Typed wrong google and got redirect.. help ?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Silence2r

Typed wrong google and got redirect.. help ?

Post by Silence2r »

Hi,

I accidentally typed http://www.gogle.ro instead of http://www.google.ro and that website redirected me to a very strange website called : http://69.6.27.18/facebook/spotthedifference/
NoScript blocked the website and gave me a link of it, instead of giving me the website. I closed the webpage immediately and went to history and spotted another website just before typing http: //www.gogle.ro, and that was : http://login.tracking101.com/sw/95016/CD47880/

My question to you guys is.. did NoScript protect me from a possible malitios attack ? Or cookie stealing ? or should I start to worry and reinstall my windows ?
If someone has the courage, please test it out!

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Alan Baxter on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disabled only link which didn't go to google.ro
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Re: Typed wrong google and got redirect.. help ?

Post by Alan Baxter »

I tested it out with NoScript while running Firefox in Sandboxie. Looks to me like NoScript blocked any problems this time. Don't worry.

BTW, To prevent problems caused by typos, I almost never use urls typed into the address bar. I pretty much just click on links or access bookmarks and history with the Awesome bar. It's a good thing gogle.ro didn't phish you with a perfect imitation of a google login page. Would you have been tricked into giving away your password? (I know I might have been.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6
Silence2r

Post by Silence2r »

Thanks for the help! I can't imagine surfing the web without noscript, what an amazing plugin
EDIT: Tracking101 also added a tracking cookie to my browser but I deleted it manually.. let's hope it won't come back..
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

You're welcome. Good catch with the cookie. I've configured Firefox to Keep cookies until I close the browser so cookies like that are automatically deleted. I usually restart Firefox at least once a day.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

I think all the links are 1 in the same?

Ah never mind. I see Alan pulled some trickery.

If you want to see the bogus links, you'll need to type the URLs.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9pre) Gecko/20100205 SeaMonkey/2.0.3pre
computerfreaker

Post by computerfreaker »

Probably somebody trying to steal your Facebook credentials or give you one of the zillion viruses that are spreading all over Facebook. Ordinarily, I'd say it's just a FB activity of some kind (e.g. a game), but the deliberate "typo-phishing" doesn't leave much room for doubt.
With great power comes great responsibility.
Learn something new every day, and the rest will take care of itself.
Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

therube wrote:I think all the links are 1 in the same?
OP did it. I've never seen it done that way before. Select and copy gets the bogus link, but clicking on it is safe. Nifty!
Silence2r

Post by Silence2r »

Alan Baxter wrote:
therube wrote:I think all the links are 1 in the same?
OP did it. I've never seen it done that way before. Select and copy gets the bogus link, but clicking on it is safe. Nifty!
I did that so if someone actually clicked on a link (by mistake) they would not be in danger. Yes, you have to manually type them in the adress bar in order to work