virtue of selecting apply to trusted too? I checked like you did and it shows up for me without having to allow anything but our settings could be different. Or is there possibly a copy of Adblock installed with a rogue filter that is somehow blocking this button? Maybe add an exception? Anyway, just thinking out loud.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 FlashGot/1.1.8.5 FirePHP/0.2.4
Confused and hairless

Profuse apologies for maligning NS. I used FF in Safe Mode and the button appeared. I started FF normally and disabled and restarted FF, successively, for each extension that I thought might be causing the problem. The button refused to appear. I then started FF with all extensions, apart from Tab Mix, CookieSafe and NS disabled and the button appeared. It then hit me what might be the culprit- AdBlockPlus, and it turned out to be so. It obviously updated itself at the same time as NS did some time back and I assumed (and it did make an ass out of me) that NS was the culprit when the button disappeared. Ho hum, apologies again for the wild goose chase.

If anyone else has the problem (and wants to solve it), just click the arrow next to ABP and select "Disable On This Page Only" and voila, the button magically reappears, and it works.

P.S. regarding your initial comment of "I would think much of dubious value would come from ClickBank?", it's like a lot of things: you've got to go through a whole lot of dirt before you find the odd diamond or two.
Mozilla/5.0 Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.0
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Re: [RESOLVED] Invisible PayPal button

Post by Alan Baxter »

Thank you, Confused and hairless, for getting back to us with your solution.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Glad you got it worked out and that it was something as simple as a rogue Adblock filter that was causing it. You do know that you can just exempt that particular filter (by opening blockable items on that page and look at the red lines that have blocked something and exempt the one that is blocking your button) rather than disable Adblock all together on that page right (this way you can get the benefit of Adblock's protection while restoring function)?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 FirePHP/0.2.4
Confused and hairless

GµårÐïåñ

Yes thanks I do know about using the line by line Adblock information but if anyone else reading this doesn't, it's good advice. I (sort of) trust Clickbank's order pages, they don't have ads and I'd be a bit surprised if they started in the future (they make too much money without them). It's just easier to o.k. the whole page in this case.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I figured you might already know but just wanted to make sure, I would be remiss otherwise. Have fun and good luck.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 AdblockPlus/1.0.1 NoScript/1.9.1.8 RequestPolicy/0.5.4 FirePHP/0.2.4
emaxwell

Post by emaxwell »

This DID WORK! :D
If anyone else has the problem (and wants to solve it), just click the arrow next to ABP and select "Disable On This Page Only" and voila, the button magically reappears, and it works.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1