Force HTTPS Behaves Unexpectedly

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Force HTTPS Behaves Unexpectedly

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I wanted to know if anyone could explain to me why setting a domain to force HTTPS ends up giving the following.

First case: Dell DFS (image too large for inline posting so click on link instead) and note the address on the top and the bizarre NoScript menu. So why is it not forcing it and better yet why doesn't say anything but rather sits there completely unusable or non-interactive? Second case: eBay

Information that should not matter but to prevent from a bunch of unnecessary questions, Windows 7, NOT 64, Latest NS, Latest Fx, clean profile with NS only with the same results.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
computerfreaker

Re: Force HTTPS Behaves Unexpectedly

Post by computerfreaker »

Weird.
Especially strange are the square brackets around the site name in the NoScript menu; that doesn't happen during normal web browsing, AFAICT.
I don't have a solution, but I also have a (maybe with a similar cause?) problem with HTTPS. Frequently, when I go to a site that I have Force HTTPS set on, I end up with partially authenticated content. Force HTTPS is on, Force Secure Cookies is on, and the page still loads (partially) unsecurely although the address bar shows https://
Proof of this is the padlock icon, which shows an exclamation point; double proof is that, when submitting information, Fx asks "Although the page is loaded securely, the information you entered will be sent over an unencrypted connection. Do you want to proceed?" (sorry, I don't have the exact wording handy right now)
Example site on which this occurs: explorelearning.com
Hit the "login" button on the upper-right corner of the window; no credentials are required to test this, since the login page is the page with the (in)security problem.

Anybody else having Force-HTTPS problems?
With great power comes great responsibility.
Learn something new every day, and the rest will take care of itself.
Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Yes, my FF 3.5.3 / 3.5.4 / 3.5.5 / 3.6 beta crash if i use force https on forums.comodo.com

If i remove that from forced https all things return to normal.
The crashes seem to occur on pages with mixed content....
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@GµårÐïåñ:
Have you got NoScript Options|Advanced|HTTPS|Forbid active web content unless... set to anything except "Never"?
What does your "Force the following sites to use HTTPS" box look like?

@computerfreaker:
this is probably due to www.explorelearning.com linking resources from cs.explorelearning.com, which has no valid certificate.

@Ronny:
can I see your most recent about:crashes reports?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
computerfreaker

Giorgio Maone wrote:@computerfreaker:
this is probably due to http://www.explorelearning.com linking resources from cs.explorelearning.com, which has no valid certificate.
Oh, thanks. I wasn't sure what was going on there...
I assume, since cs.explorelearning.com has no valid certificate, "Force HTTPS" is powerless to help me with that?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

You may try to allow the proposed certificate (which is the one for www.explorelearning.com), enhancing your security anyway, but Firefox will probably keep showing the broken lock icon.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@GµårÐïåñ:
Have you got NoScript Options|Advanced|HTTPS|Forbid active web content unless... set to anything except "Never"?
What does your "Force the following sites to use HTTPS" box look like?
Yes its set to when using a proxy, but I am not using a proxy when this happens, I disabled it by setting it to never and no change.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
computerfreaker

Giorgio Maone wrote:You may try to allow the proposed certificate (which is the one for http://www.explorelearning.com), enhancing your security anyway, but Firefox will probably keep showing the broken lock icon.
Thanks. I think I'll just leave things the way they are now and not create any special exceptions...
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Sure it's linking to this page here
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Please check latest development build 1.9.9.16 and let me know, thanks.
Ehtyar

Post by Ehtyar »

Thank you very much Giorgio, I ended up determining force https was causing crashes in my browser (i was forcing https for *donationcoder.com), and your development release seems to have fixed it.

Thanks again,

Ehtyar.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Seems like it's fixed, didn't crash all day.
Thanks Giorgio for the great application :D