Is NS Icon Correct Here???

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Is NS Icon Correct Here???

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I just noticed something that seemed odd to me, normally when you have decided on some content being untrusted and some being trusted it switches to the half shaded icon: Image but its not, instead showing partial.

Am I missing something or is this wrong? I have checked the icon explanations on the site: NoScript Features and the icon showing doesn't fit any condition described other than the one shown above, which is not the icon being shown. I just want to understand it, that's all, if a bug, let's fix it, if not then understanding will come of it at least.

For the sake of not promoting the website, I will tell you that its a blogspot.com blog of mine where this occurs and looks as follows:

This used to show the proper icon before, but not sure when it stopped, since I have not checked that since 1.9.8.x so not sure when it might have been introduced or if its by function and I just need to get my head around it, whichever the case, your feedback is appreciated.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Is NS Icon Correct Here???

Post by Giorgio Maone »

That's because there are pending blocked objects, which otherwise would go unnoticed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I am assuming you mean the blocked objects? If that's the case, then understood. Thanks for clearing it up, but I figured since they are blocked by the untrusted categorization, the blocked elements are expected and normal. Apparently my mistake thinking that, meaning untrusted is untrusted page and content and all.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:I am assuming you mean the blocked objects? If that's the case, then understood. Thanks for clearing it up, but I figured since they are blocked by the untrusted categorization, the blocked elements are expected and normal. Apparently my mistake thinking that, meaning untrusted is untrusted page and content and all.
I was one of those who actually requested the change in logo color for blocked objects other than those shown in the main menu as domain-named scripts, after Yahoo started using IFrame-loaded objects for email attachment upload. The non-tech user would have no idea why the upload doesn't work on a "trusted" page (Yahoo mail) with the NS logo unchanged. So the change lets them know that something is pending, as Giorgio said, so they can see what it is they need to allow to make the upload work. (just one example.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

hmm, ok, then its going to take some time for me to retrain myself because for me untrusted/trusted decisions, once made, were to apply to all decisions, pending or not, and it would show the gray, now it doesn't, so that is going to annoy me for a while. I mean if the object (pdf/flash/whatever) need to be allowed to work but its coming from an untrusted site and I have already said to block those objects for the untrusted site, to me there is nothing pending, the decision is made and should be honored. This is going to complicate things a bit but I guess I'll get used to it.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:<<< I mean if the object (pdf/flash/whatever) need to be allowed to work but its coming from an untrusted site and I have already said to block those objects for the untrusted site, to me there is nothing pending, the decision is made and should be honored. ...
I already have IFrames forbidden for *all* sites, including trusted ones like mail.yahoo ("Apply to trusted sites too"), so this IFrame is properly blocked and the logo changed.
However, if yours is coming from a site *that you have already marked as completely untrusted*, then yes, I see a difference in the two situations, and Giorgio will have to explain why the "Untrusted" is not honored for the blocked objects. It seems that they, too, should be in the "Untrusted" menu along with the others.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Mine is the second condition you explained and hence why my confusion. Maybe Giorgio can clarify more for me, although he has already been kind enough to post a response, I am just not convinced. Perhaps a bit more discussion would clear the knot in my brain over this distinction. :ugeek:
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

If your blocked objects are from vimeo or gmodules, then NS is behaving as designed, since they are both trusted, and the issue becomes, should NS icon differentiate between only blocked objects and blocked scripts. I also proposed that it should.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

al_9x wrote:If your blocked objects are from vimeo or gmodules, then NS is behaving as designed, since they are both trusted, and the issue becomes, should NS icon differentiate between only blocked objects and blocked scripts. I also proposed that it should.
Guardian has already said that the blocked objects are coming from untrusted sites, as he differentiated from my situation, where blocked objects come from a trusted site (mail.yahoo.) I won't bother quoting, as the posts are short and right above.
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

If you have "No placeholder for objects coming from sites marked as untrusted" checked, then untrusted sites should not produce blocked objects. If they still do then I would think that's a bug and you should post the url so it can be reproduced.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I didn't post the site for sake of not promoting it, even though its my own. But I did state that its a blogspot.com blog and anyone with one, can test it out just as easily or with any number of them found doing a google search. If you want, contact me via PM and I will give you the link in private as to not put it the open forum (which would be a violation of the forum rules).
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

How can it be against the rules to post a url that demonstrates a bug, when that's the very purpose of this forum?

1) Do you have "No placeholder for objects coming from sites marked as untrusted" checked?
2) If so, what are your blocked objects?
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Because it could just as easily be reproduced without the explicit reference. However, I will put it here, if someone finds its presence offensive, just edit it out. http://michaelx1974.blogspot.com
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

Did you not see these? They are for you, GµårÐïåñ.

1) Do you have "No placeholder for objects coming from sites marked as untrusted" checked?
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

al_9x wrote:Did you not see these? They are for you, GµårÐïåñ.

I did and didn't, got distracted, sorry. No, I do not have that checked. And the extension to the picture I posted before with the object menu expanded, you see this:

I didn't include the untrusted menu expanded, but there is infosniper.net on it as well as googlesyndication.com
(the #2 you see in the untrusted is these)